Egnater Renegade buzzing ???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9blek

Reaction score
Is anyone having a problem with buzzing from the Renegade or Tourmaster amps? I remember the Tourmaster buzzing quite a bit when I was trying them out at guitar center. I do use the 4 cable method which I know causes some ground issues but ...at some shows I have no buzzing at all ...others I have some ... but for some reason ...during the last show (where i normally have NO buzzing ) ...i had alot. It was very irritating altho my noisegate took care of most of it. I was hoping to avoid getting one of those buzz killers especially after it seemed to work alot better as long as I was plugging the amp head and the RP1000 into the same outlet (I was told this reduced the ground loop issues ...and it did ...till this last show) Please help if you can.

Are you sure you're not one of those people who can't be around electronics?

You have amp problems. I nuke tubes.

The fact that it's intermittent leads me to believe it has something to do with power at the venue. For instance if there are fluorescent lights running nearby they are a big cause for buzzing. I was having major noise problems where I practice and was actually considering hocking my gear until I discovered it was the lighting that was causing my problem.

that's exactly what i was thinking up till the point where it started buzzing on a stage that I've played several times before with no buzzing ??? I know something could have been different that night. In fact on one particular stage I had serious buzzing with my amp in on location ...and no buzzing when I moved it about 5 feet to another location. Weird stuff. But moving it the other night did not help at all.

You know I've also had a pickup go bad. A humbucker. Got all hummy and feeds back.

But you're having an issue with two amps, so it's something in common with both. Something you use with both of them.

You mention it happens even without the RP1000 in the system it seems to be something before the input or after the output. Remove the RP1000 to take out any guess work. Plug straight in.

My guess it's one of four things:

1. try a different guitar. work? yes? possibly a solder connection in your guitar? reflow all solder joints, including and especially the jack. Not this? continue...

2. input cable from your guitar -- try a different one. And yes you could have more than one bad one. You can also just check resistance with a multimeter -- if it goes to infinity or changes well... there you go. Remember tip to outside and check both ways. And this isn't fool proof either. You'll need to check one cable at a time on the input and move around while doing this. If you have problems with all your cables it isn't this.

3. bad speaker cable -- try a different one. Fixed? done. Not fixed?

4. bad connection in the speaker cab -- unlikely but worth a look. Grab a multimeter and check speaker impedance. You'll measure a little less than the actual rating since you're measuring resistance. 4 ohms will read around 3. 8 ohms will read over 6.

5. bad power cord

6. bad outlet

I'd conduct the tests with a different outlet though.

You may find the problem. May. Intermittent stuff drives me bonkers.

All good ideas and i'm about to conduct some tests. Problem is that it didn't happen all the time ... as i mentioned regarding the drop in volume ... it happened at the beginning of the last show and then worked fine all night. Could be a cord or speaker cable ...maybe even a bad power cord but it's hard to check all this when it only happens randomly. I'm gonna go down w/ my main guitar and one cable at a time and see if i can find the issue. I even have an extra power cable and an extra speaker cable in case it could be one of those. What a mess !!

Latest posts