Randall Titan - video clip of my riffing and tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wookieslayer

Reaction score
Still not the best quality but what the heck, check out the tone of my Titan thru my webcam. Skip to halfway thru the vid for better warmed up playing

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwrA5y1ZC9A

Judging by your T2 video. I guess by comparison, the T2 is good for modern metal tones, and the Titan is good for an old school, thrashy tone... (Even though the tone that really comes to mind is Scott's tone from the Vol. 8 album, which is more nu-metalish :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csa-6Qea1_w

Either way, I love the sound of the Titan and I really would love to get one myself for a budget gigging amp. :D

Hey man thanks for watching. yah you could definitely say that. The Titan def does thrash very well, and probably modern metal with a boost. I don't think a boost is needed though, because at loud volumes the Titan held its own against my band's V2 at practice with enough gain 8) Not to mention the green channel on the T2 does thrash (but that thing is a diff beast)

Edit: (actually the T2 green channel reminds me of a darker more saturated Titan)

I can't wait til I can record some proper mixes with these amps :twisted:

Thanks for the cool Anthrax song, never listened to that one

Wookieslayer said:
Hey man thanks for watching. yah you could definitely say that. The Titan def does thrash very well, and probably modern metal with a boost. I don't think a boost is needed though, because at loud volumes the Titan held its own against my band's V2 at practice with enough gain 8) Not to mention the green channel on the T2 does thrash (but that thing is a diff beast)

Edit: (actually the T2 green channel reminds me of a darker more saturated Titan)

I can't wait til I can record some proper mixes with these amps :twisted:

Thanks for the cool Anthrax song, never listened to that one

For the stuff I play (Old school thrash/death/prog), the Vmax has enough gain for me. Although when I think of a death tone, i think of a pretty saturated, dark tone ala Death's first few albums. But still, the Vmax, Cyclone, Titan, and so on amps are some of the best budget solid state amps out there, IMO. I keep hearing the Peavey Ultra XXL is awesome too, but from what I heard on videos, it just sounds like a tinny, trebly, fizzy mess...

And I don't really mind that song. The Bush era of Anthrax had decent songs, but nothing beats the Belladona/Turbin albums. 8)
Although I really like Sound of White Niose... :oops:

Definetly man. I actually tried out a Peavey XXL in guitar center before buying the titan. It was cool and had a lot of gain on tap with its three modes or channels but the titan just sounded better. I liked the rawness of the tone and even the clean channel sounded sweeter. I was worried it didnt have enough gain for modern metal but then I took the amp to their sound room and plugged into a Mesa 2x12 and cranked that beast to 4. Holy **** I had a grin on my face. It was clear and punchy with plenty of dynamics and pinch harmonics jumped out. I mean not to mention, its 300w vs the peaveys 100... lol.

I would like to try out the XXL again at stage volume but the choice was easy that day. :D

Wookieslayer said:
Definetly man. I actually tried out a Peavey XXL in guitar center before buying the titan. It was cool and had a lot of gain on tap with its three modes or channels but the titan just sounded better. I liked the rawness of the tone and even the clean channel sounded sweeter. I was worried it didnt have enough gain for modern metal but then I took the amp to their sound room and plugged into a Mesa 2x12 and cranked that beast to 4. Holy s*&t I had a grin on my face. It was clear and punchy with plenty of dynamics and pinch harmonics jumped out. I mean not to mention, its 300w vs the peaveys 100... lol.

I would like to try out the XXL again at stage volume but the choice was easy that day. :D

Well, thats true about the wattage. And my 150W Ibby head doesn't really sound that loud cranked, probably because its a 16OHM load, though. =P

Also, have you ever tried the other Pre-XL2 series heads? Like the RH200s, Vmax, and Cyclone?

I've never tried the Vmax or a Cyclone but I imagine they're similar to the Titan with more tonal options.

I have played an RH200 pretty extensively. Actually I just sold mine last week for 200 bucks. It has probably the best SS clean channel I've ever owned. Very warm and full, especially with the "clean boost" function, which to me adds some compression and sustain. It has an Overdrive channel with 2 different Gains, both with plenty of thumping bass on tap. Gain 1 is pretty standard Randall SS, sounds good, then Gain 2 is of course more gain and compression and lets you use the Contour knob. It's a great head for rock / metal but definitely noisy in the Gain 2 channel or when playing at loud volumes. A noise gate helps a lot! (ISP decimator ftw)

When I first got my Titan I had the chance to jam with my friends and the other guitarist was using the RH200 with the matching stack. Something went wrong that day with his cab and the sound disappeared after we kept smelling a burning smell... Before his cab crapped out though, the Titan had more note definition and clarity... not to say the Rh200 is bad, because it's quite a good SS head. I wouldn't mind picking another one up if the price is right down the line. It probably had a lot to do with his cab that day, because I think he had been playing it thru the stereo inputs on his cab (I was like you gotta be kidding me /facepalm).

