So it rained on ALL our gear.....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGeorge!

Reaction score
You know the deal...
outdoor gig went very well...lots of people and then with 30mins left to play the downpour..UGH!!!!
what do you do with wet amps,pa etc etc??????????

Why re-invent the wheel?..if you know a good way to help..please make a suggestion.
GtrGeorge

Power them down immediately and let them dry un-aided. Water on circuits isn't bad as long as there is no electricity flowing through them. Once dried take them apart as best you can and wipe with a wet towel to remove any of the dirt and debris that the rain may have brought it. Just like a good cleaning for dust. Allow to dry and power up. If it functions properly then no harm was done by the wet.

To be frank there is probably little chance that a good rain would hurt them anyway. You really have to submerge most modern electronics in a tub to get them to fry.

Peace, Joshua

I know this sounds crazy but pack what you can in rice...The outdoor gig rain thing has happened several times to me over the years...As has been said, immediately power down, dry off what you can....And, whatever you do, don't try a two second power up to "check" if it's working...That's the common endgame...

Good luck!!!

I stick all the "wet" gear in the smallest room in my house with a dehumidifier. I leave it there for a week before I even go back to them (except daily to empty the bucket on the deumidifier). Then I follow the disassemble and wipe clean method. Reassemble and leave in the room for another few days. Plug, pray, power up.

I am intrigued by the "rice" method.

Good luck, man.

I can attest the rice method helps to suck that moisture out. Have had a few electronics get submerged in water for a bit (23 month daughter lol) and the rice method has saved them all :)

Thank you all for the advice..I really REALLY appreciate it.
We cut power as soon as the rain hit..so probably no more than 3 oz got into or on anything. But still it only takes a drop,right?
So I left everything in the van overnight..and next day I put everything in the bright sun. Even in a high humidity day (outside) the rays dried moisture off the cables that REALLY got drenched.
Then a few hrs later everything went into the basement which has a good dehumidifier..now its gonna be there for a week before I open up or power up anything..and oh yeah I will pray. I dont have backups for this stuff.
I will let you know how it all turns out.
Thank you again
GtrGeorge

tomorrow will be one week later..I think I will hook everything up and put it thru its paces. Its been dried wih pape towels, the sun and in a dehumidifier for a week. Prayers have been said...
GtrGeorge

Tomorrow will be one week since the Rain-gig. Its been a week in a dehumidified basement..and that was after the paper towels, the sun-drying and all the prayers.
I will hook everything up tomorrow and put it thru its paces.
I hope everything is ok.
You can see a short vid of the gig at my facebook account
Facebook:Holidayroad Long Islands favorite cover band

-GtrGeorge

I hope everything turns out OK.
You got some sweet gear.
I got my fingers crossed.
:wink:

It's been over a week George. What's the word...
Got my fingers crossed...
:shock: :shock: :shock:

EVERTHING WORKS!!!!!!!!

As you know..I was very worried. Even though we grabbed everything as fast as we could..rain got in and on everything..in small amounts..but yeah it was everywhere.
I got everything home and let it sit unloaded overnoght. I never do that,usually.
next I opened everything up and let it sit in the sun for 2 hrs on a hot day. I turned things to maximize the drying. Not much wind,but i figured anything would help. Next I put everything in a basement with a dehumidifier. For one week I ran it full blast and maintained the room at 30 percent humidity (air humidity)...acc to a meter I own. (Everybody should get one if ya love your guitars!)
Anyway...everything works and that's how I dealt with it. I hope my "process" can help somebody else,.,that's why I post.
Thanbks for your input to everybody. I am grateful to the guy upstairs, and that I didnt have any gigs for a week..so I COULD work on the water-problem.
Peace to all..
GtrGeorge

Whew!!
Good news!!
I'm glad that it turned out well.
Keep rocking, Greorge.
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

Yeah,all seems well...
the only thing that worries me at all is a vocal processor that sat on the floor...every now and then it tracks a vocal poorly..but that could be heat related...It acted up on a gig where it was 88 degrees in direct sun (this sat that just passed)....so maybe that was due to heat issues.
fwiw: I do try to turn things off on the breaks.
so overall..fine.