Salvation Mods visiting Michael Wagener?s studio

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salvation

Reaction score
During my trip to USA on Nashville Amp Expo exhibiton were invited by our VIP client Michael Wagener to his Wire World studio.
For those who do not know: Michael Wagener is a music producer, mixer, and engineer, best known for his work with many top hard rock and heavy metal bands in the late 80's. Wagener's works have sold over ninetyfour million albums worldwide. Wagener has produced or mixed platinum selling albums by M?tley Cr?e, W.A.S.P., Overkill, Accept, Great White, Stryper, Poison, Keel, Alice Cooper, Extreme, Megadeth, Janet Jackson, Ozzy Osbourne, Dokken, Metallica, White Lion, and Skid Row.
Michael is also president of Double Trouble Productions, Inc.
www.michaelwagener.com
In his famous studio rack, which contains 6 RM4 preamps, and which is called ?RACK OF DOOM? in top position is custom version SALVADO Deluxe module, called Wagener module.
Beside Wagener module Michael already owns Stonerverb module and another special custom module called Wagener GT.

Michael is very cool guy with great sense of humor,his asistent Shani too! We had a lot of fun in his studio. I was surprised how good sounds old 80?s ADA MP1 preamp, so I want to do ADA based module in future:)

We did some photos and Michael checked another Salvation Modules. He was amazed mainly by Mamba and Mash-All+.
Now his Rack of Doom contains another Salvation modules: new DUOPLEX and MAMBA Limited Edition gold.
Michael also checked Mash-All+ and told it nails all these Marshall tones very well, so he immediatelly ordered Mash All+ too.
I am sure that such a preson like MW should really know Marshall tones, so I am pretty honoured by his comment and order.

I asked Michael about some recordings where he used Salvation modules. His anter was simple: on all of them. His favorite module is still Soldano based Wagener module. Michael told that this is his main module used on all rhythm guiatr parts from recorder in last 2 years.
Instead of usual samples now you can listen Salvation module in top professional recording and mix.
Marija : http://youtu.be/r3DL9qzmXOQ
Lordi: http://youtu.be/zDCnJX-XybY

some photos from Wire World studios:
Anthony and MW:
MW_T_wall_of_doom.jpg

Rack of doom:
MW_Wall_of_doom.jpg

Nashville_trip_2011_10_.jpg

Nashville_trip_2011_7_.jpg

Nashville_trip_2011_6_.jpg

Anthoni and Michaels assistant Shani Gandhi
T_Shani_Wall_of_doom.jpg

"WTB: Assistant"

:lol:

Cool Anthony, seems like Mr Wagener is a loyal customer

As for an MP-1 Mod,...already have the original :wink:

Congrats Anthony, you have certainly pushed the bar higher regarding MTS!

I was wondering, did Michael mention anything about his use of the Torpedo in that rack?

Thanks...

Look at Anthony sucking it in with the hot chick! :lol: :lol: We all do it!

Just hanging out.... :)
MW_T_wall_of_doom.jpg

Hot chick alert!
T_Shani_Wall_of_doom.jpg

In all seriousness, your tight relationship with such a great producer is well deserved...Glad the trip went well!

What a great studio! If only more people knew of the amazing tones available from MTS, such a lot of tone built into a fairly compact package.
Well done Anthony. I saw atleast one other modder represented there also.
Michael's rack is rather delightful too Matt.

Agreed on all accounts...And yes, Michael's Rack of Doom is by far the most impressive MTS endorsement and display ever made...So cool....I would LOVE to see it in person...

I wonder how often he changes tubes?

That is cool. I know it is just a studio rig, but can you imagine lugging something like that out to a gig... :lol:

What is he using for a power section or are the RM4s recorded direct?

Hamner1 said:
That is cool. I know it is just a studio rig, but can you imagine lugging something like that out to a gig... :lol:

I think the answer is at the bottom of the rack.

The 2U white unit is a Two notes Torpedo VB 101, a power amp and speaker simulation unit, at this time the most advanced hardware simulation AFAIK

There are also two RT2/50's in the rack lower down.
He uses those with the array of cabs in the live room AFAIK.

The strip you see with Speakon plugs is used to connect the different cabs to the poweramps / heads (also out of shot).

The schematic on the left shows which pre / power / cab config is used.

The Torpedo doesn't simulate a power amp, rather it is a load box and cab/mic/room sim, so MW can use any power amp he wants with it.

chacal said:
Hamner1 said:

I think the answer is at the bottom of the rack.

The 2U white unit is a Two notes Torpedo VB 101, a power amp and speaker simulation unit, at this time the most advanced hardware simulation AFAIK

Indeed. The VB101 cannot, But the VM202 can. And it is a VB101 in MW's rack... my mistake ;)

So I suppose He send the RM4s in any of the power section of the amplifiers and then the signal go back in the rack to the Torpedo...

Congratulations. It must be heartwarming to have a guy responsible for so many classic recordings giving credit to your work. And I must say I can't help but grin thinking my rack had a Mamba in it before Wagener's rack! :)

Very cool also to read you were impressed by the ADA. I still have my MP-1 classic and won't part with it. It's just one of these plug and play pieces of gear that never gets old.

If you can get a mod to have the classic Extreme / White Lion sounds Wagener captured on tape along with a cool faceplate, I would definitely be up for one.

I am up for a white lion big game tone module although I do have a mp-1 the module sound more alive........

Steven Latch said:
Very cool also to read you were impressed by the ADA. I still have my MP-1 classic and won't part with it. It's just one of these plug and play pieces of gear that never gets old.

If you can get a mod to have the classic Extreme / White Lion sounds Wagener captured on tape along with a cool faceplate, I would definitely be up for one.

Yes, and I have exact description from Michael about which version of MP1 was used and which preset was used, etc.
I was lucky enough to buy exactly the same version of ADA MP1, it is already on its way to me. Important thing for development and A/B testing.
I know that it is still probably easier to buy old ADA MP1 instead of module.
I have some feedbacks that sounds of ADA MP1 is old, and non actual now. I Agree, it is not contemporary higain sound.
It is sound of 80?s or early 90?s rock/metal.
But Salvation Mods wants to map all important amps in history of Rock n roll. Ada MP1 definitely deserves to be there.
Without digital presets, with common analog pots, without dropouts during switching, without solid-state mode.
But with its unmistakeable sound used on a lot of famous albums.

Hamner1 said:

Michael uses RM 4?s into RT2/50 ?s. They are mounted in other rack.
Different speaker cabinets with various speakers and mics are in different room.
NAE2011_054.jpg

This picture I found in Michaels control room, very kewl:)
195.jpg

No worries (I just got lucky as I hadn't heard about the VM202 yet LOL)!

Have you played the VM202 yet? If yes, thoughts...

chacal said:
Indeed. The VB101 cannot, But the VM202 can. And it is a VB101 in MW's rack... my mistake ;)

So I suppose He send the RM4s in any of the power section of the amplifiers and then the signal go back in the rack to the Torpedo...

djdayson said:
No worries (I just got lucky as I hadn't heard about the VM202 yet LOL)!

Have you played the VM202 yet? If yes, thoughts...

chacal said:

Not yet, I have only tried the VB 101 a friend own, two notes stuff is too expensive for me :(
Anyway if you want a preview of the power amp+ speaker simulation you can download the PI-free plugin ;)