One of my bands opening for Donnie Vie of Enuff Z'Nuff

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
March 11...Token Lounge...Westland, MI...

This is one of my bands called Melt...I'm actually just the bass player and sing a bit...My regular band called Fig is not playing that night just FYI...Tix will be higher than usual unfortunately but I'm sure I'll have a guest list if anyone wants on...

If you've never seen Donnie, this is a great opportunity...I'd be ha[[y to personally introduce you to him as I've known him forever...Even if you don't know who he is...He's worth seeing....

Enuff Z'nuff, a good ol' Chicago band. I remember seeing them, several times, at The Thirsty Whale before they were signed to a label. I just dated myself.

Good times bro...I'll bet we've probably been within ten feet of one another at some point since the Thirsty Whale wasn't that big....I used to come in for their weekend stands there...Even opened a few times...If you caught Donnie at JJ Kelly's or the Double Door in '05 then you saw me open - acoustic...I think I've killed all the brain cells from that era long ago and it's all fuzzy memory...Especially when Chip was around....:) Self-dated and proud!!!! We always open for them in Detroit and Chip and I were actually going to do an album together with Ricky Parent, who has since passed...The project went with him as well...All for the best...It probably wouldn't have sounded like I wanted anyway...If you've heard any of Chip's productions, they end up sounding like Enuff Z'Nuff light....:)

Guys,
I'm also a big fan of Donnie Vie and Enuff ZNuff.
I saw them ,where I live, on Long island in like 1994 (on the strength tour) and it was FANTASTIC!! Been a fan ever since.
I even made a POINT of stoppin in Rockford Ill, last time I was visiting Chicago..just to see where they came from..as well as Cheap trick.
Enuff Znuff was such a great band andI am still hopeful that Rock history will get the re-write it so sorely needs and Enuff Znuff will be given its due..they were so much more than just a hair metal band.
and though I know it goes on in some form or fashion...to me The band must contain Donnie or its just not the same.
GtrGeorge

Well, that's it then...You guys gotta get to Detroit and come to the gig...You can crash at my house...I haven't seen Donnie in a year or so, it'll be good to catch up and always great to see and hear him perform...Well, not always great, but usually... :wink: He's no Monaco.... :lol:

I respect John Monacocoming in and playing the songs well....but I think even he would admit its one thing to be a fine performer..but writing is a greater thing..its harder...for every 1,000 great voices there is maybe one great writer.
Donnie is a great writer and a great singer.
Not a perfect person..but a **** fine performer and writer!!!

GtrGeorge

Sorry: no funds for a jaunt to Detroit..besides Im booked here on Long Island.

I agree George...I think Monaco did an exceptional job keeping the band going for 6 years...He is a total pro...Always played and sang well...I like Tory but it's a shame John and Donnie can't coexist...Chip gets in the way too...Though I think he's also a cool cat in the end too...

So much potential...So many wrong choices.... :)

Tonight's the night...The pre-party has already begun, I'm told....If I start drinking + now, I'll be toast when we go on at 11:15... :) If anyone makes it out, I'm the bass player/sometimes singer for Melt, please say hi and let me buy ya a beer... :)

OMG...This is THE worst hangover I've had since I was 21...What an awesome night....Packed house....Good vibes....Donnie was in top form....It was just like the old days except today is a gruesome reminder that the "old days" have passed... :)

What kind of rig do you use live? I'm assuming you don't drag the studio rig out -- then again, I could be wrong.

by now its a few days later and hopefully the aftermath has become forgotten and only the goodvibes remain.
Good to hear Donnie was in fine form. You already know I am a forever fan,and even a badnight wouldn't change that.
So more info......??
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
by now its a few days later and hopefully the aftermath has become forgotten and only the goodvibes remain.
Good to hear Donnie was in fine form. You already know I am a forever fan,and even a badnight wouldn't change that.
So more info......??
GtrGeorge

Well, it was nothing short of amazing....Donnie played an acoustic show on Thursday night...

