axe fx

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus1

Reaction score
.played the axe fx ultra for a few hours the other night through a mesa 290 and my vader 4x12. we played my hellraiser 7 with an 81-7 in the bridege and his ibanez custom with a blackout in the bridege.didn't get it up to loud but it does sound like a real amp and reacts like one too but it doesn't push and have the fullness. at least at the volumes i was using it at compared to my rm100 at thye same volume anyway.it seemed to be similar to other modeling stuff that i ve used before. stiff but very consistant in how it reacts. just lacked the tube punch if u know what i mean i guess. it did feel pretty good though pretty alive but not quite like a 5150 or something like that. i did notice that alot of the high gain stuff sounded similar but it wasn't mine and wasn't set up for my guitar or cab so that could be. i do have some experience with other modeling stuff and honestly i can't wait to check out the new line 6 hd stuff cause after hearing clips and playing the axe i think the hd might be perfect for me. the axe is nice and probably way more than i need but i like my randall better for live which is the majority of what i do.but agin i guess it not fair to say since i didn't have it up to gig volume or play it with a band. i got a hunch and doesn't exactly replicate a cranked tube amp in everyway. if u got the cash get one it sure seems nice and would keep anyone busy for years. the possibilities on it seem endless and it does sound pretty good

I like to plug in my Randall every now and then for the fun of cranking it up, but for pretty much every day use for the past 6 weeks I've been using the POD HD. I've gotten some great tones out of it. It's reactive. It's not like turning on a tube amp and plugging in. It's great for recording. And I can get a really good sound at normal listening volumes where I won't damage my hearing. I'm just using my near field monitors.

I will say this about modelers. They do not seem to be as forgiving as a tube amp regarding pick attack. You do have to make some adjustments, but the adjustments translate well back on a tube amp.

yeah i like the idea of having something smaller and more versatile especially for recording. the hd sounds good in the clips i've heard. i was thinking of getting like an sl-2 power amp for it but i would probably just use monitors for the most part through the computer. does it need to run into an interface first? i think it has a usb out

It has a USB out. I've never used it because it requires ASIO drivers and I use Pro Tools on this machine and as soon as I use anything with an ASIO driver I have to reboot the machine if I want to use Pro Tools. I know they fixed this in PT 9, but like I said on another forum PT9 for me is a $1500 upgrade -- I've got to go from XP and add RAM to take advantage of Win 7, which essentially means $350 + a new PC. Don't even mention the word Mac. The one I'd need is $3000.

So I just run the XLR out direct to my interface inputs 1 and 2 for practice, and if I want to record anything I'll fire up the SPDIF and record three channels (one bone clean via JDI for reamping).

SPDIF is weird. I've got some sessions in 48 kHz and I can't use SPDIF with them even if synched, because my interface for some stupid reason doesn't like running four inputs at 48 kHz. It wants 44.1 kHz, so from here on I'm recording at 24 bit 44.1 kHz.

And if you've got the Red Wire cab IRs already I'd record with those as opposed to the L6 cabs. But people do this with the AXE FX too.

I have been using an AxeFx for the last four or five months or so. This unit is unlike any modeler I have tried. Real feel and amazing tones that are not homogenized. I use the AxeFx with a QSC K12 as a monitor/amp feeding directly to the house.

I could easily create my Lynch Box/Cab/M13 in 4CM setup with the AxeFx and have more possibilities. The Axe sounded great and reacted like my LB but it didn't sound the same. So I started using the Red Wire IR's which were amazing for what they do. Even then it didn't sound like my Lynch Box. Great tone but it sounded like I was playing through a Mesa or Marshall or whatever IR I had.

So, I am taking my Lynch Box in to get IR's created of it. This should be the final link. The IR's are being created by a guy that is in the business of speaker design and understands this sort of thing and has the high-end equipment to create the highest quality IR's there are.

I thought about doing it myself but when you get into the details you'll find you can create some good stuff on your own but to get true high-quality IR's you need the right tools that aren't readily available. Mainly calibrated mics that won't impart their own characteristic on the IR.

Thing is that it won't sound like your LB. It will sound like your recorded or miked LB via FRFR or FOH.

I think this is the big misconception about modelers. People are expecting the "amp in the room" feel. You won't get that from a modeler unless you're just using it as a preamp through your regular amp. Since I'm pretty much just doing recording these days modeling it the ticket. You can't beat it for that.

Now I'm starting to think about selling the amps and going with the recliner in the room. What will I do for a backup? I've got a POD 2.0.

I'm also thinking about trying out a Tyler Variax. If I like it I may sell a few guitars to get one.

Creating IR's with mics that are calibrated will not impart an EQ on the IR and so it won't sound like a miked LB cab. It will impart the characteristics of the cabinet. The more IR's you have at various locations will give you more options to mimic what you hear. If we used an SM57 or some other mic then yes, it will sound like a miked LB.

