Ultra XL

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phloyd

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Ultra XL? Just wondering how it sounds for palm muting and lead work compared to the other modules.

I dont know anything about it except its supposed to come out soon and I heard its supposed to accomadate Dimebags tone. Not directly but in general. I was wondering the same thing because im thinking about getting the 1086 but I want some info on the ultra xl first.
devin

Well I got my Ultra XL today and . . .. . OOH MY! I have yet to crank it through the stack, but in my combo it rips. This thing has gain for days. It handles palm mutes great without mushing out I'll crank up the stack tomorrow and post my findings.

hi,

please can you do some clips?, and, can you compared to the ultra module?

clips like ultra v/s ultra xl will be awesome!

thanks!

****, I'm going to have to get an RM4 soon. . . too many good modules, not enough slots.

Hi Guys,

I have both modules (1080 & UltraXL) i would be happy to do clips but don't know how to post them?
Also what sort of preference do you have for creating soundclips? in a mix with drum and bass?, standalone?, music styles etc etc

Hey rickgk,
soundclips both of the modules by themselves and the modules in context with other instruments (drums and bass) would be most appreciated and also most helpful, because all to often us guitarist forget about the context of our sound in an overall band mix.

Thanks much,
Distortoman

Rick,

I have room left on my Penn State webspace (I'm surprised they haven't removed it yet as I graduated last fall!) so if you want I can host them for you. Just record whatever you want, put them into a zip file and shoot them over to matt DOT fgarcia AT gmail DOT com and I will host them for you. I too (even though I don't have my RM4 or RM100 anymore) am excited to hear the Ultra XL... if it is as killer as I've heard I may pick up an RM4 again and just stock it with an Ultra XL and a 1086! :D

No Problem guys i will get something down this sunday & email to guitarguy, sorry i can't do anything sooner but i work a full time day job and gig 3-4 nights a week so spare time is hard to come by.

Sorry guys i didn't get a chance to do the recording yesterday, wednesday night is the next chance i will get, sorry. I did have a good play with the UltraXL module though, sounds great, but i would still choose the 1080 for the extra versatility and because you can get quite a close comparison to the UltraXL from the 1080. But then again the 1080 is more expensive too so i guess it depends on what is more important to you versatility or price? if your after all out high gain and don't care for the versatility then save yourself a few bucks and get the UltraXL, but if you want more versatility and don't mind spending extra for it then go the 1080. One thing to note is that the UltraXL seems to have less bass than alot of the other modules, it actually had me reaching for the density knob on the RM100.

Bad news guys those clips may take a little longer, i had problems with my RM100 at the gig last night, after switching out of standby mode there was no sound from my amp for over a minute, and had 3-4 loud pops in the meantime, it seemed fine after that but it's off to the the amp tech after work today.
I hope this is not the start of big drama's with this unit, i used to have the RT250 poweramp and had major failure after failure with that and ended up offloading it for the RM100, i am seriously starting to worry about the reliability of randall gear.
Anyway as soon as i get it back i will make up some clips, i might as well do clips of all my modules, blackface, top boost, recto, xtc, 1080, UltraXL, & Ultra Lead. Sorry for the delay.

I have used Randall gear for the past 3 years now, as well as live as rehearsals, pretty much every day, and I must say it is VERY realiable.