SL+ Mod discussion ( origional pre later 08 version )

MTS module area including module modifications

Moderators: guitarguy510, ned

SacredGroove
Lynch Box

Post by SacredGroove » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:26 pm

trimix wrote:I've got both midrange resistor/cap combos on a front panel switch, as well as .001 and .0022 C3 caps on a second switch. Makes comparing much easier.
Sounds like my old SL+. :wink:
__Scott__

SacredGroove
Lynch Box

Post by SacredGroove » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 pm

khingpynn wrote:cool I'd definetly like to hear more on the comparisons.
The original is more like the vintage JMP tones and the revised JCM800 mod is a lot like the 80's mids. The 800 mod is cool because it slices through just about anything.
__Scott__

khingpynn
Lynch Box

Post by khingpynn » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm gonna like the 800 mod I'm sure :)

Hamner1
Lynch Box

Silver plate SL+ vs Black plate SL+

Post by Hamner1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:06 pm

OK I got a silver face SL+ (2002) from cold Machine today. Here are my thoughts after about 30 minutes of A/B them.

Gain: Silver plate has more gain. They seem to be similar when the silver plate is set at noon & the black plate is at about 2 o'clock. This may be an illusion though (see bass notes).

Bass: Silver plate has more bass than the Black plate SL+. This seems to give it more umph than the Black plate. This may also lead to the perception of more gain in the silver plate. Although I could be wrong.

Mids: Black plate has a pronouned high mid voicing compared to the Silver plate.

Treble: No distinguishable difference.

With that being said, the brief time I had with them so far, I could not dial in the Silver plate to nail the Black plate tone. Maybe thats possible, but it will have to wait for another day to tweak & play around. I liked the Silverplate more when rolling back the volume to get a clean or cleanish tone. The Black plate just seemed to get thinner sounding than the Silver plate for this. Eventually I will play around with putting a 12AU7 in V1 of each to see what that yields.
Non-MTS stuff for sale.

Good deals with: warlock, sickpunk, marinebassplayer, Rising Farce, durchgedreht, mattfig, & others.

SacredGroove
Lynch Box

Re: Silver plate SL+ vs Black plate SL+

Post by SacredGroove » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Hamner1 wrote:OK I got a silver face SL+ (2002) from cold Machine today. Here are my thoughts after about 30 minutes of A/B them.

Gain: Silver plate has more gain. They seem to be similar when the silver plate is set at noon & the black plate is at about 2 o'clock. This may be an illusion though (see bass notes).

Bass: Silver plate has more bass than the Black plate SL+. This seems to give it more umph than the Black plate. This may also lead to the perception of more gain in the silver plate. Although I could be wrong.

Mids: Black plate has a pronouned high mid voicing compared to the Silver plate.

Treble: No distinguishable difference.

With that being said, the brief time I had with them so far, I could not dial in the Silver plate to nail the Black plate tone. Maybe thats possible, but it will have to wait for another day to tweak & play around. I liked the Silverplate more when rolling back the volume to get a clean or cleanish tone. The Black plate just seemed to get thinner sounding than the Silver plate for this. Eventually I will play around with putting a 12AU7 in V1 of each to see what that yields.
That's a pretty good description. Also, you won't be able to dial them in the same. They're modeled after 2 different amps of different eras. :wink:
__Scott__

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:16 pm

Hey gents, I just purchased a RAndall Lynch Box with stock clean - brahma, and SL+. Right now for me, Brahma with the bright engaged is the way to go. Pushed with my modded DOD 308 and it is even killer. I find the SL+ to have a tad too much fat fuzzy gain past 12'. I was checking out some of the posted "gain" mods on the reference pages and I see that a common gain or bass reduction mod is to swap that initial cap (C3 i think it is labelled) to a lower value like .022 (which seems more in line with what you'd see in a JMP or 800). Does this make that much of a difference "tightness" wise to your ears? I'm also thinking of doing the 800 mod to bring out more of the mids as I find the SL+ sits back a little too much and could use a bit more raw voicing. Seems to me they were trying to extend this into the darker heavier rythms for folks looking beyond hot rodded MArshalls. Probably a way to make everyone happy..

Mine is the black plate SL+ by the way.. not sure if this means that it already has the 800 mod in it? I'll have to pull it out and check that later..

Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Amendment.. it would appear I already have the .001 uf cap on my board at C3. Still sounds pretty damn bass heavy if you ask me! Playing it with a JB and that is a tight pickup.. maybe it just isn't a module for me.

Hamner1
Lynch Box

Post by Hamner1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:34 pm

You are correct in that the Black plate SL+ has the 800 mod stock. I'm sure someone will chime in that if you think it still has too much bass then you could mod it to zap some of that bass. It seems to me to be spot on. I don't think it has too much bass, but then again different guitars, pickups, & cabs could account for that. For me the Silver plate SL+ is definately bass heavy, especially compared to the Blackplate SL+.
Non-MTS stuff for sale.

Good deals with: warlock, sickpunk, marinebassplayer, Rising Farce, durchgedreht, mattfig, & others.

Caine
RM100

Post by Caine » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:10 pm

I have a Gigmods SL+ that began life as a silver face module. It has a mini toggle switch for "JCM 800" mode and a three way mini toggle for LOWS cut. It's one of my favorite modules.
Last edited by Caine on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinozoku
Lynch Box

Post by Shinozoku » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:44 am

If your silverfaces have too much gain, check to make sure the R1, R2, and R3 are the correct value (found on the Grailtone site). Also, these resistors (as well as a few others) should be Metal Film to lower noise and add clarity.
RM100M w/ Tung Sol 5881's
Blackface(self modded), Ultra Lead, SL+(out of commission), Ultra XL (self modded)
Vader 2x12 Cab
Edwards E-AL-128 with a Seymour Duncan JB

khingpynn
Lynch Box

Post by khingpynn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:33 am

Hammer1... nice A/B comparrison.

Hamner1
Lynch Box

Post by Hamner1 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:58 pm

khingpynn wrote:Hammer1... nice A/B comparrison.
Thank you. I'm glad it was useful. Sometimes I think comparing modules (or amps) head to head may be better than trying to describe the modules attributes themselves. It gives a reference point for someone who has another module & based on what they are getting from that modulethey get a better idea if it is potentially for them.

To follow up with SacredGroove's comment... you cannot dial in the silverplate to nail the blackplate/800 mod SL+ (& vice versa). I tried, it isn't happening.
Non-MTS stuff for sale.

Shinozoku
Lynch Box

Post by Shinozoku » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:25 am

Hamner: Does your Silverface have the upgraded resistors? Or the old ones?
RM100M w/ Tung Sol 5881's
Blackface(self modded), Ultra Lead, SL+(out of commission), Ultra XL (self modded)
Vader 2x12 Cab
Edwards E-AL-128 with a Seymour Duncan JB

Hamner1
Lynch Box

Post by Hamner1 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Shinozoku wrote:Hamner: Does your Silverface have the upgraded resistors? Or the old ones?
I believe the old ones. It was stock from 2002. It has been sold to eventually fund a Judge module. Now if the 1086 would get sold as well.
Non-MTS stuff for sale.

Ricey
RM100

Post by Ricey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Trimix,

I have a stock SL+ with the JCM mod and the .001 cap at C3. I want a fuller bass response more like the Plexi module, but I don't want to end up with too much mud or a farty speaker. I am trying to decide whether to move up to a .0015 or .0022 cap at C3. When you switch over to the .022 cap, does it get too muddy or cause your speakers to fart out under high gain with the bass cranked up?