Lynchbox cab does not match head.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
I had heard for awhile that there was a 2 x 12 Lynchbox cab available, even though there hasn't been anything on the Randall website about it. When I heard that the Lynchbox line might be getting a makeover, I decided to get a 2 x 12 while it was still being done in green tolex, so that it would match my LB head. I asked to make sure that it was still available in green alligator and I was told yes, even though it is being discontinued in that color.

The Lynchbox head, as far as I know, has always had GOLD PIPING AND LOGO, not silver. I have seen that the cobo amps have been done with silver piping and logo, but, even on the Randall website, it still shows that LB head in gold trim, as well as the 4 x 12 cab. Why then, would the 2 x 12 have been done in silver piping and logo? And the grill cloth is different than the 4 x 12 cab, as it is currently stilll illustrated on the website.

Yes, the 2 x 12 cab was done in SILVER piping and SILVER logo! How effing RETARDED!!! It DOES NOT MATCH THE HEAD!!!

So now I have a cab this was supposed to match my LB head, but it doesn't match--and I paid big $$$ for that **** thing!! So, what do I have to do to get a matching 2 x12 cab? I guess I'm going to have to buy some gold piping and swap out the totally non-matching silver piping or else I'll have to hire someone to do it--more $$$ down the drain. The grill cloth is also obvioulsy meant to go more with the silver trim so I guess I'll have to swap that out also. And I don't know what I'm going to do about the totally non-matching silver logo.

Were the more recent Lynchbox 100 heads being done in silver piping and logo? If so, it doesn't show them that way in the Randall website. The 4 x 12 and the head are both as they had been, gold trim. And gold trim looks way better then the sterile silver trim as on the combo amps--not sure why they are all not in gold trim.

STUPID!!!

The 2x12 possibly matches the silver piping of the RM50HLB ... i.e. the 50W head.

I had the opposite problem, the 4x12 in gold did not match the head...LOL

what color tolex is the 50LB head? Green? You would think that as a "line," that it would all be done the same way. But of course, that's common sense and Randall doesn't always do things that way.

Caine said:
what color tolex is the 50LB head? Green? You would think that as a "line," that it would all be done the same way. But of course, that's common sense and Randall doesn't always do things that way.

Tolex was green croc but the grille cloth was silvery (from memory)

This story reminds me of the day I went and tried to match a Marshall Vintage Modern (the purple) with an Avatar 212. I got the piping right, but you NEVER EVER EVER go by colors over the Internet. NEVER. Everyone's monitor shows something a different color based upon brightness settings and video card. Okay.

I got the link from the Marshall guy for the Marshall tolex. Well it looked EXACTLY the same color as the purple bronco. However purple bronco is bright purple. At the time they didn't make a Black Vintage Modern. And the black tolex looked dorky with the almost black purple. So I went with the purple. And it came with gold piping to match the Vintage Modern. Well I traded in the VM within the 30 days anyway and now had a bright purple cab, which looked fine with a black amp head.

So I ordered this randall Lynch Box as LLB which was Lynch Box Black. I expected the entire thing to be Black, but only the front panel is black. The rest is the green alligator tolex. So the rig looks like when you have the hue set wrong on your television. But I got used to it and don't care about it anymore... after all the whole room looks like that now because I'd painted the walls a "Westport Green" which is a light gray green. And I got a purple Persian rug given to me that doesn't match the hue of the purple. So when everything is reset up in here it'll look a little psychedelic.

If it wasn't for the insane introductory price on the Lynch Box at MF I would have gotten an empty KH head and gotten the Lynch modules, but doing it that way made the entry price prohibitive. So I deal.

Personally I'd be glad to be dealing with only mismatched piping. I'm not saying it isn't frustrating to deal with this stuff, I'm just sayin it could be worse.

The thing is, as I was saying, it isn't just the piping that is messed up. It's also the logo and grill cloth. I was expecting the same color scheme as the 4 x 12 cab which has gold piping and a different grill cloth, with more gold or tans in it. This thing I have has a silvery grill cloth.

