Gigmods Twin Amp Preamp Tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl

Reaction score
I got a Gigmods Twin with the switch for Deluxe on it. I was wondering if I could get some input on what the best preamp tubes are for this module. I am looking for something that really gives me the most musical sound. Good harmonic detail. Nice sparkling highs. Good solid bass with no mud. You know all of those fruity embellishments... :) It has Sovtek 7025's in it now. Such a fine module deserves a fine tube, right? Maybe some of you guys know a tube that just makes this thing sing. What do you think fellas? I sure would appreciate any input. :)

I'd say a Tung Sol 12AX7 (for standard use and some breakup) or JAN GE 5751 (if you want more articulation and headroom) in V1 coupled with whatever you like in V2...I use a Tung Sol in there too personally...

So just the regular Tung Sol tubes? Do you pretty much stick to Tung Sols for all your modules? I know there's probably a thousand threads with info on preamp tubes so I apologize for asking. What do you think of these Mullard style tubes?
http://www.tubedepot.com/mu-12ax7.html

Daryl said:
So just the regular Tung Sol tubes? Do you pretty much stick to Tung Sols for all your modules? I know there's probably a thousand threads with info on preamp tubes so I apologize for asking. What do you think of these Mullard style tubes?
http://www.tubedepot.com/mu-12ax7.html

Hey Daryl,

Tung Sol is my default preamp tube because they sound good in everything and don't cost a ton...They can get a little bright in some modules...So then, here's my thoughts on others:
I won't get into the NOS tubes because most peeps don't go that far with their rigs...I don't blame them! I'm kinda becoming a NOS junkie personally...Anyway, for standard tubes:
*JJs are good and kinda dark sounding...
*EH are very nice and musical, can get aggressive too...
*Mullard is love or hate - I tend to find they work ok in Marshally type tones but not so great in high gain situations...They are also very musical tubes but are very smooth...Great in V2, ok in V1...
*Rubys are not bad but you don't always know what to expect...I like a HG Ruby in V2 of some high gain modules...
*Jan GE 5751 tubes are awesome for providing instant clarity and articulation...
*Mesa tubes sound dull to my ear...Not horrible, just not worth the expense...They do NOT add Mesa character to Mesa styled modules...Unfortunately...That would be too easy!
*Groove Tubes are good, nothing special usually...
*Sovtek is also ok to good...

Please remember these are just my takes on these tubes...They're all great in something I'm sure...It's kinda fun to play around with a high gain tube in V2- especially coupled with a low gain 5751 in V1...When I order my Tung Sols I usually get 3 or 4 rated for high gain...Doesn't make a huge difference but it's there...Usually costs 2 bucks more for that...

Daryl: If you want to venture into the NOS realm, Amperex tubes sound GREAT in cleam modules. The Amperex Bugle Boys are supposed to be their best, but I found that any Amperex I have used has excellent tone. They are not cheap, but if you are patient and watch E-bay for a week or so you can get a NOS (unused) for around $35 or a "used, tests good" tube for around $20 to $25.

Look for long plates (17 mm).

I like JJs a lot for my higher gain mods, but I have used EHs. I looked for the Ampherex Bugle Boy tubes and they are awfully hard to find. I am still trying to find some at the right price and in good condition. Thanks for the input guys. I am going to get some Tung Sols. They are affordable and people seem to rely on them a lot. I guess I'll just have to try out tubes until I find some that butter my bread. :lol:

Hey Daryl a thought. I love Tung Sols and think you are making a very wise choice with them but let me toss another suggestion. Tung Sols may be a bit gainy for a twin so might i offer that you try some Electro Harmonix 12AY7's. I use them in a stock blackface and love them. I use it as a clean and still only crank it up to about half way so i have a little extra gain available for a dirty sound if i choose. Just a thought.

Peace, Joshua

I'm open minded to all suggestions. EH 12AY7 hmmm....Thank you sir.

jan philips 12ax7wa is imo the best preamp tube I've found. I agree with most of the post so far. atm I'm putting 12ax7wa for my input and it's really nice esp for cleans. I haven't tried the bugleboys yet but I will soon... probably similar though. When I get some more I'm going to try them my preamps as well i think it's sounds very clean i like it better for clean's than any others so far... Also noted that stock modules sound very muddy.

wakeguitar said:
Also noted that stock modules sound very muddy.

:shock:
I'll say I can dial in mud on any of my modules, but I can do that on any amp as well. Those modules that have a bright switch (pretty much all of them) I have no problem getting an unmuddy sound. Turn up the mids, turn down the gain, & check your tubes would be my suggestion if mud is a problem.

I really liked 12ax7wa's for a while but later found them to be a little too bright when I compared them with other tubes. FYI - they were originally designed for use in military field radios and thus were made to be hot, bright and relatively quiet. Just what you might need to hear a radio in the heat of battle.

For some reason, I have found that while they are quiet at first they tend to go microphonic in V1 after a few months.

Hi,

if you can take the volume loss, the old gray plate 12ay7 is just so "F@#$%^y". Otherwise I found the old 5751 pretty good for my Tweed.

Good luck!