SL+ sounds like a Rockman - recommendation needed

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunton

Reaction score
OK, I love the blackface - very nice, perfect sound, but I am having trouble finding the perfect distortion sound.

My rig:
Fender Am Deluxe Strat (vintage Noiseless) -> Boss GT-8 -> RM4 -> Mesa 20/20 -> Carvin Legacy 2x12 (closed back config).

The blackface is sweet for the cleans - no surprise there. I have an SL+ and a Recto. The recto sounds fine but not really suitable for my cover stuff. I am looking for a Def Leppard (High N Dry, Pyromania), Rush 2112 type of sound. Of, course, the guitar is still single coil, but those vintage noiseless are pretty hot.

My SL+ was modified by it's previous owner (cap mod) and basically it seems that no matter what I do, I get the midrange honk of a Rockman. Don't get me wrong, I still have my original Distortion Generator and it has its place, but not for what I am doing here.

Is it just the guitar, or maybe too many lows removed from the Cap Mod? Can you suggest the modules that might be what I am looking for?

Thanks for any pointers. Dave

I gotta say after a little tweaking and suggestions for other members here, I would recommend you try the Plexi module.

You can get some killer classic rock tones with that module and with an OD pedal ran w/ it you can vary the tones more. I personally use it stock and use my XTC for heavier stuff and my clean module for cleans. But am going to get the BF here shortly.

The clean is just to plain for my taste w/ no variations - but that was its purpose I guess :p

+1 on the Plexi and use the SL+ for leads. If you were going for Hysteria type sounds you would be right on as that was recorded with a Rockman Sustainor and EQ.

Also, how does the mid range honk sound with the band? Or have you only tried it alone. The midrange will help you cut through much better.

There is more than one mod commonly performed on the SL+ module...one to reduce bass, another to increase midrange. Are you sure which one was done by the previous owner? Maybe both?

The cap mods are so easily implemented/reversed that there's no reason not to try them before giving up on your SL+. If you are not comfortable doing them yourself, print out the instructions on Grailtone (link is stickied here in the Module forum) and take them to your nearest amp repair place...they can make the changes in about 5 minutes.

If you still aren't happy after undoing the SL+ mod(s), most folks here will recommend the Plexi module. Personally, I wasn't happy with the Plexi until I did the .001 cap mod to it (too much bass for me before). Ironically, after performing this mod, I compared the resulting tone to Def Leppard's second album (see my post on this subject on this board).

Good luck.

Gary