Modded Brahma's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StratmanR2S

Reaction score
My Brahma came with some weird aray of caps and resistors in place of the usual coupling cap. For you guys that have had them modded did they keep this set up, and if not what did they replace it with?

StratmanR2S said:
My Brahma came with some weird aray of caps and resistors in place of the usual coupling cap. For you guys that have had them modded did they keep this set up, and if not what did they replace it with?

According to DF that is the "corrected" Brahma. He said it's about 98% correct.

It's new, so I'm sure it is stock. My question is more or less are people keeping this setup when modding them. The Brahma IMO is in need of more bass.

I've changed the two .001uf caps to .0022uf's for C3a and C3b and this has helped out a lot. So I retained the circuit for the most part.

See it's not the modules fault for that. It's the amps used for tone tweaking. The Marshall Super Lead isn't that big on the bottom.

Try running it like this --- per DF

Gain: where you want it
Bass: dimed
Mids:1:30
Treble: noon
Volume: where you want it.

This is the way the old plexis were designed to be run.

Yep, I got the bass dimmed
mid 10:00
treb 9:00

But remember I'm playing a Strat through a 112.

It sounds a lot like the bright channel on my old metal face, and it seems like if I take out the C4 cap It would be like the normal channel.

Strats tend to be bright especially on the bridge pickup. They could remove that pickup and it would be fine by me since I never use it anyway ... on a strat. Also I run an EQ in front with a strat where I kill the bright spike.

StratmanR2S said:
Naw, I use the Bridge PU 90% of the time. Hotter PU's do warm it up quite a bit.
I sent my Brahma to Jaded Faith for the same complaints you had about the tone, and it came back MUCH fuller, clearer, and with a lot more gain!! Pull boost on the gain knob...My favorite module by far!!!

Rod said:
StratmanR2S said:
Naw, I use the Bridge PU 90% of the time. Hotter PU's do warm it up quite a bit.
I sent my Brahma to Jaded Faith for the same complaints you had about the tone, and it came back MUCH fuller, clearer, and with a lot more gain!! Pull boost on the gain knob...My favorite module by far!!!

+1. I could use my RM100 with 3 modded Brahma's and be more than happy.

eyeball987 said:
Rod said:
StratmanR2S said:

+1. I could use my RM100 with 3 modded Brahma's and be more than happy.
Me too!!!

Thanks for all the replies, but the reason for this post is that I am curious if in the modded versions they are keeping the two caps and two resistor setup in the C3 location like the original and change their values or did they scrap that idea all together and is there now just 1 cap in the C3 position, most likely a .0022uf.

It has two series .001uf caps with a resistor shunting some current around one of them and a series current limiting resistor wired in between them. Two caps in series will have a value like resistors in parallel so placing them in series cuts the value in half. I kepted the curcuit and used two .0022uf caps which will give it .001uf.

I don't think changing C3 alone is enough to give the Brahma enough thickness on its own so I'm gonna work more on this one when I get time.

When modding these I adjust the values in there based on what the client likes or desires from the module. There isn't a particular "set value" I go with. I like to hear what they are using it for, what gear they are using it with and tweak it from there.

got a stock brahma myself and it has the cap/resistor array you described

with the MTS "boost" on and a ART Tube EQ & Delay in the loop its really thick and "in your face"

infact a variety of tones can be had using the EQ

What is the true difference between the Brahama and the Plexi?

I have the Plexi module and with a boost in front of it and with different chorus and delay effects I can get a wide array of tones

Personally I'd try the old JCM800 mod (not the one used on modules) if the Brahma is lacking in low end for you. I can't rememebr if it's C16 or C17, but whichever one goes to the bass pot (it and the mid pot cap are both .022uF), swap it out for a .047uF cap. See if that helps some ;)

I got two Brahmas and one is in right now getting modded... it may take a while before the finished result is realized however the guy doing it for me is a well respected local boutique amp builder. We have agreed to build a signature module from the Brahma platform... I expect the prototype to be ready soon.

The basic direction is more bass, more gain, smoother top, and overal unique sounding.

alboz28 said:
What is the true difference between the Brahama and the Plexi?

I have the Plexi module and with a boost in front of it and with different chorus and delay effects I can get a wide array of tones
I have a Brahma and a Plexi......The plexi is much fuller sounding, but the Brahma is more articulate but stock it doesn't have enough bass...I had Jaded Faith mod it for me and Rob fixed the low end issue and then added waymore gain with a pull boost on the gain control..[optional]

khingpynn said:
I got two Brahmas and one is in right now getting modded... it may take a while before the finished result is realized however the guy doing it for me is a well respected local boutique amp builder. We have agreed to build a signature module from the Brahma platform... I expect the prototype to be ready soon.

The basic direction is more bass, more gain, smoother top, and overal unique sounding.

Was that James Peters doing the mod for you or someone else in the area? Cheers, Lucius