Module Fit Issue - A Must Read!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a new Plexi module on line for my Lynch box and when I received it I ran into an issue. It wouldn't fit! The green electrical board (not sure of the technical name) was too big and the module would only go 1/2 way in. So, I called Randall and was about to play the "voicemail game" and I hung up and called back and hit 0 and told the receptionist I wanted someone in tech support and not a voicemail and my request was granted. The tech told me there was something wrong with the module and to return it to the merchant. I called the merchant which is a huge Randall dealer and they told me that they have run into a few of these in the couple of days and that there are some RECENT board size inconsistencies since the big Randall company consolidation or whatever it is fiasco. They also said there is also an issue with some of the screens that protect the tubes being too tall. So guys - if you buy a module over the phone or on line - ask the merchant to please try the module through a MTS amp on the floor first to ensure it fits to avoid the hassle of getting a "mis-fit". I will say the merchant and Randall are being great about this. They are accepting full responsibility. Randall is having UPS pick mine up and offered me a replacement. I declined the replacement and just took a refund from the merchant. Randall is going to send the replacement to the merchant instead. I'm just going to go to the local guitar shop where I bought my Lynch Box and get my modules there where I can see and try them before I buy them.

I love it. I've owned a lot of guitars (Jem, JS1000, PRS Custom 24, Les Paul Standard to name a few) and that is my favorite. I threw a set of Schaller strap locks on it and other than that I don't see the need for any mods.

Ok, this is kinda weird. Since I had never heard of the Face Eraser before I did a search and eventually turned up some info on eBay about the guitar. Very interesting stuff, and a really nice looking guitar. However, in the auction I noticed that someone else is selling #6/25! For anyone that's curious, here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/WASHBURN-X-81-JO...ryZ33048QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Not really sure what the deal is with these guys on ebay, but thought i'd pass it along in case they're doing something shady like a bait and switch.

vindaloo said:
Ok, this is kinda weird. Since I had never heard of the Face Eraser before I did a search and eventually turned up some info on eBay about the guitar. Very interesting stuff, and a really nice looking guitar. However, in the auction I noticed that someone else is selling #6/25! For anyone that's curious, here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/WASHBURN-X-81-JO...ryZ33048QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Not really sure what the deal is with these guys on ebay, but thought i'd pass it along in case they're doing something shady like a bait and switch.

***WAIT WAIT WAIT*** Mine is the #6/25 of the Natural Finish. That one is #6/25 of the Trans Red finish. They did a first run for both finish options. I didn't know this until I saw that 1 few days ago and called Washburn.

vindaloo said:
ah, i see :) interesting way to number things on their part...kinda misleading. oh, well...it's still a **** sweet guitar.

I agree - mine is actually 1 of the 1st 50 when you think about it. Washburn/US Music also needs to do a much better job promoting the guitar. I only found out the model existed by looking under X series on the Washburn web site. They need to do magazine adds for it in Guitar world, Guitar Player etc. Do a big promotion at NAMM with Jon Donias. You look at the Ibanez Jem, one of the most sought out shredder guitars out there. Many sell used for more than what they cost new. Granted, it's backed by Steve Vai, but I can remember the HUGE about of publicity they put into its release back in the 80s (The famous "Angel Landing" pyramid ad with Vai, Vai signing the first 777). Ibanez has done a few stunts since then to get repeat and new buyers (Steve's drapes for the floral guitars, Steve's blood for the DNA guitars, Anniversary models etc). US Music could be doing a much better job promoting the Lynch Box as well. Most players don't know these products exist and thats why those 2 new Face Erasers on ebay keep getting relisted. Also, they have been out for over a year! However, they havent made a lot of them in general. If you order one, your looking at a 6 month wait. A Washburn rep said that they have trouble finding the quality of wood they want to use for the top and that has a lot to do with the delay. When you have one of these guitars in your hands - you know it's a custom shop guitar. There is the import version X-50PROFE that is still a great guitar if the US is more than you want to spend.

Lobstah,

Which amp are you installing the Plexi module in, the RM4? The only time that we have run into fit issue with the modules is if the module board is warped a bit it will not fit in a smoothly as it should. We have noticed this on a few and are now checking each board before we install the parts. If you run into this, let us know. To fix it you just need to loosen the 2 screws that mount the small tube board to the main board. If these 2 screws are really tight it will cause the module board to bow a bit so it doesn't connect smoothly.

If you are using the RM4, it is ok that the module doesn't completely rest against the front panel of the RM4. If you have a very slight gap just tighten the module in securely and you will not have a problem.

Let me know if you would like us to replace the Plexi module with newly tested one?

Thanks,
RD/MAN

Lobstah--good points on the marketing. In the same vein, the RM series in general doesn't get its fair share either.

Getting back to the subject of this thread, the 3rd bay in my RM100 has always been a tight fit regardless of what module I put in there. I don't know if this is something that is adjustable, but fortunately it isn't so tight that the modules don't fit. You just need to finesse it in there :)

RD/MAN said:
Lobstah,

Which amp are you installing the Plexi module in, the RM4? The only time that we have run into fit issue with the modules is if the module board is warped a bit it will not fit in a smoothly as it should. We have noticed this on a few and are now checking each board before we install the parts. If you run into this, let us know. To fix it you just need to loosen the 2 screws that mount the small tube board to the main board. If these 2 screws are really tight it will cause the module board to bow a bit so it doesn't connect smoothly.

If you are using the RM4, it is ok that the module doesn't completely rest against the front panel of the RM4. If you have a very slight gap just tighten the module in securely and you will not have a problem.

Let me know if you would like us to replace the Plexi module with newly tested one?

Thanks,
RD/MAN

My amp is a Lynch Box. I just loosened all 7 screws and then retightned them snugly but I didn't crank down on them. I managed to get it to go in. It was a TIGHT fit. I think the tracks already being dug into from where I tried before helped. The board is just cut too wide and you can see where it dug into the side of the white plastic tracks inside the amp. I was told before to remove the screen and I did and had the same issue. I also have tried other modules in that bay without a problem. It sounds great, so I'll call back the merchant and just pay him again. Thanks for reponding - Mark

I had the same issue with a new Clean module not fitting. I took back to my local Randall dealer and tried it in their amps and it would not fit. They got me a replacement in a couple weeks. This was to replace my original defective Clean module that I sent to Randall over 14 months earlier.

I've had an SL+ module for quite a while that I have to push down on the metal cage on the top to get it into any of the MTS amps. Pretty weird.

Yes, I have had fit problems also. 3 of the 4 I have will not with the TUBE SCREEN on, so I removed it. I really don't know why the screen is on there. Is it to cut down on noise or heat :?: