• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB RM80

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phloyd

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Randall RM80. I plan on converting it to head so the combo speakers are not that important to me. I have an RM100 I would be willing to trade. If anybody is interested, send me an email and we can work something out. Thanks.

If your looking to convert to a head there is no difference between an RM50 and RM80. The only difference is 6550 power tubes in the RM80 vs. 6l6's in the RM50

The main difference between the RM80 and RM50 is the wattage. I need that extra 30 watts for stage volume. I have owned both before and there is a significant volume difference.

I think what MetalMajik is saying (if I understand correctly) is that an RM50 with 6550 tubes will produce 80 watts.

Phloyd-

Where in Austin are you playing that you need 80 watts? My RM50 is loaded with 6V6's for about 20 watts. My band plays some of the larger venues in town and I've never had a problem. Of course anything that big your amp needs to be mic'd and the guitar coming form FOH.

ned said:
Phloyd-

Where in Austin are you playing that you need 80 watts? My RM50 is loaded with 6V6's for about 20 watts. My band plays some of the larger venues in town and I've never had a problem. Of course anything that big your amp needs to be mic'd and the guitar coming form FOH.

One of your bands wouldn't be, "Rotting Corpse," would it?

My band is called 8 systems and we play most of the hard rock clubs like Redrum or Red Eyed Fly. I used to have an RM50 combo that I used on stage. I went through 2 sets of power tubes in 2 shows. I guess I just like my stage volume to be fairly loud. Also, playing outdoor parties where only vocals are mic'd requires alot of volume. I never had a problem getting enough volume with the RM80. The RM50 just didn't get loud enough.

I wonder if the extra volume came more from the extra speaker of the RM80 rather than the extra wattage.

Also, I know this is drifting rather off-topic, but just curious why you aren't just hanging on to and using the RM100?

Ah, no matter. I just used to know someone...

Phloyd said:
I guess I just like my stage volume to be fairly loud. Also, playing outdoor parties where only vocals are mic'd requires alot of volume.

You'll get no argument from me; I like loud! When I was a gigging bass player, I ran a full Sunn 2000s stack, a full Sunn Coliseum stack and a 100-Watt Marshall SL stack!
We were plenty loud.:D

I used to use the RM80 to power a 4x12 cab. I didn't even use the speakers in the combo for live use. Although I did use an additional 1x12 cab with my RM50 combo and the volume was still lacking. I'm looking to get an RM80 to power an M4 preamp. Since I will keep my 4 modules in the preamp I won't need the 3 module spaces that the RM100 has. Also, I won't need the midi switching or the 100 watts that the RM100 has. The RM80 has plenty of power and is smaller and less weight.

I don't care how loud you're playing, if you're going through power tubes like that something is wrong, and that might be why you were getting so little volume from the amp. Is there even an audible difference between 50 and 80 watts? Get more efficient speakers.

I have to agree with the theory that 50 vs. 80 watts would be audibly nominal. Does the RM80 have different transformers than the RM50? I always thought the two amps were basically the same, but were named differently because of the tubes that came loaded from the factory. In other words, they both put out the same wattage.

And burning out a set of tubes per show doesn't happen from being loud, it comes from biasing them WAY too hot, or knocking into them, or simply having faulty tubes.

That being said, if you want the RM80 over the RM50, then who are we to disagree! :D