Favorite Overdrive?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a few, but I seem to always go back to my favorite, which is an AnalogMan modded TS9 to 808 specs that I bought back in the late 90s.

Maxon OD808 or Barber Silver LTD. I've been using the LTD with my Vox module for rhythm crunch and the 808 for a solo boost.

All great suggestions so far. If you can find a deal on a Keeley Modded TS-9 you'd be set as well as with any of the above. Key word is look for the best deal, they can all get you as close as one could expect.

I guess I'll be the odd ball here and suggest for killer lead OD tone, check out the Lovepedal Eternity. I have the white one (slightly higher gain, but still an OD lol) and it sounds phenominal! Almost like a Marshall lead tone in a box! Very cool stuff!

I would also recommend any Keeley Mod. In addition, I would STRONGLY recommend the Power Screamer from Homebrew Electronics.

Wow, great comments. I should have mentioned, I am currently using an old Reverend Drive Train. A good unit but it just doesn't pump up enough volume and the overdrive seems muffled sounding. I think the thing I want to avoid is the lacking bass response associated with standard un-modified tube screamers. I need full sounding, full bass, good volume boost. Anyone care to comment on the bass response on the pedals brought up so far? I'm looking pretty seriously at a Keeley (Boss) Bluses Driver. Thanks everyone so far great ideas and comments.

Man just went and listen to teh clips of the Love Pedal Eternity ... awesome! Where can I buy one?

3 Mile Stone said:
Wow, great comments. I should have mentioned, I am currently using an old Reverend Drive Train. A good unit but it just doesn't pump up enough volume and the overdrive seems muffled sounding. I think the thing I want to avoid is the lacking bass response associated with standard un-modified tube screamers. I need full sounding, full bass, good volume boost. Anyone care to comment on the bass response on the pedals brought up so far? I'm looking pretty seriously at a Keeley (Boss) Bluses Driver. Thanks everyone so far great ideas and comments.

Man just went and listen to teh clips of the Love Pedal Eternity ... awesome! Where can I buy one?

I have one of the first phat mod Keeley Blues Drivers made....it is a nice pedal, but I still like my AnalogMan TS9 better. I like the mid-hump that the TS9 has. Yeah, the TS9 dips the bass a bit, but you don't wanna sonically fight with a bass player, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Overall, the Blues Driver is very different from a Tube Screamer....the BD is more transparent whereas the TS9 has the mid-hump. The question is....do you want transparency or a mid-boost?

If you want the basic Tube Screamer sound, but a little more bass, a Keely modded TS might be your best bet.

I think I'm leaning towards transparent. Looking at the Xotic AC Booster too. I like my OCD but it goes well with my SL module. The Bassman module is just looking for something special.

I forgot to mention that a BD will also clean up a lot more than a TS9. With humbuckers, I can't really do a true clean boost with the TS9 as there is always some grit. It can get fairly clean with single coils, though.

BTW, I went back to the top of this thread and reread that you mentioned SRV. SRV used 808s and TS9s, so if you want SRV tone with a little more bass than a stock TubeScreamer, I'd say Keeley TS9. I can't vouch for them because I don't own a Keeley version, but that seems like a good match for your goals.

You can usually snag a used Eternity on TGP (www.thegearpage.net/board) if you are a member there. Here's an example:

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=194034&highlight=eternity

They are pretty cool pedals. When I sold off my pedal board to pay for another (secret hehe...) gear purchase that is the only pedal I kept. It's just too cool and the white ones are harder to get ahold of. The interesting this about the Eternity is that Sean hand-selects components to work best with each board, so no two Eternity pedals are exactly the same! Instant one-off! :D Another bonus is that they usually hold their value very well, i.e. most used Eternity pedals sell for as much (maybe more at times) as they do new! If you want to try it, buy it at a good price and if it's not for you, toss it back out there for someone else to try out! :D

Well, if you're talking bass response, I would look two ways:

Cheaper: Rocktron Austin Gold - got your SRV vibe and dial-in bass resposne. Sound clips on Rocktron's site.

More Expensive: Still will stand by the Power Screamer. Check the sound clips on the Homebrew Electronics website. They are accurate representations. Also, maybe a Keeley-modded Sparkle Drive. Dial in bass and plenty of flexibility.

Although the boutique pedals address some of the cut in bass frequencies of modded TS-9 circuits. If you don't want the cut stay away from TS-9 based pedals - that is part of their sound - Phat mod or not, it's still cut compared to other pedals.

You have to remember that in a live setting these pedals sound great because they cut through in the mix, and don't occupy the lower frequencies of the bass guitar, which can make for some muddy sounds live, or like poo recorded. Playing/practicing at home they'll sound thinner, get an eq pedal and boost those frequencies after your OD as another option if you have $ and space on your board/floor.

Lovepedal Eternity, and some other's recommended here not based on a TS-9 circuit would probably be better for filling that role for you.

So far from listening to clips the Barber Double Drive is tops on my list. I'm also re-evaluating my Fulltone OCD. If you switch it to HP (I used it on LP for a fatter Marshall like distortion) it gives it the "cut" that you are talking about maverick. I think I'll buy the Barber and put them both on the floor. We are recording a CD so I will not gig live until February (3 Mile Stone @ The Tavern in Gruene ... Ned) so it will be a while before I can give it the true live test.

I just thought of a one more. Not based on TS9 circuit, the MI Audio Tube Zone. Awesome sounding. A little pricey, but the sound might be worth it.

I just thought of another one too. The Vox cool tube series is about the only 9V tube powered pedals I know of. I have the Bulldog and love it. The big advantage is that if you have a one spot or some other multi-pedal powering device, the cool tubes have the same power setup as your standard Boss pedals. I haven't run across any other tube-powered pedals that that's the case.