RH100 G2 whistling/squealing problem.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robocorpse

Reaction score
Hi. I picked up a used RH100 V2 head a while ago.
I plug directly in with no pedals and no FX loop as I really like the natural sound of the amp for Metal.
There is a high pitched whistle/squeal coming from the dirty channel if I turn it above 6-7 on the gain knob, and the pitch alters if I mess with the EQ.
Sounds like something is unstable in the preamp, I have had similar problems in the past with cheap distortion pedals doing exactly the same thing.
I have tried different guitars and cables and the noise stays exactly the same. I tried the 10k resistor trick on the input and it altered the pitch of the whistle but didn't make it any quieter. It does it also when theres a cable plugged in but no guitar, or guitar with volume turned to zero.
How can I remedy this? I have electronics experience and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty if theres a failing component that might be causing this, or a mod I can do that would cure this irritating noise!

Also, the gain switch between gain 1 and gain 2 doesn't seem to do anything, or does it need the footswitch connected to do that?

Many thanks, sorry for long first post!