I would say the Titan is a better head, bit more dynamic and clear (300w vs 200) but the RH200 definitely has more gain on tap and a really sweet clean channel. There is an Rh250 out there as well, so I wonder how much better it is to the 200. Don't get me wrong the 200 is loud and mean, just more solid state / not as warm sounding haha :lol:

Aaah, I see now... Well, gain isn;t really a problem with me, Like I said. I use more of a medium-high gain sound. :lol:

But I'll keep a look out for any Randall amp. Might sell my Ibby TBX150H (which would be pretty hard, just finished doing some LED/Light mods on it :oops: ) for a couple of hundred and look out for some of the old Randalls or the "newer" V2, T2, or RH300 heads for cheap. :D

Yeah man definitely keep an eye out. Check your craigslist, musicgoround.com, and used.guitarcenter.com usually has good deals.

the Rh200 can def do medium gain, not just the brootz lol. Gain 1 is great for that thrash sound... metallica, sepultura, iced earth etc. scoop or pushed mid heaviness! But if you can find a T2/V2... :twisted:

Wookieslayer said:
Yeah man definitely keep an eye out. Check your craigslist, musicgoround.com, and used.guitarcenter.com usually has good deals.

the Rh200 can def do medium gain, not just the brootz lol. Gain 1 is great for that thrash sound... metallica, sepultura, iced earth etc. scoop or pushed mid heaviness! But if you can find a T2/V2... :twisted:

I've always been checking Used.guitarcenter and Musicgororund (even though their shipping makes me wanna punch a baby :evil: ) and maybe eBay, which is where I found an RG80ES before I sold it.

But I will keep a look out, I've seen T2's go as low as $500, so I hope I can get lucky again! :)

Wookieslayer said:
Few months back I saw a T2HH go for 280ish plus 30 shipping on evilbay... I had no extra cash at the time but I almost shat a brick lol! :p

I just groaned out loud... I HAD THE MONEY AT THE TIME!!!! :cry:

Oh well... I'm still keeping an eye out at some stuff. Might also consider the RH300 too, but I hear its very bassy. :?

Wookieslayer said:
just wait for the T2 / V2 man, it will be worth it!!

I'm (suprisingly) more biased towards the Titan/Vmax... The T2/V2 just sounds a little too smooth for my taste...

I'm being confusing, I know. Its just the more I hear your Titan demo, the more I want it! :lol:

Although this video is also convincing me towards the T2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJwRjg8In0

ARRGH SO MUCH TEMPTATION!!!! :evil:

Watched the vid with my laptop so crappy speakers, but it sounded like the Titan can pull off some nastiness for sure. :twisted:

Dudes you guys are correct. The Titan definitely sounds angry; it has this roar in the mids with rawness. Mean and dry with enough saturation for most metal. I've yet to try boosting it with anything but when I do I'll make another video.

Also since that last video I sold my B-52 cab and got the Randall XL 400w cab with the V2. The T2 and V2 sound huge through it so I'm stoked to try the Titan through it :evil:

Thanks for the kind words guys. Really appreciate it. I plan on recording an some songs with some of these heads, through cabinet impulses first and later when I buy a mic. Gotta work on my chops tho :p

Here's some amp pr0n

tightmetalrandall.jpg

art.jpg

LOL too many watts?

DSCN8127.jpg

Sorry for the revival, but since its my own thread, it should be alright... right? :oops:

But yeah, I've decided I'm getting the V2 or T2 if I can get a good deal. :)

BUT, I've gotten bitten by the old RG bug again, and I'm looking at the pre-XP RG100ES or Century 200's (after some research, i've heard the XP series were not as good sounding as the original RG-ES's or Centuries. I'm hoping they don't sound like the over-fizzy mess my RG80XP sounded like :( ).

Still unsure though... But I have narrowed it down to these two (Well... 3) heads, though. :?:

EDIT: Ah the hell with it, I have a better chance of finding a RG100ES for under $250 then I do a T2 for under $500. :lol: I'll just get the T2 now and then the RG later. :p