Recommend Me Some 5881s

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EWSEthan

Reaction score
Ive been using Sovteks and I like them but should I try some others? If so, which ones?

Thanks,
Matt

You should try some JJs. I had some Sovtek 5881 in a marshall amp once and I couldn't believe the difference I heard when I switched. I wouldnt put Sovtek 5881s in anything. But that is just my experience.

cody

I actually tried JJs and didnt really like them. My amp seemed to lose clarity with them.

Where are these reviews of the Tung-Sols?

-Matt

I recommend Groove Tubes GT6L6CHP Blackplates... nice tube to give a try.
Also the Tung Sol's are great but if you want to try something spectacular then go N.O.S. Sylvania.

Khing

Worth mentioning is the fact Sovtek 5881s are not 5881s per se - just some surplus 6L6-ish valve they found somewhere. Also be aware 5881s of original specs follow the 6L6GB standard with its limitations in plate voltage.

I'm also looking into 5881s and have had my eyes on the GT Blackplates and the shortbottles for a while now, with the intention to put them in my Mesa Fifty/Fifty.

Just got the GT Black Plates. Man what great valves GT have in these. Smooth all the way, yet with a pondus and strength that make them seemingly louder than those Ruby Tubes that were in there before.

Having replaced the Sovtek driver valve and phase/ inverter valves with EHs the ounce left of that metallic high end was wiped out.

Now I'm anticipating the 5881Cs with high expectations, estimated arrival any day now. We'll see how they will turn out then. Aparently these would resonate in another way than the CHPs, the bulbs/ bottles being shorter (like a real 5881 or a 6L6GB), and are intended for use with my SL module.

The Black Plates where meant to go with my Twin module to soften my tone up slightly, but having sort of a tang of a power pentode over them, yet with the softnes of a 6L6, there's a chance they will be used much in conjunction with my SL module.

Also, both types were rated 6, a little colder than spot on the set bias of my power-amp. Even so they're in the range of Mesas hottest ratings.

I started this thread ...

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1627

I really like my new Tung Sol 5881. They are the bomba. Excellent 6L6 spank and superb EL34 thronk.

Joey, I'll have to try a pair of GT, sounds like you dig 'em.

3 Mile Stone said:
Joey, I'll have to try a pair of GT, sounds like you dig 'em.
In deed I do, 3MS - much obliged. Haven't actually had much time to play them through yet, but with them in there somehow playing got so much funnier.

I've never tried many types of valves and never got close to any NOS ones, but if these are anything to go by NOS will have to be something out of the ordinary.

In fairness of this subject I should add the 6L6CHP is something of an RCA Black Plate clone, which in real terms mean 6L6GC standards with a late '50s kind of design.

I replaced my stock JJ E34L's with the Tung-Sol 5881's. Love the low end but lost some crunch. I ended up buying GT 12Xa7-R pre amp tubes for input and loops. GT ECC83S tubes for my SL+ pre amp. now is is a smoking tone!
I bought a used Ultra pre amp and it had two different types of tubes. Elector homonix and Sovtek re amp tubes. Can anyone tell me what they come with from the factory?
thanks

Gents, I have 4 Tung-Sol 5881 tubes for sale,with about an hour of use on them. I bought them from BnB tubes off ebay brand new just recently. your welcome to check it out. my ebay user name is markg1savage. I loved them but I feel I lost too much gain. Lots of low and mid range. I ended up re tubing all my Pre amp tubes and with the E34L's, it sounds great.

khingpynn said:
Great are'nt they!

Khing
They're killer and look very authentic with their black plates and the kind of open architecture compared to ordinary Chinese valves.

Now, I have had both the CHPs and the 5881-C A/B:ed and I must say both are great and sound rather alike, still they do differ a bit. Both might have the same horse-powers, but the CHPs obviously sport more torque.

I will do a more extesive A/B testing on these once Bruce has sent me a new transformer for my pre-amp. I know... this is the second transformer fried in my M4.

Check out www.dougstubes.com
He's AWESOME to deal with.
Call or write him and tell him what you're putting them in and what kind of characteristics you want and he'll recommend something great for you.

I just retubed my VHT 2/90/2 based on his suggestions and it's never sounded better!

3 Mile Stone wrote:
Are the GT "true" 5881 ?

joey_truelove wrote:

No. On the market today only the Tungsol 5881 is a true 5881 - and few modern amps are compatible with these 23W oldtimers.

The GT 5881-C(for China) is basically a short bulb holding the intestins of a Chinese 6L6GC and lacks any getter from what I can see.

As a point of interest there are very few true 6L6 tubes on the market aswell. The origional 6L6 is not compatable with what is commonly called a 6L6 today.
I have a set of vintage RCA metal jacket 6L6 tubes from the late 50's... another beast altogether.

Khing

3 Mile Stone Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:24 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting Khing,

How do the old 6L6 compare sonically to the new ones?

I wish I new... I do not have any gear that is compatible with the origional 6L6. From what I can gather on the interenet the origional 6L6 was metal jacketed and used for military applications early on. I pulled mine out of a General Electric Frequency Generator... a decomissioned Military item that was scraped for parts. I aksed a few internet tube stores about them and found out that they are not compatable with todays 6L6 standards.

Khing