Scott Ian

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulf

Reaction score
I had a chance to check out all three Scott Ian modules with my RM4 (Rivera TBR-300 Poweramp, 4x12 G12T-75 cab).

Here's what I think:
Malcolm:
gives me good crunchy Plex sounds with active and passive PUs. With Gain set higher than noon it is a real cool hard rocker, think AC/DC, Airbourne. However, I need to dial in the treble pretty high and switch the bright on to give it enough bite. It sounds great, unless you place the SM DuoPlex next to it. That module is just better.

1987:
Uses 3 Gain stages so it is more a Plex than an SL+. Anyway, it offers enough gainn for tight JCM heavy rhythms. Good at lower gain, great a higher gain. The midrange is effective. I compared it to a modified SL+ and a MashAll and found it to deliver great metal tones with passives and actives. Also works well for lower tunings. It is not super high gain but it is definitely one of the best stock modules so far.

The Nuts:
This one has the highest gain (4 stages) of the three. Depending on the guitar it sounded good (passive Dimarzios) or too spikey (EMGs). The module is more compressed and less dynamic. A matter of taste, I'd say. It can deliver modern metal with a Marshall flavour. Definitely a module to try first.

Of all modules, the 1987 would be my keeper. Even though I own a Judge, SL+, DuoPlex, Mashall an KH3.

I have all three myself.

Agee with your review. Onlu disagreement is about the Malcolm. It is really shy on gain (even with JJ tubes). Hardly enough gain for AC/DC, but reacts great to a clean boost. But great tone. I have a friedman brahma and I somehow think the Malcolm sounds a bit more opened, in your face and natural.

Ulf said:
I had a chance to check out all three Scott Ian modules with my RM4 (Rivera TBR-300 Poweramp, 4x12 G12T-75 cab).

Here's what I think:
Malcolm:
gives me good crunchy Plex sounds with active and passive PUs. With Gain set higher than noon it is a real cool hard rocker, think AC/DC, Airbourne. However, I need to dial in the treble pretty high and switch the bright on to give it enough bite. It sounds great, unless you place the SM DuoPlex next to it. That module is just better.

1987:
Uses 3 Gain stages so it is more a Plex than an SL+. Anyway, it offers enough gainn for tight JCM heavy rhythms. Good at lower gain, great a higher gain. The midrange is effective. I compared it to a modified SL+ and a MashAll and found it to deliver great metal tones with passives and actives. Also works well for lower tunings. It is not super high gain but it is definitely one of the best stock modules so far.

The Nuts:
This one has the highest gain (4 stages) of the three. Depending on the guitar it sounded good (passive Dimarzios) or too spikey (EMGs). The module is more compressed and less dynamic. A matter of taste, I'd say. It can deliver modern metal with a Marshall flavour. Definitely a module to try first.

Of all modules, the 1987 would be my keeper. Even though I own a Judge, SL+, DuoPlex, Mashall an KH3.

Because of the Judge I just got (also Friedman designed) and yours and Steven Latch's review, I now have total GAS over the 1987!! :shock:

The 1987 is really worth it in my opinion....

The tone controls are very effective. I could mimick the judge's second mode with it quite accurately, but in the higher gain settings, it can also get in the boosted JCM800 territory. Grab one if you can :)

Steven Latch said:
I have all three myself.

Agee with your review. Onlu disagreement is about the Malcolm. It is really shy on gain (even with JJ tubes). Hardly enough gain for AC/DC, but reacts great to a clean boost. But great tone. I have a friedman brahma and I somehow think the Malcolm sounds a bit more opened, in your face and natural.

I should give it a try using a clean boost. You are right.

Clean boosts are a funny thing... I use a maxon OD-9 with varied results. Often it tend to give the sound more bite but at the expense of less bass. On the malcolm it really feels like I'm turning the gain on without effect on tone which is great. I guess they just like each other! :)

Steven Latch said:
Clean boosts are a funny thing... I use a maxon OD-9 with varied results. Often it tend to give the sound more bite but at the expense of less bass. On the malcolm it really feels like I'm turning the gain on without effect on tone which is great. I guess they just like each other! :)

Thanks for the advice. I just gave Malcolm a try with my TightBoost. Great combination indeed. It gives more drive, clearity and defintion. Also, a VHT V-Drive gave me good results when giving it mainly a level boost.

On the other hand I found 1987 didn't take the booster that well - maybe because it mimics a boosted JCM? However, I was just surprised how good the 1987 took the VHT overdrive. It just that classic Thrash sound for plam mute stakkato. Love it.

The 1987 is a very surprising module. It can go from AC/DC to muted metal palm really well. The latter is not surprising but I find myself using it with the gain at noon for a great rock crunch. I haven't A/B's them but I guess the boosted malcom should sound quite close to the 1987 with the gain at noon.

Glad you're liking the malcolm with a boost too!

Yes, that's right. The 1987 takes off, where Malcom leaves. When boost , the character is more alike. Alone, I think Malcolm could offer more treble.
Great stuff!

I also think "The Nuts" can sound good with the right guitar. Scott used Jeff Beck passives and does neither boost the 1987 nor the Nuts. Nuts is his solo module.