What is the Mode switch on the Judge actually doing?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
For the techies out there, what is the mode switch on the Judge actually doing? Is it just a tone curve switch or is it doing more that that? I'm wondering if the Judge could be modded via the mode switch to allow it to go from stock to something like a HG Jose mode.

The switch makes the sound tighter, more focused and with much less treble. It doesn't seem to add overdrive altough the effects of the sound could be perceived as such.

Also, in my opinion, if there is one module that sounds great stock, it is the Judge.

I've had my Judge module since December and have had quite a bit of time to put it through the numbers. It does what it's intended to do I guess, although I'm not really all that impressed with the mode switch. I like it mostly in the left position with a BB pedal in front of it.

What I'm wondering is what is "technically" going on with the mode switch. I have sent messages to two different modders about the possibility of modding it via the mode switch so that it's stock in the left position and something like an HG Jose in the right. I have no idea if something like that is even possible with the mode switch. Neither modder that I inquired with bothered to even acknowledge that I sent a message--no reply. I guess whomever I can get to actually reply to my messages will get my business.

I'm guessing that it's switching a part in the tone stack between the treble and the mids...but I know notheenk about tube amps.

For the record, I prefer it switched to the right...darker and smoother tone...though I do occasionally go for that switch to the left if I want a high gain Plexi sound.

I haven't seen the Judge, but my guess is also that another treble cap is being switched in/out. There may be more on this module since I haven't seen it.

The switch itself isn't in a position to do what you want with the HG Jose. A secondary switch and other components would be needed to get what you want.

I am prefering the left side currently as well now that is broke in some. Caine you have a cool idea there, although I like the general EQ of the Judge. The only mod, to the Judge, I really consider from a day to day basis is a push/pull on the gain to boost the gain. But it is fleeting. The SL+ on the other hand I like the idea of having the JCM800 SL+ and SLO on a toggle. :D

Quick heads up:
If you PM'd them on the forum that will explain the no-response.
The PM inbox on here fills up quickly, and there's no warning about it.
So try e-mailing!

Anthony of Salvation Mods can be contacted at [email protected]
Other modders I don't know, but it's not hard to find out ;)

I think going from stock to HG Jose might be too much to ask.
Especially since it seems to be a SPDT switch.
But I think that depends on how close the circuit is already ;) and I can't answer that.
Very interested in how this turns out!

m0jo said:
Quick heads up:
If you PM'd them on the forum that will explain the no-response.
The PM inbox on here fills up quickly, and there's no warning about it.
So try e-mailing!

Anthony of Salvation Mods can be contacted at [email protected]
Other modders I don't know, but it's not hard to find out ;)

I think going from stock to HG Jose might be too much to ask.
Especially since it seems to be a SPDT switch.
But I think that depends on how close the circuit is already ;) and I can't answer that.
Very interested in how this turns out!

I have tried both email and PM in some cases. W/ the PM function on this forum, you can see whether or not the message was read and all of my messages were read. One of the modders has done a lot of great work for me in the past but he seems hard to contact sometimes.

Anyway, I sent my Judge and Scary modules out today to Trace at Voodoo Amps. I have never worked with Trace before. I spoke with him on the phone awhile back about doing these mods but hadn't followed up until now. He's doing an upgrade to the Scary--clairty/articulation. He is going to check out my Judge module also. He had yet to see one so he wasn't sure about the mode switch so I guess we'll see when he gets it and does his evaluation. I would never mod a signature module to the point of completely changing the intent of the module. Afterall, why pay $300 for a module and completely change it? Otherwise, why not save $100 and use a used or non-sig module as a donor module? At the very least though, I will have some gain, clarity and articulation mods done to the Judge. If Trace can do a two mode mod--sort of an upgraded Judge ('68 Plexi) in the left position and then to a high gain Hose mod via the right position of mode switch that would be killer. But, yeah, that might not be possible. I'll soon find out.

I'd like to see a Judge with a built in gain boost...might even look at doing it myself, since I basically think I've got the info kicking around somewhere to up the gain...unless it's escaped from my PMs :-(

I spoke with Trace at Vooamps today, he has my Judge module. He at first thought the mode switch was a mid boost but after he got looking at it more, he determined that it adds some clipping/gain with volume damping (I suppose to keep it at the same volume when you flip the switch--it's not a huge amount of added gain). His assessment is the same as mine: muddy. He is cleaning it up for me, adding some gain, opening up the tone more and basically making the mode switch more usable. I'll post a new thread after I get it back with my assessment.

Caine said:
His assessment is the same as mine: muddy. He is cleaning it up for me, adding some gain, and basically making the mode switch more usable.

I agreee with both points.
I have been trying to get mode 2 to sound good for me and it just doesn't. Muddy/fuzzy is the best way to describe it, even with the Bright on & the Treble in the 3 o'clock+ range.

If I do get it modded The above is what I am thinking as well, some added gain & maybe mid boost when switched to mode 2. I'm still tossing around idea's in my head. I'll try different tubes 1st to see what that does.

GtrGeorge! said:
Caine..
how did that mod come out by Voodoo??
GtrGeorge

It turned out awesome.

Honestly, I was not all that impressed with the stock Judge but sort of thought it would grow on me as everyone seemed to be talking it up on the forum--like I just needed to get it dialed in just right. But, it never really did grow on me. I even pushed it with my xotic bb pedal. It still lacked umph and was muddy, which is also what Trace said (muddy).

Since the mod, it has more usable bottom and a lot more gain while still retaining that classic plexi tone. It now lives up to having been named after a muscle car. As far as the mode switch, it really just seems to be a tone curve thing and I leave it in one position all the time--and leave the bright switch off.

Caine said:
GtrGeorge! said:
Caine..
how did that mod come out by Voodoo??
GtrGeorge

It turned out awesome.

Honestly, I was not all that impressed with the stock Judge but sort of thought it would grow on me as everyone seemed to be talking it up on the forum--like I just needed to get it dialed in just right. But, it never really did grow on me. I even pushed it with my xotic bb pedal. It still lacked umph and was muddy, which is also what Trace said (muddy).

Since the mod, it has more usable bottom and a lot more gain while still retaining that classic plexi tone. It now lives up to having been named after a muscle car. As far as the mode switch, it really just seems to be a tone curve thing and I leave it in one position all the time--and leave the bright switch off.

I'm gad to hear you are enjoying it! Hope you had a relaxing Father's Day weekend.

Have a great evening;
Trace

Latest posts