Will it sound exactly like a LB cabinet. Probably not but it will be closer. I don't even need to do this really. I have plenty of IR's that are really **** nice, the Redwirez IR's. But they impart mic qualities on the IR just like you describe. I am not creating a mic LB cab sound.

This has nothing to do with in-the-room feel. Which is just another useless debate from my pov.

It also depends on your IR loader if you use a laptop. For recording I use the Waves IR1 and if I use a mono/stereo plugin I get to use two IRs. If I record it as a stereo track I get to use four IRs, and some of the IRs give room and far room options.

Julia,
Ive been looking at that Variax ,as well....but cant get my hands on one to actually hear it..and the price seems to steep,imho.
If they sold the guts...Id put it in my Tom Anderson, and off I'd go...but they dont so...
I am at a crossroads on that piece of gear.
GtrGeorge

But is it a steep price. If the rest of the instrument is a good instrument AND has the Line 6 guitar modeling it could take the place of at least 3 of my axes.

I think the AXE FX is an overpriced piece of gear. It is entirely software based, yet doesn't even have a USB port for connectivity with your computer. Come on...For 2Gs it should have USB and make me a sandwich. I think that it is part of an initial wave of newer and improved software based modeling technology that will progressively come down in price. Moore's law describes a long-term trend in the history of computing hardware. The number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on an integrated circuit has doubled approximately every two years. The trend has continued for more than half a century and is not expected to stop until 2015 or later. Wait for it people...Tubes are the sound you want...and in this economy you buy a truckload of gear for 2G...

I think Daryl has some great points about a few things lacking in the AxeFx (USB, etc) and that the price will (should?) drop as time goes on. It is an itneresting piece of gear though. Quite versatile and arguably the best of it's kind thus far. $2K is steep for a preamp. But at the same time I think that if you can get multiple tones out of it that you really like, and use it for all of your effects as well then in that case it isn't quite so bad.

I just help but think that it is leaps and bounds ahead of all multi-effects and amp simulating units out there though. I'd really like to give it a shot.

Plus, free updates (often) is great.

Agreed that Axe FX is ridiculously overpriced. But you cannot beat the versatility of the unit. It takes a lot of tweaking, but once you get there, you're set.

I sold off my RM4 + Mesa 50/50 rig, Dual Rectifier, Framus Cobra, POD Pro, full pedalboard etc a couple of weeks after buying this unit. I go guitar - Axe FX Ultra - VHT 2902 into an Orange cab, and believe me it sounds as good as any of the amps I've owned in the past 15 years. HUGE, warm and real just like a real tube amp. Plus, the money that I've recovered after selling of my amps was substantial. I love it, I cannot see anything replacing it in the near future for me, and I'm a real gear wh**re :lol: My 2 cents

Ok,

there are a bunch of these for sale on classifieds around here now, what gives?

The Axe FX2 actually has a USB on it. I thought it was kind of silly that the first version didn't. Come on 2K for a software based modeling system that doesn't even have the capability to hook up to a computer without using peripherals. **** that...
The Axe2 looks pretty killer. I am becoming seduced by the modeling side of the force. Almost.
BONG!!!
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Actually,

I completely understand. I have the POD farm and it is nice for demoing at home. $2000 is too much for that though. I am reminded this week why the hardware solution is best for home recording, as the POD Farm refuses to run after I rebuilt my computer, and Line 6 took 3 days to respond by saying "burn up your cell minutes calling this number we cant' bother posting at our website."

My J Station sounds like crap, but is somewhat reliable and BS free....(sigh).

I'm running a POD HD500. They did some real cool stuff in their last firmware update:

* redid the original Bogner Uberschall -- they messed it up the first time, fixed it in the second patch, but the original screw up was an improvement over the Uberschall so it's been released as a Line 6 amp model.

* added the tremolo to the Twin, and vibe to the Deluxe channels.
* allowed for using different inputs on the JTM45 and JCM800 models, and jumpering.
* added true master volume control for all of the amps.
* added rectifier sag -- you can adjust how much you want: solid state, tube, or a real spongy tube.
* added bias adjustments and crossover bias adjustment so you can bias cold with a notch or bias cold without, or set your amp ready to blow up, where we know Marshalls sound the best.

All in all, it's better than ever before. For $500 it's a bargain, and has USB connectivity and an editing program. If you can afford another $400, the 11R is still slightly better in some respects, but lacks the effects bank and dual amp capacity, and if your computer can't run Pro Tools you can only set your patches on the unit.

Axe FX still rules though, if you can afford it. And really think about if you're going to benefit fully from it.

IMO modeling is where it needs to be now. People will still complain about the "digital fizz", but real amps fizz too, and it's very easy to EQ the frequencies out.

Julia said:
IMO modeling is where it needs to be now. People will still complain about the "digital fizz", but real amps fizz too, and it's very easy to EQ the frequencies out.

I don't know I would go that far. Definately for demoing/home recording, but there is just something about a tube amp cranked that moves that air, that I don't think has been replicated yet, especially if you are going direct into the computer.

Latest posts