RT2/50 Rack or the RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlagdog

Reaction score
So I have pretty much decided on getting the Randall. Now its just deciding on the RT2/50 Rack stuff or the RM100. So who has tried both and can give me the skinny.

I actually haven't tried either, but the RT2/50 would be more versatile with both EL34s and 6L6s. If you go the with the RM4 preamp route, then you can also look into VHT Poweramps (either the VHT 2/50/2 or VHT 2/90/2). Both of the VHT poweramps are a very popular rack setup here, so I'm sure people can comment on them.

RM100 isn't that bad either. The only issue I know of is that they tend often have Quality/build problems and aren't as reliable as some people like.

However, the Egnater Mod 100 heads are a much higher quality version of the RM100, and if you absolutely have to have a Head, I would recommend you go that route (although, it is more expensive).

schlagdog said:
So I have pretty much decided on getting the Randall. Now its just deciding on the RT2/50 Rack stuff or the RM100. So who has tried both and can give me the skinny.

Partly, the answer might depend on how many tones you need out of your amp at any one time. The RM100 has 3 module slots, and the RM4 has 4 slots. So, if you really need 4 different sounds simultaneously (ie without changing modules), then it may be worthwhile considering the RM4/RT2-50 setup.

If you can live with a 3-channel amp, then I think most guys are happier with the simplicity of a head and you still have the flexibility of switching out modules as needed. A rack setup can typically require a lot more tweaking to get things sounding good. But if you like tweaking, or if you do a lot of recording/studio work that requires lots of different sounds, then the rack setup may be worthwhile.

The rack setup can be pretty heavy to carry as well! The RT2-50 alone must weigh at least 35-40 pounds...that thing is a brick. Combine that with a preamp, effects, power conditioner, and all the other things you need to put in your rack, and it can be much heavier than a head. But, then again you get a lot more flexibility with the rack setup...4 channels instead of 3, and the ability on the RT2-50 to channel switch between 6L6 and EL34 tubes, which works great BTW.

Well that should give you something to think about...hope it helps!

Depends on your budget and your back! lol The RT2/50 is a HEAVY beast, you better have a strong back if you're planning on lugging that thing to gigs! The RM100, however, is also quite heavy itself so it's really not a good determining factor IMO. Do you NEED all three modules (or four if you're going the RM4 route) or can you get by with two? If you can, check out the RM50HB or if you have the funds definitely pick up the MOD50 head. That's what I have and I love it! :D

I have an RM100C and and an RM4 that I switch between. Basically, I use a switcher to go between the RM4 and the combos preamp, but both feed the power section of the combo. Tone wise, I cant tell a difference. I too am thinking about going with the rack set up or keeping what I have. I already carry a rack, will a few more spaces and 40 pounds more kill me? prolly not, but will it fit in my civic? prolly not. :)

If I do an all rack set up I want to run it in stereo. I thought about getting two rt2/50s so I can channel switch in stereo but that is just too much. But what I do like about the randall poweramps is that all the tubes are accessable from the back of the amp and you can bias everything from the front. You'll never have to remove your amp from the rack. Unfortunately, with the VHT poweramps nothing is accessable from the rear. You must de-rack your amp and remove the top cover to get to the tubes. Plus you have all those great voicing options on the VHTs but non of them are switchable via a remote pedal, which to me, kinda makes them useless. But as other say, the VHT stuff has a reputation for being the best poweramp you can buy.

If I go with an all rack set up I'll prolly order both power amps and decide which one I like more.

cody