Want to see some sweet Thorn action?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy510

Reaction score
Here are some pictures for you guys of my baby in progress, Thorn #153 (try not to drool on your keyboard too much... I will not be held liable for replacements! :lol: ) :

Thorn_153_Update_8.jpg

Thorn_153_Update_1.jpg

Thorn_153_Update_2.jpg

I lost the spec sheet but here we go from memory:

Thorn Artisan Deluxe model (# 153)

Thorn Artisan Deluxe # 153:

Carved Top: Bookmatched Flamed Walnut

Body : Chambered ONE-PIECE Walnut w/ Clear Gloss Finish

Total body thickness: 1-7/8"
Tummy cut and rear hand contour: Yes
Neck: Flamed Walnut w/ Oil Finish

Headcap: Match Top
Neck Carve: PRS Regular Carve
Fretboard: Flamed Walnut / 25" Scale / _____" Radius / 22 Frets
Nut: 1.687" Earvana Tusq
Fretwire: Med./Jumbo Stainless Steel
Bridge: Thorn Tremolo w/ L.R. Baggs Piezo - Brushed Nickel
Tuners: Locking Sperzel - UltraLite w/ Pearloid Buttons
Pickups: Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell calibrated set
Neck -HB Rebel Yell neck
Bridge - HB Rebel Yell bridge
Purfling: Paua Body Top/Sides / Fretboard / Headstock
Side Dots: White Mother of Pearl
Dunlop Straploks - Nickel
Inlaid Logo: Pearl/Paua
Inlaid Truss Rod Cover - Brazilian Rosewood & Sterling Silver
Fretboard Inlays: Paua Firesuns

Neck Heel Inlay: "Matt Garcia" Signature in Paua

Controls:
Master Volume, Tone and 3-way toggle switch (Humbuckers, EBMM Metal toggle switch).

Blend knob for piezo. (Ctrl-X preamp)

3-way mini-toggle for Humbuckers only / Humbuckers+Piezo / Piezo only.

Mini Mono/Stereo push button
Mini Toggle (Parallel Humbuckers, or something like that?)

Color: Natural

Body: Gloss Finish

I wish he was still taking orders as I'd love to have another 1-2 on order. Ron's guitars are THE best guitars I've ever played in my life. Each one is different somehow and has it's own personality, however I've NEVER played one that didn't sound and play absolutely amazing! :D

Here are a couple more shots I found:

Thorn_153_Neck_Top_2.jpg

FLAMED_WALNUT_2.jpg

Thorn_Walnut_Back.jpg

FLAMED_WALNUT_1.jpg

This was another guy's guitar that I used to mock up my electronics:

Matt_Garcia_Thorn_153_Layout.jpg

Enjoy! I'm so excited!!! It's been in progress for over a year, but the patience pays off in the long run. This guitar is going to be PERFECT! :D :D :D

No Thorn love on here? I just got some more update shots for anyone interested:

Here the fretboard has been routed for Firesun Inlays and the side dot inlays have been completed.

Thorn_153_Fretboard_1.jpg

Ron working hard, routing my fretboard for the abalone purfling.

Thorn_153_Fretboard_2.jpg

And finally a group shot with some other in-progress necks, mine is on the far right. It's all glued up and ready for firesun and purfling inlay! Woo hoo!

Thorn_Neck_Lineup_1.jpg

Freakin' GORGEOUS! Thorn does some incredible work!

I had an all hand-made custom guitar made a couple years ago. It was a great experience. There's nothing like playing something made just for you.

Here's my baby iffin your interested:

Superglide.JPG

Wow very cool Scooter! Who made that for you? Banana headstock on a singlcut guitar, eh? I dig the design and that pickup configuration is unusual (in a good way, of course)! Good stuff! :D

The guitar was built by Russell Lee Davis. The design is one I came up with years ago, but found it difficult to find a builder who would do it. Russ did EVERYTHING I asked for, including inlaying my guitar name on the headstock (although he did sign the back of the headstock).

25" scale
All Korina body and neck
Maple carved top
Deep set neck tenon
Macassar Ebony fretboard bound in flame maple
V tailpiece with matching inlays
Triple coil bridge pickup & angled neck pickup
5-way rotary switch
Pull to tap volume and tone knobs
Belly cut
Neck heel contour
Biggest, fattest neck carve EVER - LOL!

Very cool, sounds like a winner! Oh man, I'm totally drooling over my fretboard pictures though.... I had no idea the fretboard wood would be so nice, although Ron's wood stash is incredible so I guess I should have figured it was going to be nicer than I could imagine! 8)

jmgman70 said:
The back is as nice as the front "INSANE"what type of finish went on that beauty?

The top is a vintage yellow type color, the back is natural. Finished in a bazillion coats of hand polished lacquer. Probably not the thinnist finish, but durable and beautiful.

Hey matt make sure that you post some pics of that guitar when it's done!Love to see that thing when its done!!!!!!!

Sure thing! I'm as excited as anyone to see her completed! I'm flying out to California in 2 weeks for NAMM and the Thorn event so I'll take some more pictures of her in person!

Strangeland don't GAS too hard bro, Ron cut off orders for at least 12-24 months!!! I'm GASing for a second one and I won't be able to order it until Ron opens the book back up! :shock: That's okay, # 153 will keep me happy! :D