Best module for Vintage Vanhalen sound?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmf5150

Reaction score
which module would be better the plexi or the brown module.any opinions on how close they come to his sound?

Brown I would think as that it what it's trying to emulate.

bmf5150 said:
which module would be better the plexi or the brown module.any opinions on how close they come to his sound?

Here is a clip by session player Pete Thorn playing a Randall Plexi modified by David Friedman of Racksystems in N. Hollywood.

(*Edit - I have since learned this is a stock unmodded Plexi*)

http://music.mp3lizard.com/petethorn/

(Check out the "VH revised" clip)

I'll let you decide if it's what you are looking for.

I just had him do several of my modules (Plexi, SL+, Top Boost) and they sound slamming. Huge improvement. Especially the Plexi. Whoa.

To my ears, sounds a little gainer/buzzier than vintage VH tone, but sounds great nonetheless!

camitchell said:
bmf5150 said:

Here is a clip by session player Pete Thorn playing a Randall Plexi modified by David Friedman of Racksystems in N. Hollywood.

I just had him do several of my modules (Plexi, SL+, Top Boost) and they sound slamming. Huge improvement. Especially the Plexi. Whoa.

Did your plexi turn out like this clip? What differences do you hear in the other modules?

I'm VERY curious to hear about this. :)

camitchell said:
bmf5150 said:

If you know, how was this recorded? What power tubes? Mic?

I wouldn't buy a whole amp to get the EVH sound, but I certainly WOULD buy a module for it. :)

This is from Pete himself

"it was a stock Randall Plexi module! Through RT 2/50 poweramp, into a hotplate on load, and using NI "guitar rig" as a speaker simulator..."

ned said:
Not modded according to Pete.

Wow, that is cool that it is unmodded. There you go then. Very sorry for any confusion on my part. Shame on me!

I know I like my modded Plexi _much_ better. All the modules Dave did for me sound way better. The Top Boost is much more usable and not nearly as thin sounding anymore. The SL+ is amazing but I did not have a chance to hear that before he modded it, so I don't have a reference of it beforehand. For me, there is no comparison to the stock versions of the Plexi and Top Boost. Both have a fuller, richer sound than before. More gain but still having a very good definition of notes.

Anyway, Here is the thread and post from Pete I pulled the mp3 from, sorry for any misunderstanding about the mp3 being a modded plexi! I think if you read the thread you can hopefully understand my confusion.

Hot Plate...I need to look into that.

Craig

------------------------------------

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=150159&page=5

"incidentally, to kind of tie my Randall clip together with the amp that is the subject of this thread- Dave Friedman just modified 3 of my Randall modules and I now have them loaded in a new Randall RM100 head... it sounds pretty spectacular I must say. Best channel switcher I've ever owned for sure, beats the hell out of my old Bogner Ecstacy, it's a really stellar sounding rock amp. It's brown as hell... great rock tones. I was sitting right in front of the cab at Dave's place and we putzed around for 20 min. or so after he'd put everything back together, and after we stopped playing, I realized my ears were ringing... you know when it sounds so great you don't even notice it's ripping loud, because it doesn't hurt your ears? Anyway, just thought I'd share that. Dave does great mods to the Plexi, SL+, and Recto modules."

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=150159&page=5

I have a hot plate and guitar rig 2. Going to see if I can get anywhere close to this. I'm assuming the power amp was dimed?

I managed to get pretty close to this in the room with 6V6's and the master all the way up with the plexi module and a hotplate on -8dB. I have no idea how to get that tone recorded though. :) I'm talking to the guy that recorded this over at the gear page to see if he can help with Guitar Rig usage. . . I don't get anything that sounds even vaguely good out of it. Might be a hardware problem.

GaryMcT said:
I managed to get pretty close to this in the room with 6V6's and the master all the way up with the plexi module and a hotplate on -8dB. I have no idea how to get that tone recorded though. :) I'm talking to the guy that recorded this over at the gear page to see if he can help with Guitar Rig usage. . . I don't get anything that sounds even vaguely good out of it. Might be a hardware problem.

Out of curosity, if I am using the RT2/50 in stereo mode (both channels at the same time) would I need two hot plates?

(btw- I'd like to apologize to everyone about the mix up on the modded vs stock plexi clip.....but I suppose the upside is anything that generates discussion and experimentation is a good thing)

camitchell said:
Out of curosity, if I am using the RT2/50 in stereo mode (both channels at the same time) would I need two hot plates?

You need one for each speaker output. Two for stereo.

camitchell said:
(btw- I'd like to apologize to everyone about the mix up on the modded vs stock plexi clip.....but I suppose the upside is anything that generates discussion and experimentation is a good thing)

No worries. I would have thought the same thing from reading that thread.