Ok who's the Module Advice Person?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stm113

Reaction score
So I am going to make the switch from my trusty Peavey 5150 to either the RM100 or the RM4. That being said I need help with choosing which modules I want to get?

Before the 5150 being in my current live rig (which I have used off and on for the last 12 years) I was using a Line 6 Vetta, but no matter how hard you try you cnt compete with the glassy sound and bite or the push pull feel of a tube amp?

In my VETTA however I loved the Deizel amp sounds, they had this thick, raunchy but clear midrange that I love, I am actually a big fan of mids in a guitar tone, right now I am really digging on the guitar tone on the new TOOL album but just maybe a bit more bite to the highs.

I have only been able to find 1 store in my area that actually carries and had in stock any of the RM modules, I was able to check out the Blackface, which will be the clean for me, and I heard the Recto which after a lot of noodling I was able to get close to the sound I want, I would like a little more gain and a little more presence out of it, but nothing more compressed sounding, I do like my tone to be somewhat tight but still open.

I was thinking about the XTC and something else to round out my sounds but I have heard that the XTC is almost too compressed sounding? any suggestions?

Hi there,

According to what you describe i would check for the 1086 module. It's very vesatile with it's gain switch and mid voicing allow you to tweak your tone quite a bit more that any other MTS module.
It's on my wish list :lol:

You were also talking about the XTC module ...
Have you tried one ?

I have to say that i'm very satisfied user of that module, but it's me with my preferences. I find it very useful and can tweak a lot of tones out of it, even a clean Plexi like tone when you need it, but i had to pass quite a bit of time to learn it's colors.

Leave me alone on a desert island, as long as there is electricity :wink: and i'll be happy with my RM100 loaded with Plexi, Blackface and XTC.

You could also check the MTS SL+ or the MTS Ultra Lead, correct me anybody if i'm wrong but a forum member ''Lance-a-not'' post this clip of the Ultra Lead not too long ago ...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=503479

You can also use Egnater modules in the MTS series. I own one Eggie dual channel mod, the SL (thanks again Matt!) and am comparing it to the Plexi. While only one channel on the Eggie will work in the RM4, I find the tone of the SL to have greater punch and clarity. The Plexi has a nice character too, perhaps a bit brighter with more high-freq sizzle. This is not bad, just different.

I prefer the Egnater line so far.

Also, all Egnater mods have seperate low and high switching like the 1086. This makes them more versatile, IMO. For me, I will be converting to Eg mods as they become available. Heck I might even spring for an M4 with two mods if Bruce will sell it that way.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Matt

Latest posts