The green color scheme is being discontinued but before it was, this cab, the RS212LB, was advertised all over the internet like this:

"Randall Lynch Box RS212LB 120W 2x12 Tube Guitar Speaker Cabinet Features:

(2) 12" Eminence Super V Speakers
300 Watts RMS
8 Ohm Mono
3/4" Void Free Birch Plywood Cabinet
Straight Front
Rear Slot Port
1/4" Locking Input Jack
Dark Forest Alligator Vinyl
Gold Piping
Heavy duty casters"

Notice where it says GOLD PIPING!! And the list price was $799 and it was being advertised for sale at $649 on musicians friend and other websites. Also, note that the description says it comes with "Eminence Super V Speakers" Those are the Lynch signature speakers that have been coming in the 4 x 12 cab. This thing came with GREEN BACKS!! Green backs??? I mean, WTF!???

The dealership that I purchased this cab from took out the speakers and sold it at a reduced price, but it still ended up costing me $524 out the door with tax and with no speakers in it. I went through with the deal, but I'm still miffed and am going to call and complain to Randall. I mean, what the hell is the deal with this frankenstein cab that they sent out anyway?

This is what was on Musicians Friend:

"The Lynch Box RS212LB 120W 2x12 Tube Guitar Speaker Cabinet will faithfully deliver your sound with all the punch and gusto you need. Designed and developed with influential rock icon, George Lynch, the speaker cab is loaded with two 12" Eminence Lynch Super V Speakers that are designed for high gain applications. Covered in dark forest alligator vinyl and trimmed with gold piping this box has righteous good looks."

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-Lynch-Box-RS212LB-120W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=582331&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=1470972

So again, where were the Super V speakers and the gold piping for "righteous good looks?"

You're going to get a lot of finger pointing.

I never heard of a tube guitar speaker cabinet. Only a guitar speaker cabinet. Companies can change components. MF has screwed up on ads before.... like the time that I missed being able to get the Eleven Rack for $49. You read it right. On one of their ads a few weeks back they had it for $49 (regular price $899). If I'd seen that I would have bought one on the spot because even though it was a mistake they were honoring the price. There is also conflicting information in the ad. 120W 212 cab listed on the top implies two 60W speakers. Then it says rated at 300W RMS in the specs. Lynch Super V 12 are rated at 150W ea. So they were giving wiggle room for Vintage 30s. They you got greenbacks which would be absolutely fine power wise for a 50W amp.

The cab should have had Super Vs in it. Removing the Greenbacks should have knocked $250 off the price which would have been $399. The Greenbacks are $125 ea. The Eminence Lynch Speakers are $120 each. this is the MAP price on the speakers. Your store should have offered to get the Lynch speakers for you and install them.

Still if you have a problem with the piping not matching maybe you should just return the cabinet and get something else.

Julia said:
I never heard of a tube guitar speaker cabinet

Me either, but then again, they call that cab and a whole line of cabs, "MTS"series cabs. The "T" in "MTS" stands for "tube.

Being that the green alligator line is being discontinued, this may be my only option to get a 2 x 12 in the same forest green as the head. If I can't do an exchange with Randall (probably not since it has been discontinued) I'll just have to have the cab re-done with gold piping and try and find grill cloth like what was being used on the 4 x 12. I have a gold Randall logo I can put on it--the smaller gold randall logo that was initially put on the lynch box. However, the cab simply should have had gold piping, logo and appropriate grill cloth which would have been the same scheme as the 4 x 12. It was adverstised that way which, and at least in my opinion, it is just common sense that it would have actually been, the color scheme it was advertised to be and the way the 4 x 12 has been. If not, the Randall rep should have said something to the guy that ordered for me when I had him ask about the color scheme. As far as speakers go, the MTS cab line had historiclally had a few different options available for speakers, however, you would think that any Lynch cab would have the SuperV in it as standard--because that's what Randall had been doing. I think that since this is being discontinued, that they just must have sent me whatever leftovers they had made from whatever leftover materials they had.

The Lynch Box Black has a black front with silver piping on the green. I'm thinking someone wasn't paying attention. People play with unmatched cabs/heads all the time. Say you buy a Marshall head and cab, then sell the head and get a Mesa head, but keep the cab. Or Marshalls with Orange amp cabs. It just depends upon how much money you have to spend on cosmetics and how important cosmetics are. What happened to you sounds like they just are using the materials they have on hand.

The store I bought my Gibson J45 had the tag on it "spruce top with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck. Gibson does make a J45 like that for the same price. When I registered it with Gibson I found out mine is mahogany back and sides. They labeled it wrong at the store. Still I bought it on sound, not description.

