How do you guys feel about module rental???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
It came up in the classifieds and is a great idea I think....I don't have near the cash to get them all....But how would you guys feel about a rental period of 14 days (upon receipt of module 'til it comes home)....What would be a fair rate??? You guys tell me....

I think it's a good idea and I'll seriously consider this as a potential cool thing....However, there is the case of the user...How do I ensure people not stealing mods? I don't want to charge the whole thing upfront and most can't pay that anyway.....Suggestions?

It'd be tough to decide a decent rate since you have to consider nearly $20 in shipping total to get and send back on top of it.

There's definitely some modules out there I'm dying to try. It might be better to do a module swap for 14 days. Trying to trust is the big issue, I know it's not an issue with vets (and I think I'm the oldest active member, #49) but the issue would come up with people who aren't as active or have not done alot of transactions on here.

Maybe make a thread with people willing to rent or swap modules and which ones and people can pm those people instead of responding in thread.

Keep in mind the risk incurred while shipping...it would be costly to have a module built in CZ get damaged by frequent ships

I'll move my previous post over to here...

drewiv said:
Mattfig said:
iekobrid said:
Mattfig said:
the Rack of Delight feels incomplete although full....Might have to squeeze a few more new ones in and sell off a few I love but just don't use....

Instead of selling them off, rent them out! Modflix? Netfig?

That's a cool idea.....Inventory would cost a fortune....Unless a few of us did it together Drew, Ray???? JKD? Brewtus? Bueller?

The inventory DOES cost a fortune. LOL If I listed the modules I have, you probably wouldn't believe me.

It is a cool idea. Shipping/insurance would be cause for a little concern. It would cost about $25 to ship it to and from with proper insurance. Pots do break during shipping and there would also be concern for abuse during the rental period. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but I've gotten some Netflix movies that look like they went through a cheap paper shredder.

Also, would the cost to rent be worth it? What would people be willing to pay as a rental fee? How long would a realistic rental be? I'd be up for it just to fund more gear purchases, as I generally only have 8 to 11 modules loaded in various rigs at a time.

Thoughts?

All good points...Shipping/Insurance is the killer in the deal...Plus, there's the issue of possible theft...When modules bounce around, eventually they will fall into the wrong hands...

Well, that's it then...Hook me up with a round trip plane ticket for myself and the Rack of Delight and I'll give you a personal tour... :lol:

Thats right! :D Why pay a few hundred bucks for rental of one module? Just buy the Figster a plane ticket for the same price and he will arrive equipt with many a modded modules and put on a show!!! :idea: :idea: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Disciple said:
It'd be tough to decide a decent rate since you have to consider nearly $20 in shipping total to get and send back on top of it.

There's definitely some modules out there I'm dying to try. It might be better to do a module swap for 14 days. Trying to trust is the big issue, I know it's not an issue with vets (and I think I'm the oldest active member, #49) but the issue would come up with people who aren't as active or have not done alot of transactions on here.

Maybe make a thread with people willing to rent or swap modules and which ones and people can pm those people instead of responding in thread.

+1 on the module swap idea. I had thought about this seriously when Daryl, Fig and I were flipping modules back and forth at an insane rate. There's a core group here that I would have no problem sending one of my modules to, as long as there was no eminent use for it.

I would welcome renting modules. I think amonth at a time might be the only practical time period to consider.
Pricing?? I havent a clue.
But tell me what you work out.
GtrGeorge

OK guys we seriously have to do this.
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyPgBzqKlUs
It's the Kemper Profiling Amp.
We could get one of these suckers, rent out our mods, rent mods and have every single amp that we could dream of. I don't know if you can share the algorithms, but you probably can. If that were the case, we could simply share the algorithms, for a nominal fee, and have all of the amp sounds that we can eat. The modders would still be doing business. We would just be able to use those tones in the Kemper. What do you think?

what do I think?
I watched the vids..which seem painfully edited...to maximize confusion/mysticism.. anyhow....
the technology seems to have arrived but wether its 100% is impossible to tell. We have been lied to for so long about "modeling", and the ability of certain gear to sound like other gear....Iwould have to hear it it in my own hands for a few hours in order to shell out a few grand.
thats my opinion.
GtrGeorge

I won't be getting rid of my RM100 rig anytime soon.
This technology is very similar to how they get IRs.
It is intriguing to say the least.
I would like to see it in a single rack space with no effects.
IMO Less is more with this idea.
If it is as good as in the videos in person, I need to try one.

Disciple said:
Daryl said:
We would just be able to use those tones in the Kemper. What do you think?

I'll stick with my Randall setup :)

Ditto. Besides, it's ugly with a capital UG. They must have sunk a ton of money into the RD for technology but zero cash for a stylish design.

OK, OK.. I'll consider my Pee-pee slapped.
Don't get me wrong, guys.
I'm not going to get rid of my RM100 or mods.
The Kemper is pretty new to the scene and it does look ugly as hell.
It's like IRs and they are the next wave of techno goodness.
Can't a brother cop a tone?
:D :D :D

It looks like something in the doctor's office that's connected
to things you would rather not have stuck anywhere.

For as far as I can deduce the Kemper amp is just a convolution engine with gain and an EQ ;) It seems like it gets the voicing from the amp that's "profiled" and then uses that in conjunction with a transparent gain and and added EQ. (which they say doesn't function like the original eq .. logical because that isn't captured at all).

So ... nice try but no banana.

Now if they coupled that design with a reconfigurable tube preamp and poweramp stage on either side (like Mesa/H&K and some others have developed) .. it would be the be-all and end-all of modelers. One issue: you'd have half a cubic metre of circuitry trying to emulate a relatively very simple analog circuit ... I can't believe it will ever be as responsive or will have the same electrical interaction with the guitar and speakers.

I remember suggesting this back when I was in the MTS stuff! I hope this catches on; I really think it's a great idea.

The guy I bought my ISP Decimator owns www.guitaraffair.com and I mentioned this idea to him. He said he would check into. I figured since he already has the foundation set for the main principle in theory, he would be able to put it into practice.

http://www.guitaraffair.com/