I'm looking for a quality head...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAbomb12

Reaction score
My MTS rack setup is very, very nice sounding and I get a lot of different tones out of it. However, Its really complicated to move, setup, and operate. I still want to keep the rack setup for versatility sake; but I need a straight up, no-nonsense Metal Guitar Amp that simply has a distortion channel with unbelievable tone, clarity (even when distorted), and punch. Multi-channel Heads are fine, but I'm only interested in a REALLY REALLY good distortion channel.

At the moment I'm mostly interested in the Randall V2 and the Peavey 6505.

btw, I'm looking to spend anywhere from $1000 to $2000, but would prefer to save a few bucks if I can find a quality head on the lower end of that price spectrum.

do you guys have any recommendations?

im somewhat in the same boat as you; i have amps that handle the lower gain stuff and a beatiful clean sound, buti need something with really amazing distortion and im on a budget. Im planning on buying either an ENGL firebal or ENGL blackmore model from www.rocksolidamps.com; amazing distortion with a lot more character then a 6505 or solid state randall

hmm...intresting...

has anyone here tried both the Randall V2 and the Engl Fireball? How do the distortions compare to each other ( I don't care about the clean channel)?

From me just comparing the two via user reviews, these are the advantages I see the amps have over the other.

V2 advantages:
Don't have to mess around with power tubes
Graphic EQ
MIDI channel switching ( good more the rack mount effects unit I'm getting).

Fireball:
Brutal Tube tone

The V2 edges out the fireball in features, but until I hear or play either of them, I don't know which one has "better" distortion.

I heard great things about the blackmore. Supposedly, it's the 2nd best engl compared to the se....which is like a grand more. Maybe someone that has played one can chime in on this...

im going to demo the whole engl line next saturday at Rock Solid Amps. I screwed up the link but its www.rocksolidamps.com and he has some great sound clips up of all the different engls. I've played the Fireball SE and Screamer 50 before and they were all great but i need to do it again. The Blackmore is probably where im going to wind up because i dont think death metal is gonna be where im at forever, so i want something that CAN handle those tones but isnt dedicated to them such as the fireball.

I'm having a terrible time picking out a new head. pending my trip next saturday the front runners are

Engl blackmore
Engl Fireball
Egnater mod50? I need some feedback on this stuff dudes, I want brutal but i want to be able to do everything else also

Does anyone think the MHG or E'rect can handle real metal?

About ENGL heads..

I had, Fireball(2), Blackmore..
Played also PowerBall amd Savage...

Of them 4 I'll go for a Blackmore or the Savage... Savage any day really.
That is a brutal beast that can handle anything you need.

Sounds like the fireball is what I need to get. I already have my RM4 rack to handle a variety of non-extreamely brutal tones. Sounds like the Fireball is the perfect fit for me.

OK, no first hand experience here...but I've been told that many of the Engls are very impressive sounding when played by themselves, but don't really cut through a band mix all that well. I was also told the exception to this is the Blackmore, so I assume it has more prominent mids that the Powerball/Fireball/etc.

Again, this is all heresay...but something to consider.

All I need is a one-trick-pony that does it's one trick (heavy distortion) very very well.

In terms of tone, I'm looking mostly for something that has a TOOL-ish type of character to it.

Yeah thats what most people have been saying about the engl stuff, sans blackmore. So im thinking real hard about just getting the blackmore or taking a break from my bands and saving up for an egnater mod50 with mhg and vx module.

I need mids!

...the ENGL FIREBALL is EXACTLY what you've been describing...try it,buy it and be done with it.period!!! it excels at tones ranging from U.D.O. to Cannibal Corpse...and it's got a nice clean channel as well.it sells,brand-new,near the lower-end of your price range spectrum.

Actually, I think I'm going to be grabbing the Modern Hi-gain Egnater module. By the way people describe it, its closer to what I'm looking for in terms of tone (Diezel -ish) and 3 to 4 times less than a fireball and Powerball.

...even if that fits the "brutal distortion" tone requirements,how will that solve your dilemma with the mts rack setup being "really complicated to move,setup,and operate???

point taken, however, I'm starting to reconsider that statement, as I can save money just going with a high quality egnater module.

Why dont you just get the eggie module and set up a smaller rack? What more do you really truly need aside from your power amp, RM4 and maybe a power conditioner and rack tuner. That'd be the same difference as traveling with head, and you can always go back to that cumbersome pointless rack everyone seems to be so into...i heard John C's makes him coffee!:wink:

Ive tryed out loads of amps recently im also looking for a amp that has brutal tone with loads of gain. Ive tryed randalls V2 and it has hudge tone and it really does have a lot of guts. I also tryed the engl powerball and this thing is the best amp ive ever played through. Theres unbelivable amounts of gain in there. The tone is punishing and it sounds so good there is no need for any tube scremmers or graphic eqs to tighten it up. It sounds amazing on its own. For me i cant afford to buy a powerball so the v2 is defenatly my choice. Its a awsome amp you just have to find the right one.

SUP? :)

I'f your still giving the head some thought i would look into an ENGL Savage 120 or a framus cobra(used of course) I love my RM-4 and Mesa 2:100 rig,,,but my Savage has just got a sound to it that makes me chug chords and just smile. I've even run the rm-4 through one of the loops for the power section and use an A-B switch ,,,,and its like having an 8 channel head :shock: 8)

rig018.jpg

MOSH ON
DAVE

the Engl Fireball is basically the Powerball without all the "whistles & bells".it's essentially a stripped down version of the Powerball with the same preamp circuit/gain structure.i've a/b'd the Powerball & Fireball side by side many times at ENGL-AMPS-USA,here in the Chicago 'burbs.the difference is somewhat minimal.the Fireball has just as much gain and is about equally as heavy as the Powerball,just without the separate e.q.'s for the gain/clean channels,has no noisegate and no depth switch(for added low-end).the Powerball has a slightly,thicker tone than the Fireball,due to the characteristics of the 100-watt transformer,as opposed to the 60-watt transformer of the Fireball...so,for the $1200 price tag,the Fireball is a great choice(and it's an all-tube head)......does anything from hard rock to speed/thrash/doom/death metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alright you guys.

I just came back from a trip from my local Guitar Center, and this is what I learned trying out various heads there.

* I hate playing through marshalls
* Spider was right about the 6505, not alot of character there
* The Peavey JSX suprised me, as it sounded very nice and at 1300, has plenty of features at a nice price. I loved the Ultra Channel, and definitely wouldn't' mind getting this amp.
* The Framus Cobra is very very very Nice. But too much money for me right now
* GC doesn't carry Engls

I liked the JSX but, I haven't tried a Fireball yet. But the JSX edges out the Fireball by being twice the wattage ( I know that isn't a MAJOR volume difference though). I have a feeling though, that the Fireball has a better distortion.