Lynch Box Tube Help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinder5150

Reaction score
Just not getting enough bottom end from the EL34L's that are in the Lynch Box Combo. Definitely not looking to get muddy. Are 6550's the way to go, or 6L6, or even something else? Thanks.

I like 6L6's for the bottom end, and there overall sound, but have you thought of maybe mixing two 6l6 with two of your E34L's and see how you like that?

I just can't imagine not getting enough bottom end out of the MTS gear. I have had 2 RM50 combos and 2 RM100 heads and I have never pushed the density knob past 10:00 with the bass controls on the modules at noon.

What does the rest of the signal chain look like?

Let me start by saying I purchased the rm50 palamino combo before the Lynch Box combo. It was defective, so had to send it back. Before I sent it back, I played it for about a month. WAY more bottom end. It had the 6L6's in it, and Celestion speaker.

OK. I have been using 6550's mixed with EL34's in my RM100. Might as well try a set of 6550's or 6L6's depending on your preference. Either way it's good to have an extra set of power tubes on hand.

I see how you tried the 6L6's first but I just got my Lynch Box RM50 combo and It seems to have plenty of bottom end, at least with the Mr Scary module. I'm still not sure about the Grail though. It seems to have less bottom and lacks that Marshall type of edge(Maybe that's the Rectifier thing). I'll have to try it at rehearsal this week to really know. Seems some modules have more bottom than others.

I'm more into the Marshall type of sound anyways, so ether it works with the EL34's or back it goes.

I said earlier I'm running a quad of Ruby 6550C (also known as SED =C= 6550). These tubes give you head room and a ton of it. IMO these are the nicest toned 6550s available today new production.

Personally I didn't care for the E34Ls that came stock, and they only lasted 90 days anyway.

A lot of what we heard here stateside with Marshall amps in the 1980s had 6550s. Marshall would routinely swap out the EL34s for 6550s shipped to the US because the amps had a better chance of making it through warranty with them.

Marshall tones have a "bark" to them. It's midrange. Don't think about bottom. You want bottom you want another amp. Marshall amps to me sound like crap solo, but put them in a band and they punch right through and sound right. SED =C= EL34 is the Marshall power tube these days. Bias them between 31 and 33 mV.

The Grail is tight and the most aggressive of the Lynch modules. It is toned after the Mesa Dual Rectifier he had for a while. Mr. Scary is kind of a hybrid tone between Lynch's Marshall Super Lead and his Soldano SLO together since he does run more than one amp.

I have a love/hate with Mesa tones. The only Lynch module I'm using right now is the Brahma but it's in the box for the SL+ or JTM. JTM is better for stuff along the Bad Company/ZZ Top tone.

If you really want the Marshall sound and only the Marshall sound why didn't you just get a DSL or JVM or 1987X RI or a JCM800 Lead Reissue?

Tried out a DSL 112 combo a few years ago and returned it, not enough bottom end. Tried out a JVM 212 a month ago, a bit to tight on the bass as well. Maybe Marshall's just need a 412.

My Carvin V3 212 combo has tons of bottom end with its EL34's but I'm looking for a great 112 combo. I just got my Lynch Box 112 combo in the mail 2 days ago and actually I am pleased. The RM50LB with the Mr. Scary module has the bottom end and the Marshall chime and spank that I'm looking for and will end up being my module for lead. Now if I can just find a similar one with a bit less gain for rhythm without having to buy to try a bunch of modules I'll be one happy camper.

I know what you mean about the 6550's. My 75 50w Marshall Metal plate head (w/master vol added)originally had them in it when I bough it in 82. About 10yrs ago I changed to EL34's to get a bit more of a Plexy tone. With the 6550 it had just a bit more bottom but was a lot louder and you had to turn it up more to get it in the sweet zone and it really didn't sound good until you got to that point.

Its hard to find a combo that doesn't sound to thin with EL34's in it, but they are out there. The Stiletto, My V3 and so far the Lynch Box. If I can just find the right module's.

If you got the LB combo and it has the Super V12 Lynch speaker in it, that speaker is toned after the old Fane Crescendos he used to use. The Lynch speakers roll off at 4.5 kHz instead of the 5.5 kHz of the Celestions. And they lack the upper midrange spike of the Vintage 30s.

For the other channel? SL+ There is some overlap with Mr. Scary, but Mr. Scary is a little smoother than the SL+. It's perfect around 11:00 on the gain.

Real sweet as a solo set at Noon with a SG neck pickup, and it handles P90s really well.

Basically I could live with the KH1 and SL+ if I only could have two modules because you can always boost. It's hard to take away.

My new Lynch Box combo actually came stock with a Vin30's. Vin30's or Greenbacks are what I usually use anyways.

One of the main reasons I went with the RM50 is that I have no need for a clean channel, I need a dirty and dirtier channels. When I do need to clean it up a bit I use my volume knob. The Mr Scary will do for the dirtier and so far I'm looking at for my dirty the Brahma, SL+, 1086, KH2, Plexy or JTM. I'm not sure the Plexy or JTM will have enough gain though.