Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
I just got a gigmods 1087 second hand recently and it is kinda bassy and dark sounding. Is that along the lines of how a stock 1086 sounds? Cause it really seems lifeless and dull sounding, I even tried multiple different tubes.

1087 does not have chainsaw modern gain....but you can dial in some great tones. Use lots of treble.

I had a love/hate with the 1087. Killer lead module, super dirty/crunch tones, but the hi gain rhythm sound was not always a great fit for me.

The stock 1086 sounds nothing like it. The 1087 has lots more gain and mids (lo mids?) The 1086 sounds like a Plexi with a touch more gain and a tighter bass cap. The midscoop side on the 1086 is completely useless.

If I had the cash, I'd buy your 1087 in a heartbeat

I think that the core of this tone is just not my thing. From what other people have described and my tweaking with it, it is just does not fit my style. Thanks for the reply

I tried quite a few things before I settled on 'my tone'. After several tube experiments I settled on a JJ in V1 & a Tungsol in V2*. Then I dimed the middle and left the bass & treble at 3 'o' clock - Game on!

* Kudos to the guys on here for the tip 8)

I actually slaves out of my rm100 into my Mesa 2:90 with the modern engaged and it sounds pretty awesome. It is not quite my tone but it did sound pretty cool. I think I may end up going with a rm4 into my Mesa cause now that I have tested the modules with the modern and deep voicing of the 2:90, the modules do sound a lot sweeter.

It should be a fairly bright module, at least compared to stock. Might want to check the preamp tubes, they may be tired.

Pete

I am Legion said:
I tried quite a few things before I settled on 'my tone'. After several tube experiments I settled on a JJ in V1 & a Tungsol in V2*.
Before I sold my 1087 I had settled on a Tung-Sol in V1 and a Penta 12AX7M in V2. I imagine if the module sounds a little bright to you then maybe a JJ in V1 instead of the Tung-Sol would be the perfect combination. Try a Penta 12AX7M in V2 (Doug's Tubes has them).

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this message is still in the first page so...

I have a 1087 and I'm really loving it. I have saw the youtube video and it seems like it should have a pull gain knob for extra low end and pull master knob for more gain.

Mine only has a gain pull knob for more gain.

My version is probably older, isn't it? Does anyone know any other differences?

Hey Mysticalp, did you read my PM? Plenty of info there.

I loved my 1087, and I used it solidly for three years. Mysticalp is the new owner now, but I'll probably pick one up again.

It is a shame Pete seems to have gone AWOL. I've owned most of his mods and they are all killer.

I have several GM modules, I have to say (in my experience) the EQ is quite different from other offerings I've heard. Probably the way he tunes them or something, not bad in any way just a flavor.

Also could sound different with different amp/cab variations.... that is just my theory.

I would try a different modder to be able to compare to see what you like better.

That was the coolest thing about the Gigmods modules, IMO, was that they were truly different from other offerings out there. that made them unique, if they suited you. Like ice cream and pizza, people like different flavors, so more flavors in the world was a good thing ;) Pete still seems pretty active over at RigTalk (username Stratotone, I think). Maybe we can send him a few PMs and see if we can convince him to at least fire up the side work again.

And maybe get him to finish the work people have already paid for.....