Lynch Box Ohm setting

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinder5150

Reaction score
Have the Lynch Box 50w combo and was wondering what will happen to the amp or speaker if I set the ohm switch to 16ohm instead of the preferred 8ohm setting? I like the crispier high end sound when set at 16ohm, but don't leave it there for long. Amp is new, so speaker isn't even broken in yet. Bias el34l's at 33. Thanks.

If your speaker(s) are 8ohms, I believe setting the amp to 16 ohms is not good for the transformer? You can set a lower ohms setting, not higher. So you could run n 8 ohm load (speakers) with the amp set to 8 or 4 ohm, not 16.

I'd match the speaker output setting to the impedance of the speaker cabinet you're using. You're asking for trouble with a tube amp if you don't. Especially considering it is still under warranty.

I really don't understand the reason to do that anyway. Just give the speaker time to break in, and you'll be fine. It will take about a month, but in my experience it will sound better and better over the next couple years.

In the meantime, learn your amp. Learn how to dial in your sound. It took me 3 months on this amp to find it. Then I did and I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the info. It sounds great as it stands right now. I agree about dialing the amp in. It does take sometime to get the sound where I want it. Of course, this is a good problem to have. Thanks.