What FX are you using.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinder5150

Reaction score
Looking for FX unit that doesn't color the amps original sound. I have a Line 6 M9 unit, but it does color my sound, and it also boosts the volume level with some fx and cuts the volume level with othe fx. I haven't ruled out going with the pedal route, but just didn't know what wouldn't color my tone. I tried the digitech hardwire pedals. Liked the delay, but not the chorus. Also, not looking to break the bank. BTW-I am running thru a Lynch Box. Thanks.

kinder5150 said:
Looking for FX unit that doesn't color the amps original sound. I have a Line 6 M9 unit, but it does color my sound, and it also boosts the volume level with some fx and cuts the volume level with othe fx. I haven't ruled out going with the pedal route, but just didn't know what wouldn't color my tone. I tried the digitech hardwire pedals. Liked the delay, but not the chorus. Also, not looking to break the bank. BTW-I am running thru a Lynch Box. Thanks.
Let me ask these questions before someone in a bad mood rips you a new one ;) :

What music do you play?
What effects do you use now and which would you like to have?
What do you need in terms of flexibility? (pre- and post preamp, features etc)
Do you want everything on the floor or do you not mind a rack unit+switcher?
Also what effects are essential to you? (things you use all the time)

This would give us a good image of what you need.

If you're not afraid of rack units I can recommend the G-Major 2, but then you will have to choose: everything in front or after the preamp.
It also includes all the tools you might need: tuner, eq, noise gate. But no drive.. combining it with a good drive pedal would make a strong rig.
(I strongly do not recommend getting your drive out of a multi, if you need any extra drive get it analogue ;) )

I play hard rock to metal. I have played for about 30yrs. and have went down both paths with rack units and pedals. Basically, I use delay and sometimes chorus. The LynchBox has the reverb in it, so I am good there. After all these years of playing, really looking to simplify as much as possible.

kinder5150 said:
I play hard rock to metal. I have played for about 30yrs. and have went down both paths with rack units and pedals. Basically, I use delay and sometimes chorus. The LynchBox has the reverb in it, so I am good there. After all these years of playing, really looking to simplify as much as possible.
Okay then. Since you only name 2 effects (and will maybe only want a few extra) I'd definitly go the pedal path, it's just way easier than dreaming up a rack setup.

For good sound quality I'd go for some good quality but not super-expensive boutique pedals.
As for delay I can strongly recommend the Boss DD-20. It has a +4db setting so it will work in the loop of the lynchbox.
It allows for 5 patches (well, 4 patches+1 manual), has good delay types and is very easy to use.

An alternative would be the T.C. Electronic Nova Delay, but it's a bit less easy to use in terms of switching presets.
Then again it does allow for a lot more of them so that's the trade-off.
Something cheaper would be the Nova Repeater.

For chorus I'd maybe check out the TC Nova Modulator, again I don't agree with the preset switching but maybe it will work for you.
This also has the legendary TC chorus ;) and will work in the loop.

kinder5150 said:
Great!! Thanks for your help.
No problem man, let me know how it goes!
Ps. I meant Nova Modulator for the chorus!

A note on the DD-20:
You can change the footswitch functions, there's an explanation on the bottom of the pedal!
Some people don't buy it because they don't like the stock setting.
I have it set up like this:
Left: on/off
Right: manual/patch
Left+Right: switch patches

So I have my main most used delay in the manual mode, and I can choose a different one by switching back and forth to patch mode.

The instructions on how to set it to +4db are also on the bottom. And both are of course in the manual, but this is handy to know while shop-testing ;)

I find that using rack effects you can program other things like O.D.+ delay ,clean + reverb or chorus.It helps to avoid the footpedal dances that you'd have to do.Trying to hit your boost and delay in time for the solo is a pain.

walshinator666 said:
I find that using rack effects you can program other things like O.D.+ delay ,clean + reverb or chorus.It helps to avoid the footpedal dances that you'd have to do.Trying to hit your boost and delay in time for the solo is a pain.
Honestly I have no problem with that, most of the time I pre-stomp those ;) just before I switch channel.

But yeah if you intend to do that a lot than a rack setup might be handyer..
But if you have a delay that you turn on and off regardless of the channel it's just going to be a different kind of pain.

It's a matter of what music you play and how you use your effects in that.. I'm going rack because I want to sculpt complete sounds per channel, eventually per song (and channel of course).
But if you play more in a jam-style, choosing what fits the moment or siwtching effects without switching channels it get's a bit more dificult..

The pro of a rack unit with midi (like the G-major) is that you can switch it according to your channels richt out of the box (patch 1-3 on the G-major will correspond with channel 1-3 on the Lynchbox)
And you can couple channels to patches if you use more than 3 effects patches...

walshinator666 said:
Exactly what i'm saying you can customize the effects your using for any particular song just a matter of programing what you need
Yes BUT you do need to program each of your songs in there, and changing an effect is often not as easy as twiddling a knob (although the G-Major 2 comes close, Lexicon MX200 is perfect for it..)

It's a trade-off between the freedom of choosing to do whatever you want at that time or the ease of hitting a button and everything changes as you set it up before..

I plan on keeping my humongous pedalboard in the practice pad, jamming is way more fun and productive when you don't have to deal with gear (ie. programming it).

You are right though,programming can be a major pain in the rear espicially if you don't know what your doing.If your the type that are constantly changing what you like you can get into real trouble,but I prefer programming to the pedal dance.Like I say, music is as diverse as the people listening or playing to it.

I will agree that programming a multi-effects unit is a pain, but once you have it dialed in, I find it to be a better deal. No tap dancing. Press 1 button & boom everything you need changed is changed. Also with the continuous controller flexibility you can do some of that adjust on the fly if you have a patch setup to do that. Just got the Xpression, no comes the painful part. At least it is a good excuse to play guitar... I mean "practice". :p

I have the Line 6 M13, and I think it's a really good effects solution. It has the ease of pedals, so it's easy to tweak with a few knob twists, and can also be used as a channel switcher on your amp. It has true bypass and DSP bypass, and I haven't noticed it coloring my sound. I run mine through the series loop and it works great

I use way to much cool gear....

and one method that hasnt been discussed yet is using a loop selector. If you put your fave pedals together for your lead tone, and then your fave pedals for your rhythym tone...then all you do is hit a switch (Like the LS2 by Boss or similar silent pedal) and choose between the two.
For guys who like a simple "grab and go" rig..and like to have everything VERY visible (no scrolling thru menus) its a pretty good way to go.
There are Many many ways to do things..and the best method imho..comes down to whats suits the individual player most.
GtrGeorge

Ok. Went with a RP1000 from MF just because I always wondered what it would sound like. After playing with it for about an hour, back in the box, and back to MF. Great solid unit, but WAY too much time trying to get where I want to go. I don't mind tap dancing with the stomp boxes because I don't play in a band anymore. Ultimately, I want the best sound and easy use. So if anyone has a favorite delay and a favorite chorus pedal they use, shoot it at me. I understand the whole line level difference thing and that I will have to buy a device to boost the loop. I am good with that. Thanks.

you don't have to buy a line level device - there are pedals on the market that will work with a line level loop. The DD-20 was recommended earlier. I'm using the Boss CE-20 for chorus. I believe the Digitech Hardwire series will all work in the loop and I've been wanting to pick up a DL-8 for quite a while.

I have tried both Boss Chorus pedals in the loop, and they didn't work. Let me ask you this. If I was to get the DD-20, since it is line level, would that make all pedals after that in the loop line level?

Thanks