Favorite Overdrive?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tommy,

Just for an FYI, I use the Behringer Pro-curve for EQ, it's midi capable, transparent, graphic or parametric, and very easy to use., XLR in and out . For $ 299 it's a great rack mount EQ. Just a bit of info from a satisfied user.

AND my M4 arrives on 2-2-07 , can't wait....:)

H

Wow, pragramable EQ with parametric or graphic and it sounds good? That's hard to beat. You can do a lot with EQ, it's amazing. Is the overall volume progamable as well? That would be grat for boosting leads up a few dB.

TT,

It's actually the Behringer Ultra Curve -Pro. There are more options,but I only use the graphic EQ. The input line level, and output line levels are programmable. You can even define the bandwidth, EQ the left and right channels the same( split) , or individual settings for both left and right channels. I hate adjusting settings from one guitar to the next, so this is a convenient way to save EQ presets. A lead boost using the same single channel module is easy. I looked at Mackey and Rane EQ's but they were toooo much $$ for a rack mount.
The inputs are XLR, output XLR or 1/4 ", and it has a cool amber display screen.
check it out at MF - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-DEQ2496-UltraCurve-Pro-Mastering-Processor?sku=182484

H

Cool, thanks Howard.

Are you saying the Rane and the Mackey units are programmable as well?

And I totally agree about switching guitars, that is a cool way to fix that problem. I see you also have an Intellifex. Doesn't that have a programable parametric in it? My Replifex does. That's another reason for me to get that unit back out and experiment with some EQ.

Tommy,

No the Itellifex does not have the EQ, unlike the Chameleon and the Replifex. That is a nice feature, don't know why they removed it from the Intellifex and later version of the Chameleon, but that would be a good way to EQ and save the presets. You could also just increase the direct and effect levels for your leads on the Replifex. I have the old blackface Chameleon, and the pre and post eq is pretty cool, but the preamp is pretty sterile. Great for a later VH 5150 album sound though, almost perfect.

Get that Mod 50 yet ? :)

H

Cool idea. I used to use my Replifex more, but I had taken to using my Vox Tonelab SE (sans amp models of course) in the loop because the delays are absolutely spectacular. I may have to go back to the Rocktron though. Better volume and EQ control. You can program a lead sound to be louder etc. Cool idea about using the built in mixer to bump the effects levels up too, I used to just adjust the final over all programable output volume. A combinantion of bumping up both levels could acheive some cool effects. Plus now I'm really into EQing each tone & that way each guitar sounds right. I noticed on my gig last week that while the Vox TL SE does have great delay, the ability to really distinguish one type from the other live was minimal. In that situation, good delay = good delay. One down side though. I would really miss the Rotary sounds on the Vox. They are very nice.

Oh and my MOD 50 left Phoenix AZ this morning at 12:32 AM according to the FedEx tracking. Should be in my hands Monday or Tuesday I figure.

even if you lose bass with an overdrive wouldn't be easy to get it back with these amps it seems like they are not short when it comes to bass. i've never tried an overdrive but have been thinking about it for some of my mods and was wondering, having heard a little about that being an issue with some pedals.

A while back there was a posting about the Vox Cooltron pedals. I played the Big Ben overdrive a while ago and it's not at all like a Tube Screamer in texture - more like a Buttler Tube Driver, really.

If the TS variety of pedals could be described with one word as gritty, the TD variety could be described as fat. Then of course they all have gritt and compression in their sound to some degree.

Ton's of people talking about the Caitlin SILVER KISS overdrive on TGP. They are going on eBay for about $160.

Anybody try one?

Well it's not an overdrive per se, but my T-Rex Mudhoney showed up yesterday. It's dials down into OD teritory but has tons of thick meaty distortion and generally falls more into that category. Any way, if you have ever been curious it's a hell of a pedal. Thick and sweet like the name implies. I think it lines up really well with the sound I like and the Egnater EG3/4 type tone. In fact last night in the studio I was running it into the B channel of the SL module. Insatnt EG3! Very nice stuff. I've heard these are associated with T.C. Electronics. It's made in Denmark, so it kinda figures. Very refined sounding but could definately git ugly on you if you wanted it to.