MTS 2x12 cab noise

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter

Reaction score
My new V2 puts out so much "punch" that it makes my MTS 2x12 cab's grille cloth buzz. It's pretty bad. Maybe the cloth is not tight enough or something. If I press my hand on it the buzzing stops. But whenever I do any palm mutes, I can clearly hear the noise. I can't record with this.

Anyone ever have this happen? What should I do?

(I bought the cab new a month ago.)

Hey Scooter, has it been OVER a month yet? Are you still able to return it or has it passed the 30 day return window? Mine never did that so I don't really know what to do there short of either attaching something to the grillcloth to make the buzzing stop or regrilling it (expensive though, I would think?). Did you try PMing the Randall Customer Service guy on the board yet? He might be able to help too! :)

The customer service guy you're referring to (Doug) has been nothing short of spectacular. He's been very helpful to me lately. I almost hate to ask for any more "attention" - LOL! :lol:

It's been about a month, but I can't remember the actual date I took delivery. I wonder if I still have the receipt?? :?

Yeah I would say look for the receipt or maybe ask Doug about the warranty. That doesn't sound normal to me, like I said, I had an MTS 2x12 cab for several months and it was fantastic. I'm about to take my RS125CX cabinet back from my friend so I'm looking forward to testing it out with the Egnater head! :D

I just spent the last hour playing with the cab again. I took the plastic Randall logo of (just to make sure it wasn't rattling). Nope. The funny thing is, the grille cloth seems perectly tight. I just don't get it. I replaced one of the V30's with a G12T75 when I got the cab, so I thought maybe that speaker wasn't securely tightened down. Checked that and - nope again. Ugh.

It's almost like the bass response of this cab is TOO good. Maybe the speaker cones themselves are causing the noise. Perhaps it needs a vent hole. Possible?

I plugged the head into a Mesa cab and didn't have close to as much low end. No noise either.

I took delivery of this cab at the end of November so my 30 days to return it are just over. Besides, I got it as a "scratch 'n dent" from the factory in Mundeline (through a dealer). Hmm....

That was it! :eek:

My thinking out loud (above) paid off. I went back and took the top half of the back off and EUREKA! No noise! The problem is that the cab is sealed so tight that the air pressure created by palm-muted chugging is pressing against the speaker cones causing them to buzz (fart?). It wasn't the grille at all.

For the record, this wasn't as big a deal with the MTS head as it is with the V2. The V2 is a bass monster!

The bad news? With the back open, I'm losing a lot of that precious bass response.

I wonder if Randall or some other cab builder would be able to add a vent or two in the cab so I could keep the back closed?

Is it really cold where you are? It's possible that the wood is in a state of contraction right now from the weather and it was leaving a slight gap between the top piece and the bottom piece of the back? I would think if the cab was REALLY tight it would be preventing that issue, maybe it was not tight enough? Now that the piece is missing the issue is gone... :wink: Here's something to try: once it starts warming up (like between winter and spring, don't wait too long as you don't want to try putting that back piece on once the temperature is too hot outside!) try putting the top piece back in. My theory is that you might just be experiencing a slight shrinking in the top piece of your back wood on the cab. If you leave the piece off and wait until it is really hot out and try putting it back, I would bet it wouldn't fit (or at least without a LOT of struggle!) because the wood had expanded. Just thinking out loud here! :)

If the problem is that it is too tight then you could drill a hole in it. A bit permanant if it doesn't work though.
An advantage of the hole would be that you can tune the bass response a bit by adding different length tubes. There is an equation to figure out the tube diamiter and length for the frequency you want, but I don't know what it is. I have a 2x10 box that I use for practicing at home. I used a paper towel roll and kept cutting it shorter till I found a good sound. I then replaced it with PVC pipe. i put the hole on the bottom of the front panel in the center.

Latest posts