1st set
it's only love
it's no good
maryanne lost her baby
for now
still have tonight
right by your side
these days
kiss the clown
ill cry instead
wheels
sanibel island
cathlolic girls
blue island
habit
time to let you go

2nd set
were alright
aint it funny
lazy dazy
there goes my heart
revolution 1
baby loves you
you got hold of me
come together
fly high michelle
new thing
hollywood ya
the beast
yesterday
spider webs

Then Friday with a full backing band...
Rockin World
Were Alright
Aint it funny
For Now
Lazy Dazy
Baby loves you
Come together
Vacant love
There goes my heart
Revolution
Fly high Michelle
I want you to want me
New thing

Donnie was in excellent form....He's a lot of fun and seems like he's not as hard on himself as he once was....He seems like he's enjoying it again...It was a great experience and my buddy Mark set it all up and it went off without a hitch...Great crowds....All is well!

wow...thanks so much for all the details..You Rock!!
And Im glad to hear Donnie is doing well. His lil videos on his site made me think we were losing him permanently.
But that was like 3-4 years ago.
So glad he is back at it...truly,imho, nobody can top the guy at what he does..and his day is way overdue.
I dont think i could handle being in his shoes..so much talent..and completely dissed by the bizness.
I was there backstage the night they got cut from the label (Atlantic/Atco). I remember talking to the messenger who brought the bad news and I was told "The people want grunge..Enuff Znuff doesnt do Grunge..." (it was maybe 93-94)
I really pissed me off soooo much. They were touring Strength and the rug was pulled out from under them. they deserved so much better. I resent alot of Grunge for this..or should I say..the people in the bizness who follow fashions over music.
But again, Donnie is back and like the Jamaicans say "You cant keep a cork under water forever".
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
wow...thanks so much for all the details..You Rock!!
And Im glad to hear Donnie is doing well. His lil videos on his site made me think we were losing him permanently.
But that was like 3-4 years ago.
So glad he is back at it...truly,imho, nobody can top the guy at what he does..and his day is way overdue.
I dont think i could handle being in his shoes..so much talent..and completely dissed by the bizness.
I was there backstage the night they got cut from the label (Atlantic/Atco). I remember talking to the messenger who brought the bad news and I was told "The people want grunge..Enuff Znuff doesnt do Grunge..." (it was maybe 93-94)
I really pissed me off soooo much. They were touring Strength and the rug was pulled out from under them. they deserved so much better. I resent alot of Grunge for this..or should I say..the people in the bizness who follow fashions over music.
But again, Donnie is back and like the Jamaicans say "You cant keep a cork under water forever".
GtrGeorge

Couldn't agree more....They (EZN) tried to play ball and got pigeon-holed very fast...While they produced music that was somehow missed by the general public that was worthy of nothing short than complete respect...They progressed and as they did, the fans numbers declined in favor of much shittier music...Donnie is a classic example of a musical genius who's almost tortured by the very gift he has been bestowed....He knows greatness in his mind and it doesn't mesh with his real-life experience....His actions off stage never helped...But to think they may have affected his pro career is sad...I really like and respect the guy...We had a great time just bullshitting and hanging out....He's so mellow and together, it's weird...He doesn't want to party.....Until after the show, which I respect more than anything....And party we did!!! Fun and genius...He seems to be getting things together...His sis was there to look after him, she was cool too....I was probably a bad influence before we went on, but I knew he understood...He watched my band's entire set from side stage...Cool night....Chip's with Adler now so Donnie will be back here soon...2 successul nights is good *****....

GtrGeorge! said:
I really pissed me off soooo much. They were touring Strength and the rug was pulled out from under them. they deserved so much better. I resent alot of Grunge for this..or should I say..the people in the bizness who follow fashions over music. GtrGeorge

Yeah that is some complete crap. I'm sure if the role was reversed the Label would have said FU your not going to do this Grunge stuff, this other style sells. In my opinion talent sells. If the talent is there you can get a sizeable audience if you know how to market it. IN my opinion that's all they did with Grunge and there wasn't much talent there. Nirvana got a following in '91 (it was new & "cool") :roll: In truth no it wasn't all that new, which of us didn't at some point belong in a band or jammed with friends in the garage or basement in ordinary street clothes. I believe this is called a "garage" band.
Ok I'm off my rant. It is cool though that things are turning around for him.