Silver to gold trim RS212LB Lynch 2x12 coversion

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
About 2 years ago or so some of the major online retailers like Musicians Friend started advertising the RS212LB, 2 x 12 ported Lynch cab in green gator and gold trim. For most of a year it was advertised but there was never a picture of it posted. It turns out that the Lynch line was going to have a "make-over" with some comments on this forum stating that Randall was also supposedly having probelms getting a steady supply of the green gator tolex. When I heard that, last summer I put in an order for the cab while I still had a chance to get it. When it showed up at the store, it had silver piping, silver skull on black tolex, silver/black grill cloth w/ green gator on the sides and back. The Randall rep and the person handling the shipping at Randall said there were two model numbers listed in their system and that it was a shipping mistake and that I could send to back and swap it for the gold trimmed version. After some additional confusion, it was determined that the gold trimmed version was never produced before it was decided to discontinue it in that scheme and so it was unavailable. I then set out to convert it to gold trim to match the 100 watt head.

I had already aquired some green tolex that I had put away. I had a local guy replace the black tolex on the front with the green gator and he also repainted the skull gold. He also replaced the black and silver grill cloth with gold on black grill cloth. I also bought some gold piping from mojotone which is the exact same stuff that Randall uses and swapped out the piping.

I didn't take a before photo but there are still some stock photos on the internet (mainly from overseas sellers). Here is what it looked like before the coversion in the sliver trim. Note the black tolex on the front:

randall-rs-212-lbSilver.jpg

Here is what my rig looks like now:
LB07.jpg

The guy that repainted the formerly silver skull to gold used some type of clear coat first to make the brown and yellow mixed tint stick to it. It looks really good except it's a somewhat darker gold then the Randall logo on the amp. To me, the difference seems more pronouced in the photos that it does in person. I should have let the guy have my Randall logo to match the paint. Overall though, I'm pretty happy with it.
LB05.jpg

Modules are Deluxe, Voodoo Judge, Voodoo Scary (with signature knobs replaced with chicken heads)

LB06.jpg

Looking at this photo, to my eyes anyway, the color of the amp and cab logos appear to match:
LB04.jpg

You can see the port along the rear, bottom. I also installed a set of Beam Blockers on the front of my speakers so I put a Beam Blockers sticker on the upper right corner of the rear of the cab. http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html
LB03.jpg

LB02.jpg

This cab sounds MASSIVE!!!

Nice work on the cab. I have to say even if all you would have done was had the triangle black tolex replaced with the gator it would have been a 100% improvement. Having the rest done makes it spot on perfect and goes with the head much better.

Hamner1 said:
Nice work on the cab. I have to say even if all you would have done was had the triangle black tolex replaced with the gator it would have been a 100% improvement. Having the rest done makes it spot on perfect and goes with the head much better.

Thanks. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The cab sounds great too--very nice and full.

m0jo said:
I just noticed something ... this cab has a stealth-port!
That sneaky lynch! :lol:

Yes, and it does help fill out the bottom end more and make the cab sound "bigger" or fuller.

I could not determine the source for the grill cloth that had been used for the Lynch 4 x12 and most sellers on the web had nothing like it. I think the closest I could find was through Acoustical Solutions. Two different cloths they have I thought were good replacements for the sliver on black cloth that came with the cab. I ended up going with the P3000 cloth but the P8000 probably would have looked good also. I got samples in the mail first. I thought the samples looked a little different, actually better, in person then on the pics on the web. http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/acoustone-amplifier-cloth-color-chart the link just shows the P series stuff. They also have a variety of other cloths available. The website says you have to buy a five yard minimum but that is only if you order over the phone. If you use the website, it will let you pick just 1 yard.

The piping I got from Mojotone. Same exact stuff that is on the head. All of the piping is the kind with the lip. For all of the area around the grill, you have to staple it in place, including around the triangle area which disassembles from the inside. For the area around the outside center, you just pull out the old piping and shove in the new. There is a slit cut in the wood all the way around that the lip tucks into and the width is just snug enough to hold in the piping. Nothing really all that complicated about it. The slit is like close to a half inch deep which makes me wonder if it could crack all the way through. Hopefully not. Anyway, I swapped out the piping on a Saturday afternoon. There is both a large and medium size. I?m pretty sure it was the medium. There is also another gold piping called ?special? which is a different style?that is not the right stuff. http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Piping/Medium-Gold-Piping-7-16H-x-1-8-Bead-with-Lip.html

Kapo_Polenton said:
Does that cab have the SuperV speakers in it? I have two in my 4 x 12. I love em.

No, Lynch had quit endorsing the SuperV when this was released and they were putting Greenbacks in his cabs. I bought the cab without speakers for a discounted price and slapped in a pair of Celestion Century Vintages.

Latest posts