I bought my Steinway grand and it was represented as a 1940 model, which was in the "golden age" of Steinways. Golden age means worth more, but the price was right anyway. When I got it home I found I searched the serial number because my tech said something wasn't right for a 1940 model. It turned out it was a 1916 model which is before they changed stuff. Well it turns out that the change was made in 1917 and they moved the pin block more toward the back of the piano by about 2 inches which lengthened the hammer shaft and shortened the strings. I thought my piano sounded a little "big" for its size. The strings are 4" longer than on the newer ones. Again I bought on sound not description.

Also I use a 212 with Celestion Greenbacks with my LB (100W amp with a 50W cab) so I've got to be careful with volume -- basically don't play the amp stupid loud. I really like the Greenbacks over the Vintage 30s, but then see my signature. They've got early cone breakup which give things more of a vintage feel. I don't play metal.

Hey all, I know this thread is a little old but I just picked up a used Lynch Box (RM100LB) and it has silver piping. Everything I read online says this is supposed to have gold piping and the 50w has silver. This is definately a 100w model, and I don't think the gold piping has faded to silver, so I'm a little perplexed. Anyone heard anything?

If you have 3 module slots and 4 poweramp tubes then it is definately the LB100.

This is the 1st I have heard of the LB100 coming with silver. If it was one of the later models (or during a time when materials were in short supply) they may have substituted the silver for the gold instead of holding up production.

Hamner1 said:
If you have 3 module slots and 4 poweramp tubes then it is definately the LB100.

This is the 1st I have heard of the LB100 coming with silver. If it was one of the later models (or during a time when materials were in short supply) they may have substituted the silver for the gold instead of holding up production.

Interesting, you're explanation makes total sense as I've heard that Randall was having problems securing these materials. I bought the amp used but was able to trace it back two owners to a local producer who told me that he got the amp from Lynch himself (I believe him because he is documented as having worked with Lynch quite a bit, and he was not the one selling me the amp, I had already purchased it from the person he had sold it to). If this is true, it would be odd that he got one from the limited materials line. I can't find a Randall serial number lookup online but the previous owner told me that it can't be older than an '07.

Hamner1 said:

There has been a silver trimmed RM100LB on the Randall's main page for quite a while. I just checked a minute ago, still there--on the main page, the flash slide show. It's been like that for... IDK, maybe a year or so? At least to me as it displays on my screen it looks like a silver skull and trim. It also looks like a black tolex on the front and and probably green sides. It's hard to tell for sure if it's green but the green is dark and sort of looks black depending on the lighting.

The 2 x 12 cab I bought last year was like that--green on the sides with a triangle shape at the top of the front of the cab that was covered in black tolex with a smaller skull logo, silver piping all around. I have since swapped out the sliver for gold piping and had a guy repaint the skull gold and swapped out the black on the front with the green gator. I also replaced the silver on black grill cloth with gold on black. It matches my RM100 perfectly.

Hamner1 said:
Before and after pics?

Here is a new thread I started showing the coversion from silver to gold:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=89938#89938

This is probably old by now, but I thought the 2x12 with silver piping was intended to be paired with the 50 watt Lynch Box head which has always had silver?

Yes, this is old. That was all discussed on the first page of this thread. What I said is that the 2 x 12 cab was advertised all over the internet by dealers (such as Musicians Friend) as having GOLD trim (never saw it advertised by a dealer in the US as having any other color trim). Even the Randall rep that my local music store delt with thought it was supposed to be gold and when someone at my local store called Randall and spoke to someone in shipping, he was told that it was a mistake, it should have come with gold trim and to send it back for a swap. There were TWO catalogue numbers and the one I had ordered was supposed to be RS212LB and the one with silver trim was supposed to be RS212LB(C) (?C? for celestion green backs instead of the superv which lynch has since stopped endorsing anyway). Someone in the warehouse then pointed out that they never got around to making them in gold trim?probably because they were having difficulties getting the green tolex and a make-over of the Lynch line was being planned. Randall apparently made some of the cabs in sliver trim and discounted it before they had a chance to make the gold trim versions. Anyway, this is all rehashed information. I have since converted my cab to gold trim as if it came from the factory.

Some of those old ads are still viewable. They all say GOLD trim:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/randall-lynch-box-rs212lb-120w-2x12-tube-guitar-speaker-cabinet

http://www.fretbase.com/gear/7824-randall-lynch-box-rs212lb-120w-2x12-tube-speaker-cabinet-green-and-black

I see, I guess I came into the LB line during a transition time, my LB50 combo has silver piping and an Eminence Super V, I was wanting to try the new Lynchback in my Triple XXX though!