Do Egnater modules fit in Randall are they that much better?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CeeCee

Reaction score
I just bought my first Randall module amps so i'm probably asking a dumb question and i'm pretty certain i know the answer but to make certain do Egnater modules fit in a Randall RM100?

The second question is out of curiosity is something like the Egnater B'man that much better of a module then the Randall Tweed to warrant the extra price of the modules?

The next questions does the Egnater modules rival the modded modules such as Voodoo or gigmods ?

Thanks

Short answers. Yes it fits just fine.

The quality and tone might be a bit better than stock Randall's but if you have the cash, do the modded route. I do know for a fact that when compared to a Salvation Loneclean, the B'man can't really compete. And Voodoo and Gigmods and Jaded Faith are also super high quality.

The Egnater modules are more expensive because they are dual channel, tend to use better components than stock Randall and they were hand made by Bruce and his family.

You can only use one channel (A channel) of the Eggie modules with your RM100 unless you get Bruce to update the midi board ($400) to the dual channel version OR the module itself can be modded to default to the B channel (I understand that is not that difficult to do and I?ve seen Bruce offer to email the instructions).

Egnater has not offered any new modules in a few years now and since that time the modders have come up with a slew of offerings.

All that said I have been using a MOD50 for about 4 years now and have owned every module except the twin and sold them all except the B?man and EG3/4.

The B?man is great but the problem with it is for the A channel to stay clean you have to max out the master and then bring up the gain to just before it starts to break up then mix your other modules to it. I find the B channel to be magical; perfect for rock, fusion, jazz & blues not for metal at all; it?s a sweet overdrive.

The issue with the dual channel modules is having to compromise your settings to work with both channels. So the modded single channel modules are really going to give you the best of what your going for.

I just got an RM4 and running it into the loop return of the MOD50. I?ll be sending some donor modules off to Jaded Faith for the Supper Clean and Dumble OD Special and I have a Mash-Oldano on the way!

I wondered if any other modded mod junkies out there were still dig?n their Eggie modules though?

He is right. They fit and all work except for the dual channel Eggies. Only channel A of the module works. Its pricey but a Randall can be modded to run the B channel. Eggie modules are built with the best of parts. The tone of the Eggies can be considered dark sounding by most here. I love the Egnater Plexi over the Randall Plexi. Much more alive and warmer feel. Tone is subjective so you have to try stuff to see if you like it or not.
True price for price the modded modules out weigh stock Eggies but I know of a recent member that sold a Gigmods after he got a EG3. :wink:

BigBrewtus said:
I love the Egnater Plexi over the Randall Plexi. Much more alive and warmer feel.

I've been watching yours in the classifieds for weeks; good price very tempted.

BigBrewtus said:
I know of a recent member that sold a Gigmods after he got a EG3. :wink:

Many have said the EG3 has more mojo than the 3/4. The 3/4 is my lead tone; always come back to it.

MarcoR said:
BigBrewtus said:
I love the Egnater Plexi over the Randall Plexi. Much more alive and warmer feel.

I've been watching yours in the classifieds for weeks; good price very tempted.

BigBrewtus said:
I know of a recent member that sold a Gigmods after he got a EG3. :wink:

Many have said the EG3 has more mojo than the 3/4. The 3/4 is my lead tone; always come back to it.
I am really shocked it hasnt sold too. Its priced like a Randall stocker. It is very close to my Peacemaker. The PMaker being even warmer due to its use of SOZO caps I would say.
Ive heard the same of the EG3. I owned one and it wasnt for me but was still cool. Its funny that when you find ones you love its easier to give up ones that are amazing but just doesnt work for your style.

There are some cool stock randall modules,but the Egnaters come closer to the modded tonal qulaity in my experiene....AB'ing the against Salvation stuff ther eisnt much difference between the "quality" of the tone versus that of the stock Randalls and even some of the other modded modules I have had in the past...really,it all just comes down to taste and what your ear prefers...to say one is better than the other or that one modder is better than the other is just going to be a circular conversation....I definately have my preferences,as do others......you just have to search out clips,read reviews and get your hands on as many that interest you and try them out...takes a while to do,but it is fun and can be quite addictive....

I general, Egnater modules are more adult & refined; Randall tends to be more modern aggression. Eggie's in general are > than stock Randalls. The current ods available by our pros are a step above all of that. Very often dual eggy owners seek out mods. The shared eq seems to be a major drawback, so I'd prefer an rm100 with 3 modded modules with toggles to give you lots of tones as opposed to an Eggy mod50 with 2 dual modules.

When I played live, I had a S1S0 set up perfect for leads, with the flip of a switch I had a real cool dirty tone for a tune that had no lead...it always worked out well. YMMV

crankyrayhanky said:
Very often dual eggy owners seek out mods. The shared eq seems to be a major drawback, so I'd prefer an rm100 with 3

It seems strange to me they went this route. Seperate master & Level pots but shared EQ. Maybe on high gainers it makes sense, but I can't recall too often if ever I saw someone use the same EQ for a rhythm tone & a lead tone. Maybe I am crazy. I understand space is a premium, but why not use stacked tone pots.

Hamner1 said:
It seems strange to me they went this route. Seperate master & Level pots but shared EQ. Maybe on high gainers it makes sense, but I can't recall too often if ever I saw someone use the same EQ for a rhythm tone & a lead tone. Maybe I am crazy. I understand space is a premium, but why not use stacked tone pots.

There really isn't enough room for that, my Salvation modules just have a few switches added and even in those it's already becoming tricky to swap tubes, stacked pots might even make it impossible to do that

And I have the same stance towards Egnater dual modules as C.R. Hanky
Like many amps that have 2 channels with a shared EQ, you often end up compromising one channel to make a killer tone on the other, or end up with two "...this will have to do" sounds

I won't state that the Egnater dual modules would only have 1 good sound
but if you have one that (to your tastes) does, the added value of the 2nd channel is lost

There was a time a few years ago when there weren't many modders (hence high quality single mods) on the scene and the Egnater dual mods really shined at that time, especially compared to the stock randall mods.

I still love my dual channel modules but I gotta admit that the new breed of single channel mods get most of the playtime in my MOD100 these days since like most others on this board I LOVE TEH GAINZ!

But still I'll plug in the EG3/4 and ERECT, stomp on my Majik Box Rocket fuel and have a big smile on my face as well.

These days, its all good! My hat is off to JF/SG/Salvation for what they have done with the single channel modules.