What modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibsonmansg

Reaction score
Hello friends,

i?m looking for four modules that can produce this four tones:

1 clean just clean

2 crunch AC/DC (just for fun)

3 liquid lead tone for solos

4 tight metal tone for detune riffin and palm mutting

can you help me on this one i can?t try modules and i?m gonna sell my rm100 to buy a rm4 or a mesa markIV i?m not sure yet, i have i recto and a jtm modules they sound ok but i?m not really having the tones i want, if there are four modules that can produce that tones i?m goin with the rm4, if not i?m goin mark, what do you think?

Thanks......

Hum

Hi Gibsonmansg,

For clean i would suggest the Blackface mod,

For crunch AC/DC i would propose the Plexi mod and if you want a bit more gain add some kind of pedal boost pushing the preamp, or go with the SL+ and lower the gain and/or guitar volume depending on the guitar.

For liquid lead tones and some awesome rhytm too the XTC mod is killer, my prefered module !!!

And last, for tight metal you should be fine with the 1086 which is so cool with it's gain and mid voicing switch giving you extra flexibility.

hope that helps,

Rock on !!!

thank you friends,

the XTC has the more liquids leads of all the mts modules?

how do you compare the RM4 with the mesa MarkIV, i?m betwen these two amps and i can?t try it before buying ?

thank you again..........

Hum

S62 is right on. I have seen people use 2 XTC modules for rhythm and liquid lead.

The XTC is very good,

I have tried the ULTRA module and didn't like it as much as the XTC ... But again it's a matter of taste, your findings may be different based on your preferences, the music you play, the guitar(s) you use etc ..

As far as the Mesa vs RM4 thing, it all depends,

What are you looking for, what do you need ?

To me a RM4 with 4 modules is best since you get as many ''independent'' gain/eq/volume settings as you can have modules. Plus the possibility to match the RM4 with the RT2/50 that you can run each channel with a different tube type that in turn can be hooked to different speaker type ....
Imagine a 6l6 channel driving a 2x12 open back cabinet and the other channel with E34L's driving a closed back 2x12 or 4x12, each channel having it's own set of presence/depth, plus midi control, Yess ...

Add on top of that the possibility to expand your collection of modules to get a broader range of tones and don't forget the possibility to modify some of them to suit your preferences, something you wouldn't do with a Mesa ...

my very own 2 cents ...

My own $.02 on this
I think it mostly breaks down to what you want/need the most. Versatility where the randall/egnater has the upper hand or a base specific sound which the mesa does better. Both are great at what they do =)

Sorry guys if my last post sounded a bit anti-Mesa. It wasn't my intent.

I do own a Mesa Stiletto Deuce, the first version and love it and i know that the Mark IV is a remarkable amp too.

Maybe it's just me but most, not all, Mesa's voicings sound a bit too modern to me, except for a few models. On a Mesa, i don't hear and feel that ''vintage tube amp'' sound and vibe i like so much when i fire-up my RM100, and if i want a more modern tube amp tone i can drop in a proper module and dial it in as well.

I have to say that i sure miss some features of my Stiletto that is the Bold/Spongy setting as well as the 100w/50w switch and the tube/sillicon rectifer and dedicated "presence'' knob for each channels.

But imho, if we want to help Gibsonmansg, to get the vesatility you get with a RM4/RT2-50 you have to reach into Mesa's Quad4 and a power amp or RoadKing / Roadster territory. not Mark IV ...

Mesa's got their own signature sound wich is/are great.
Randall is about freedom of tones !

What a wonderful guitar playing world :D

Thank you friends for all your comments..........

i bassically just need and amp that can do tight metal, liquids leads, and clean and i want it to be rackmount..........so i think i?m goin with the RM4..........

thanks.