Mr. Scary settings

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kranked4Christ

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just picked up a mint Mr. Scary in a trade with Mattfig (very good to deal with). It has been a very long time since I had a Mr. Scary and I barely had it before I had to sell it. I really didn't nail down any settings & was just wanting to know at what settings does everyone run theirs- especially to get Back For The Attack and Under Lock & Key tones? Also, any changes for a lead tone? Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!!!

no particular settings outside the ones that sound good to you. this is an easy module to dial in. i reccomend throwing some jj83's in there and using a overdrive. getting the module modd'd with a warmth and clarity is a great idea too.

I use a boost for leads. No setting changes. I had mine modded but I would like to have a stock one again.

So long as you are careful with the treble, I don't think it's possible to have a bad setting with this module....and one mans thin, scratchy and ear piercing is another mans hyper-agressive metal :)

From memory I usually have

Gain - 1-3 o'clock
Bass - 2 o'clock
Mids - 1 to 2 o'clock
Treble - straight up

Here are the settings I use for a lead tone on the Scary (SL+ I use for Rhythm).

Gain - 3 o'clock
Bass - 2:30-3 o'clock
Mids - 12-1 o'clock (depends on the day)
Treble - 11:30-12 o'clock
Level - 1 o'clock
Bright switch - on

Let's see it's been a while, but it's in the amp....

Gain: 11:00
Bass: 11:00
Mids: 1:00
Treble: 11:00
Vol: 10:30

Presence: noon
Density: 1:00
Master: 9:30

Bright: off

But then I'm playing it with a bright guitar and that's a tone I like. I've given up trying to duplicate anyone else's tone because well, I can't play like them.

I use my stock Mr Scary for lead only, but I use it with a Strat and a Lynch Box 112 combo. No overdrive or distortion effects.

gain- 4
bass- 3
mid- 11
treb- 9
level- 1:30

Bright off

StratmanR2S said:
I use my stock Mr Scary for lead only, but I use it with a Strat and a Lynch Box 112 combo. No overdrive or distortion effects.

gain- 4
bass- 3
mid- 11
treb- 9
level- 1:30

Bright off

Since these settings were not far off from what I had it set at, I decided to try it. I liked it but I had to move the treble up to about 10:30 & the gain down to 3:00. Otherwise it seemed kind of muddy. I'm using EMG humbuckers. I'm digging this tone for lead. The pinch harmonics still scream, the lower strings still sound good & the lighter strings retain their presence/bite without getting shrill.

I loved that mod mine was modded by Pete.

as other said I used it for rythm and lead hard to get it too sound bad.

the bass usually 2 or 3 oclock .I find it does not have a ton .and stays nice and tight.

Mids anywhere from 10-2oclock sounds great .
Treble about noon
bright switch off maybe a bit more treble .

Bright switch adds a nice sizzle to the top.
Gain 12 -3 oclock sounds good

Hey, I just picked up one of these too and am really looking forward to giving it a spin. Thanks for the suggestions of the settings.

Mark

Yes,

this is an easy one to use. Growls nicely, lots of low end that people like. Probably stay away from having the gain past 3 oclock (it's not bad if you do that, just not necc.)

I kick the mids up a little to 1 oclock, and treble a little higher. I stuck a pair of old black plate 12ax7s in mine, it cleans the fizz and keeps the eq pretty even, no need for crazy settings.

Have fun!