Changing tubes on modules.. recommend me a new tubes.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrm4

Reaction score
I'm changing my M4's SL++ module's tubes soon.
Two questions.

1. Never done this before, how do I remove them. By pulling or any tips.. should be easy I guess.

2. Recommend me a good sounding tubes. I'm looking for tight bass response, good for hi-gain, tube that brings out marshall :)

I love the SL+ (I have the Randall version), and I've got an RFT in there that is amazing. It definitely distorts quickly, so I just have a single one in there along with a JJ.

I found the following were best for me: (generally V1 was the main factor)

SL+: Sovtek LPS
Recto: JJ ecc83s
Brown: Shuang? (chinese 8th generation)
Top boost: EH
Blackface: Sovtek 12ax7WB (Was shocked on that one!)
Ultra Lead: Mesa boogie SPax7-A (High quality 12ax7 with tube wrap)

V1 on the RM4: Ei

What seemed to work on NOTHING: GT "Mullard" reissue. JUNK IMO!

I always went with new Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH's and they never failed me! They sound killer in just about every module I had them in! Good stuff, I highly recommend them! Plus, since they are new and not NOS or anything like that, you have less chance of getting a shot tube if you buy them new from a dealer! :)

guitarguy510 said:
Plus, since they are new and not NOS or anything like that, you have less chance of getting a shot tube if you buy them new from a dealer! :)

I like the EH preamp tubes too, as well as the 9th generation Shuguang Chinese preamp tubes, but you can just as easily get a dud new tube as with NOS. If you buy well screened NOS preamp tubes you stand a better chance of longevity than most any current production stuff. The QC at GE, Philips, MO Valve, etc. just isn't matched by the current factories in Serbia, Russia, China, etc. although I hope that will change. I've got numerous used Mullard/Amperex/Telefunken "pulls" that flat out smoke any new production preamp tube I can buy. I suspect the RM modules are voiced to sound great with modern tubes like the EH, so that's a GOOD thing. I bought up quite a stash of NOS tubes around 15 years ago, most of them untested and I've very rarely found a dud.

I have an rm100 with blackface Sl+ xtc and coming soon 1086. I was thinking of using Groove tubes for the preamp tubes. They always sound good in the power section. I was also thinking of going with one lower gain tube in the blackface for a little more clean headroom.
Im like really warm sounding tubes. So groove tubes or maybe JJ?

I also have a Carvin x100b that I was thinking of using groove tubes in. Does the amp make alot of difference to what tubes sound better? I dont have a lot of money to experiment.

GT's will do in a pinch if you lose a tube and need to get one quickly from the local GCenter.

But there are lots of online dealers that carry much better quality choices. I personally have had success with http://thetubestore.com/

Preamp tubes are cheap enough to buy a bunch of types and try them out.