I'm went swimming in Michigan today - outdoors in icewater!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Long story short, I've been a Special Olympics coach for 15 years...This is my 6 consecutive Polar Plunge and the money goes straight to VERY deserving athletes that do NOT take your support for granted...I don't either...Even a 5 spot helps a ton...I know times are tough for everyone and I usually don't make sales pitches - but we need your help...Myself and several close friends will dive into a very large hole cut into the ice and swim like it doesn't bother us just to raise a few bucks...Oh yeah, Special Olympics is volunteer-based so no coaches are paid- the money goes right to our athletes...I'll post some pics here of your money at work as 2011 gets underway...Thank you!

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/matthew-figurski/Belleville-Polar-Plunge-2011

It's not much, but if a $5-spot will be that big of a help, I'd be glad to donate. But I see they don't take PayPal . . . can I just PayPal you the $5 and you can just pool it with your final donation later, or whatever?

HughJasol said:
It's not much, but if a $5-spot will be that big of a help, I'd be glad to donate. But I see they don't take PayPal . . . can I just PayPal you the $5 and you can just pool it with your final donation later, or whatever?

You can paypal it to me at [email protected]

I honestly don't have a way of proving it gets to Special Olympics but I assure you, it will...Stealing from Special Olympics would be some pretty bad juju I would imagine...:)

Thank you!!!

Mattfig said:
I honestly don't have a way of proving it gets to Special Olympics but I assure you, it will...Stealing from Special Olympics would be some pretty bad juju I would imagine...:)
:lol: Don't worry about it - that never crossed my mind! Coming right up . . .

SacredGroove said:
Matt, if you do it in Lake Superior I'll donate $100...LOL. But, for now, how's $20?

Good job and way to donate your time!

Thanks man! Very kind of you...And just as a point of reference, the water temp in Belleville Lake is the same as that in Lake Superior...It's an iced over lake with a 15 foot circle removed for our "pool." In the past we have done it in the Detroit River but a tournament conflict brought us to Belleville as the date worked better for us and the Moose Lodge in Van Buren allows us to use their docks and waterfront for news and spectators...I'd gladly do Lake Superior as well just for bragging rights...Can't imagine it would be that much worse...I think the air and wind temp might be harder there though...Although again, Belleville Lake is a long, narrow, and windy lake too...Last year we did it in 14 degree weather with 35 mph wind gusts...Even the police divers that stay in the water during the event for obvious safety reasons were surprised we went forward with it...
Oh yeah, anyone is welcome to join in on the fun! :wink:

Thanks Scott!

SacredGroove said:
Theres a lot of people on this forum. It only takes 20 people to donate $5 to make a substantial donation. This is a good time for some MTS'ers to come forward for a noble and fellow brother. :wink:

That would be awesome...However, given the times, I sure wouldn't expect it to happen... :)

My noots have begun their ascention back into my body in preparation for the plunge... :lol: At least I can now hit those high harmonies!

Just sent ya $10 sir!!! That's an awesome cause and great of you to help out.

Mattfig said:
Thanks Hunter....Thanks very much- coming from a college guy I know what every penny means so your donation means a lot!

It was the least I could do sir. The organization and those dedicating their time and money to it certainly are deserving. :)

Well, I survived...I actually have a 101.5 fever today and have been throwing up like it's my job...But I still plunged...Pictures coming and a baaaaaaad night beginning for me...Ouch...It's been years since I've been this sick...Had to happen today of all days....

The pictures will be cool as I did the plunge with one of my athletes which is a first...It was a really cool moment and the crowd went crazy for her!

Much thanks to those who donated...We raised some serious fundage today to the tune of several tens of thousands of dollars... :)

Mattfig said:
Well, I survived...I actually have a 101.5 fever today and have been throwing up like it's my job...But I still plunged...Pictures coming and a baaaaaaad night beginning for me...Ouch...It's been years since I've been this sick...Had to happen today of all days....

The pictures will be cool as I did the plunge with one of my athletes which is a first...It was a really cool moment and the crowd went crazy for her!

Much thanks to those who donated...We raised some serious fundage today to the tune of several tens of thousands of dollars... :)

Bravo, my friend. Get well soon and congratulations.

Well, these outta sum it all up...

9hKXps

9hKXtj

9hGUCk

And yes, I did a flip...I figured it's already gonna suck no matter what, might as well do it properly.... :D

Thanks again guys!

More power to ya!! I grew up in the Detroit Area and always used to watch the coverage of the New years day plunge on the news...
When i was young I ran into lake Superior..If its even half as cold as that.. you have my utmost respect