I Just Got a G3, Help Me Get Some Good Settings

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidHowren

Reaction score
I've been messing around with it, and I can't tell if I like Gain 1 or 2 better for rhythm (I definitely like Gain 2 better for leads). Gain 2 seems to just add noise and it kind of muds up the sound a bit, but it has more sustain than Gain 1. Give me some settings that sound good, like one that sounds like Dimebag maybe, another that sounds more like Metallica. Whatever you got, give it to me so I can mess around and see what I like best. Thanks.

I use Gain 2 on mine with the knobs set as follows:
Level - 9
Contour - 0
Bass - 4
Mid - 3 (Switch out)
treble - 8
Gain - 9.5

I also run a BBE 442A Sonic maximiser in my effects loop, set to:
Lo Contour -1
Definition 3 notches from max
Auto switch in.

Running through a Randall 412XL, loaded with 4 Seventy80 G12P-80 speakers. This cab helped get rid of that nasty 'boomy' bassy distortion you get on some cabs when using the G3 heads.

Best setup I've ever used. I was previously using a rack system with a Mesa boogie pre-amp, and I love the Randall so much I've started selling off my rack gear. It's a fantastic amp, but the addition of BBE just makes it sing.

Also, should add, using the exact same settings, but on Gain 1, I find it gives a smashing Randy Rhoads tone, but a bit more ballsy. Very similar to the sound he had on 'I don't know'