Joe Bonamassa

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
I can't stop playing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46UFXQVSnKs

I had a chance to see Joe live on the weekend. He was unbelievable. As cool as the videos are on Youtube of him, they don't do him justice. His vocals are equally as good as his guitar playing. If you ever get a chance to go see him live I highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8dEJQiei30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjAmefOXFp0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePsPTWGmR-w&feature=related

I know this is an older post, but I just watched the vid for the first time a few minutes ago. Man that is seriously tasty playing. It's incredibly fluid and his vibrato perfect. You have to love a crowd that size that is respectful enough to just sit quietly and enjoy an amazing piece of music. Stellar vocals too, as you said.

He plays guitar like Morgan Freeman speaks, with expression and loads of meaningfulness.

That said, as much as I love Joe B, sometimes I think he's just Gary Moore minus the awesomeness.

hunter said:
He plays guitar like Morgan Freeman speaks, with expression and loads of meaningfulness.

That said, as much as I love Joe B, sometimes I think he's just Gary Moore minus the awesomeness.
Excellent call! I'm a science geek and Morgan Freeman's narration of the "Through the Wormhole", series is perfection.

cold Machine said:
hunter said:

Excellent call! I'm a science geek and Morgan Freeman's narration of the "Through the Wormhole", series is perfection.
Perfect description ..

The first notes just gave me goosebumps, love these recordings.

The Ballad of John Henry of the same gig is also awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBgNuP86BNk&feature=related

I saw Joe open for Peter Frampton a few years ago..I guess 8 years ago. Clearly he has chops, and has paid dues...and also, He does seem to get better every time around..
Im not dissing him..cause its obvious he's paid dues and can play AND sing the blues...
But for my money Gary Moore just somehow did it better,in my mind. He just connected for me. I think Gary connected to alot of people. I felt complelled after hearing him: I HAD TO GO OUT AND FIND THE CD..it was just like that. Miss him. Still.
And Frampton came out and was just very entertaining in a way that Joe just wasnt...
Still Joe is really getting there..I know its sacrilidge..but I like him better than SRV,,, If you can go and watch recent Joe and then watch SRV. Both great...but Joe really is a sharp shooter..he never misses it seems. SRV is inspired, but ****...Joe find so many DIFFERENT ways to play the blues
ok I'll go hide now and wait for the Hate emails...
gtrGeorge

You guys might like this then.

This guy is a little too animated for me, but nice playing

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/kingoftheblues/

as for SRV, I got to see him live 5 times in the South Texas area, once at a little club before his first album broke (yes I am old) all the shows were fantastic and that playing of his brought generations back to the blues

When Isaw him live, and he 'got rolling', the hair would stand up on the back of my neck because i knew something special was on the way.

Listening to the second Black Country Communion album right now for the first time - solo on "Save Me" amazing.

Just figured out who these guys are like last week. Really quality on all fronts.

The first album is permanently installed in my car CD player - looks like the second one's gonna hafta go in there too!

From what I know, he's a dang nice guy too.

Comparisons for blues playing seems inevitable, but sometimes unfortunate? There's a big common ground for certain players, but the ones mentioned above (IMO) all have some really unique things going on when they totally get (or got...) ripping.

I would have to nod personally towards SRV though... Just my own feeling :)

...Joe is really special....I dont know what will happen next with him....but I think at some point he will have an epiphany and be JOE.
Like, for me...I used to hear SRV when he was coming up..and he was certainly really good..but on his last CD...the instrumental ("Lenny" I think is its name...) Right then and there I knew he wasnt just copping licks from Albert King,Jimi Hendrix and one other guy. The hair stood up on my neck and it was not no longer questionable..the guy was totally FORMED.
When I heard about his death..it was about a month after that..I just knew it was deeply tragic..not just for him,obviously, but for Us..we never heard what he would do next..and I knew it would be something great.
GtrGeorge

I discovered Joe in 2008. I was very impressed. My guitar tech has a dinner for some of his top clients every few months. It's a great way to meet other players and just talk shop. Someone asked if I'd been impressed with anyone lately and I answered "Joe B." This other guy at the table just started "going off" on me! He "really" did NOT like Joe B! He went on and on .....I was like "Did he **** your girlfriend or something? Why all the hostility?"
The next day I looked up this guy on Youtube to check out "his" playing. He was a fine player, but not in Joe B's league.
I wish Joe could have worked things out with Black Country Communion. They were putting out some great stuff. The way I heard it, Joe told them to go on with another player, but then told them they could no longer use the name Black Country Communion! Too bad. Jake E. Lee would be a perfect replacement in that band, but without the band name, what's the point?

Cool story Jace. Joe B isnt popular with my locals either but I still think he is cool. BCC made one awesome band IMO. I know Joe tours quite a bit on his own and Glenn desires much more touring. You intrigue me on an addition of Jake. He is one of my favs and it would make an awesome band. Cant remember the band name but Jake has set out to release an album sometime with in the next year. Cant wait.

I still believe Jake E. Lee to be a seriously under-appreciatted musician. I had heard he was in dispute with Ozzy over material he worked on during his time with the Ozzy Osbourne Band. I cant seem to find the details anywhere..maybe they settled..but for a time there was some talk gong around.
he clearly is a great player and had he not been walking into RR;s old job..he might have been given a better appreciation.
But go back and listen to what he brought to "The Ultimate Sin"...I really was impressed. It was different and yet it kept with what Oz was into.
As I said Joe B. is a skilled player and the Palladia video just proves it in spades. But, for me, I am waiting for the unmistakable moment when I say "That's Joe!!"..noone one does that but him!! I havent heard it yet..but when it happens its gonna be INCREDIBLE.
GtrGeorge