Brahma & Super V reviews audio/vid clip added

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamner1

Reaction score
Super V:
I'm not one for a bright/jangly tone and this module has it. It is very difficult to reduce/eliminate the jangle from this module. My suggestion is to keep the bright switch off and the Treble below noon.
This module also breaks up pretty early. I kind of thought I would be able to get the gain to about noon before breaking up... not a chance even with a 12AU7 in V1 it wants to distort. Also the more gain you use the more pronounced the brightness/jangle becomes. This may be able to be remedied with the Presence & Density controls on the RT250 or RM100/50. With single coils and this module you could get some pretty nice 50s/early 60s style rock n roll tones or maybe even country out of it. Also it did not take a boost very well, at least not the EH LPB-1. I think I will keep experimenting. The below settings were not bad for a clean tone that was not too overly bright or jangly.
Tubes: GT 12AU7 (V1), JJ ECC83S (V2).
Gain: 9:15, Bright off, Bass 3:00, Mids 2:00, Treble 10:00, Level dimed (this was needed to keep up with the volume of the GTO & SL+ at 12:00).

Brahma:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyfVlMa-GC4 - added a video
To answer a previous thread with the following heading; "New & Improved repackaged Brahma"
Yes and no.
1.) Brahma cleans up better/really well. The Judge gets thin when below noon.
2.) Judge has more gain but otherwise pretty similar EQ in mode 1 to the Brahma.
I wanted to try the Brahma primarily for a clean to slight break up and it is delivering on that front. It is a little bright but not nearly as much as the Super V. Using the boost to get it from clean to a slight break up is awesome. The clean is full and not brittle. I like this more than the TWeed or Plexi for the same purpose. Those 2 mods had too much bass & sounded boomy. I couldn't dial them in like the Brahma.

When set to higher gain the Brahma & GTO have about the same EQ tone. In fact I had the EQs set the same for my comparison. GTO definately more Gain. Brahma dimed was still less gain than the GTO at 3:00. But the Brahma dimed with the boost on yielded some great rodded Marshall tone. Brahma + boost = close to the SL+ in gain but not as compressed and not as dark.

Current settings for a clean tone for the Brahma:
Tubes: Tung Sol 12AX7s in both V1 & V2
Gain 10:30, Bright off, Bass 3:30, Mids 10:00, Treble 12:00, Level 2:00

I may experiment with some different tubes EH or JJ but that would just be in an attempt to get rid of some more of the brightness without introducing mud or "fuzz".

Also I really dig the white faceplate. Not sure about the white/cream chicken heads. I have some black ones I will try out. But I think Chrome knobs may be the final look. We'll see. To bad we don't have a module generator like they do over on the JCF for J/C guitars. 8)

Super V, Brahma and GTO. I like all three of these modules and wouldn't consider selling any. They all do something different for me and are all required for the tones I like to use. Super V isn't too jangly for me, It's really just what I was after. But I don't run my presence above 2:30ish unless required for recording.

I had the same complaints about the Brahma and Super V as well.. I got them modded by jaded Faith and Sacred Groove and they are amazing mods now

I'm sure my Brahma and Super V could be improved with some modding. Just costs a bit to post them to US from Aus. Your postage to here is much cheaper.

On the SuperV,
I really love the sound of this module..but I confess I like the more trebly sounds. I dig CRUNCH! Having said that...
It's great when your playing by yourself..but it doesn't seem to stick in a mix all that well. The top boost is similar to the SuperV but does record better,imho.
I think it's an aquired taste and can see why its not a popular module. But if ya like sounds a little eccentric..lots of treble bite on tap..the SuperV does that well.
GtrGeorge

I have two Friedman modded brahma's. One has no extra switches and the other has a C45 and a gain switch.

I can get both to sounds really very close. They are a real improvment over the stock module. It just sounds fuller and less shrill.

Have a Brahma coming soon (with a creme palomino RM20 :D ) Also have an RM100, does the Brahma have enough gain to serve as an 80's metal rythym channel or does it need a boost?

rblyn said:
Have a Brahma coming soon (with a creme palomino RM20 :D ) Also have an RM100, does the Brahma have enough gain to serve as an 80's metal rythym channel or does it need a boost?

The Brahma needs boost, but then again I run a boost on every module I own. I played it with maxed out gain and boost on my metal demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWja3FkU7rc&sns=em

As far as the superV it's my go to module for an SRV tone. It breaks up just how it should for a Stevie tone.

BRahma probably more for late 70's maybe very early 80's hard rock/metal. After that you are going to need to boost it to get into that rodded Marshall of the mid to late 80s era.

Hamner1 said:
BRahma probably more for late 70's maybe very early 80's hard rock/metal. After that you are going to need to boost it to get into that rodded Marshall of the mid to late 80s era.

That is a pretty accurate description. I have a JF Brahma and when I have the gain boost off, it is pretty much stock and sounds just like your take on it.

Tried the Brahma with the LPB1 boost. I really dug this tone. It reminded me of what mode 2 of the GTO should have been, heavy rodded Marshall goodness. Since I am using the Brahma for a clean, when the time comes the GTO will get mode 2 tweaked to imitate this tone (without having to use the boost).

FYI: I had the gain on the Brahma at 2 o'clock & the level on the LPB1 dimed.