Module recommendations please

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gainhead

Reaction score
I have not ordered my RM-100 head yet, but plan on buying the head and modules separately. The Blackface module is a no brainer for clean tones, but I'd like some recommendations for the higher gain stuff. The XTC seems like a winner, and perhaps the Rectified?

fyi, my cab is a straight front 70s Marshall 412 loaded w/ V30s. Guitars are typically humbucker equipped Strats, Les Paul's, and PRS. The gain tones I go for are in the vein of Soilwork, InFlames, George Lynch, Schenker, etc. I do use some of the LP's in dropped D and C pseudo baritone tunings for rhythm. In other words tight palm muted crunch and shred style lead tones. Which of the standard high gain modules would get me there?

Hello there and welcome! My .02 is to just pick up the 1086 module off of eBay. It is $249 (new) but it will save you the time and money of testing all of the other ones. IMHO it is superior to the other high gain modules out there. FWIW, there are new ones coming out soon with the release of the Lynch head. The Lynch modules might be good to look into, but since I haven't heard them yet I can't say for sure. Also, the new Ultra XL is due out soon, and I might still be picking that one up! :wink:

Hey Gainhead,
I second guitarguy's comments about the 1086. I just got the 1086 and have tried it out both alone and in band rehearsal (at high volumes) and this module is my favorite one for tight palm-muted crunch rhythms and pinch-harmonic laced leads. It is similar in some ways to the Ultra module, but with much more in midrange options and tonal definition. The Ultra, in my opinion, is too 'scoopy' of a tone to cut through in a band mix. I also have the XTC module, and it is definitely a winner, great for hard rock and alternative music, but for extreme metal tones ala In Flames (I love that band, Come Clarity kicks ***!), the 1086 has a much better 'chug' factor than the XTC. Also, I have found that the 1086 is capable of classic rock tones by using lower gain and adjusting the midrange voicing of the module. It really can go form Plexi-style tones, to Rectified (albeit, much tigher and defined) tones. Hope this feedback (no pun intended) helps.

Distortoman

Guitarguy and Distortoman..

Thanks to both of you. Big help from your comments.

The 1086 sounds like a must have. I finally got to check out an RM100 head last night. Modules were Blackface, Topboost, and XTC. All were winners. The Topboost was the real surprise. With my PRS it could go totally chimey clean to a nice medium gain crunch. I've owned my share of vintage Vox, blackface Fenders, Marshalls, etc. (still have plenty) but the RM-100 really knocked me out like very few modern amps. Ordering mine soon.

You can't go wrong... with the mid and gain switches on the 1086 you can get some really good AND distinct gain tones! It's good stuff... I miss my RM4.. :cry:

Latest posts