Boss GT-8 and Randall RM 100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasing shadows

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has tried this combination. I Finally found my tone with the RM100 and now i am looking for effects to go with it. I am thinking the Gt-8 because it is everything i need in one unit. I know that TC Eledtronic G- system is probley better, i cant see spending 1500.00 on effect processor if a 400.00 will do the same job.

Hi - I use a GT8 with my RM4/Boogie 2020 setup. It is great, but you have to use the 4 cable method (4CM) to get the best configuration.

4CM - gutiar to GT8, then GT8 loop send to amp, then amp series effect to GT8 loop return, then GT8 out back to amp series return.

This way you use the GT8 to do stomp box type stuff, then run to the randall for the actual amp tone/distortions, then time based stuff after that (verb, delays, etc). I have the preamp of the GT8 off, and of course, each preset can move around where the loop is, so if you want the chorus before the preamp, just put it there. I typically have the volume after the loop so I can keep the preamp getting the same level and adjust the pedal for tweaking on-stage volume. I added an external pedal so the on-board one is used for wah's only.

Just play with the loop send/return volume settings by plugging in and out of the amp so that you can keep the levels the same at all points regardless of the GT8 being in line. Also, play with the output type to make it to your liking. I use the JC120 input setting after experimenting a lot.

I have a Lexicon MPX-G2 and it is great, but way too much for a cover band - I hate having such an expensive piece with me in a club. I really want stomp boxes but they are expensive as you add pieces for flanger, phaser, digital delay, digital reverb, etc... and then you have to adjust the little knobs rather than recall - so the GT8 is nice.

There is a forum over at http://bossgtcentral.com/ where you can read how people like the GT8.

thanks for the input. i too play in a cover band . Did you notice any tone loss in you sound or was the gt-8 tranparant using the 4 cable method.. Do yuou ever use any of the distortions on the gt-8.

I've used both the GT6 and GT8 in the four-cable method along with an RM4, RM100C, and even a RM20B.

My $0.02... Personally, I think the GT8 offers a lot of effects and control for the money and is extremely easy to use. However, I also thought it caused a considerable amount of tone-suck when used in front of the amp. Or, as said by the other guitar player in my band, "Where did your dynamics go?" I dunno... once I got used to plugging the guitar straight into the front of a tube amp, I have a hard time with anything that messes with my tone and/or dynamics. After about 3 weeks, I sent the GT8 back for a refund. And believe me, I really wanted to make it work, since it would have been extremely convenient to have an integrated FX box/MIDI controller with the MTS amps, but it so negatively impacted the tone/feel of the amp that I didn't even want to hold onto it as a backup unit.

That said, I also have the previously mentioned Lexicon G2/R1 pair. From an effects quality and transparency standpoint, it is significantly better than the GT8, at the tradeoff of being more expensive and harder to program. But, using a similar 4-cable method, does allow you to put some effects in front of the amp (wah, od, compressor) and some in the FX loop (delay, reverb, etc). As far as I know, the GT's and G2 are the only FX units that allow this sort of versatility. I tried it with a Digitech 2101 once (since it has an FX loop/insert between the preamp and FX section), but it sucked even more tone/feel than the Boss GT's.

YMMV, but that's my experience. Given the tone of the GT8 and the complexity of the Lexicon G2, I've decided I'm best served by a couple of pedals in front of the amp and a TC G-Major in the FX loop.

--B

B, just asking... are you using any effects boxes, or do you just plug straight into the amp all the time? I would think that any kind of box (stomp or other) would dimish the tone somewhat compared to plugging right in. If you don't need anything then keep the dynamics of the amp and use the GT8 in the effects loop for delays, chorus, etc - it really depends on your performance needs.

In the cover band I need a wah and a few different distortion settings - so I have no choice and need to plug something in front of the amp. I didn't notice a big change in dynamics, but like I said, I mostly use the distortions of the RM4.

On the GT8, make sure the preamp models and built in compressors are OFF. If you need a compressor, use the FX1/2 compressor. I have my modules set like this - blackface clean, SL+ mid overdrive, Recto full distortion. I sometimes use the GT8 distortions to get an edgy clean sound with the blackface, but nothing for the heavy stuff - only the RM4. Most of the time I have the GT8 Overdrive effect after the loop and use it as a lead boost (post RM4) - gain is down, tone adjusted to taste, and output level up.

Either way - you should buy at Guitar Center or someplace with a return policy so you can make your own call after playing with it - if everyone agreed there would only be one type of everything. :lol:

drunton said:
B, just asking... are you using any effects boxes, or do you just plug straight into the amp all the time? I would think that any kind of box (stomp or other) would dimish the tone somewhat compared to plugging right in. If you don't need anything then keep the dynamics of the amp and use the GT8 in the effects loop for delays, chorus, etc - it really depends on your performance needs.

Typically I use 1 or 2 wahs, a Sparkle Drive, and a Carl Martin compressor in front of my amp and notice minimal impact on my dynamics compared to when I used the GT8, even with all of the "pre" FX (modeler, compressor, OD) bypassed. I was hoping to use the GT8 to replace those pedals, handle the "post" FX through the amp's FX loop, and serve as a MIDI controller. So since I didn't like the way the GT8 sounded in front of the amp, I felt better served by going back to the pedals along with a G-Major.

--B

actually i am trying a TC Electronics G System right now. So far it sounds amazing!!! My tone is still the same and for some reason I am able to turn the volume up more on my rm100. I am gigging with it this friday and i will let you guys know how it cuts with a live band situation

B, do you use a wireless?

Maybe I don't notice the difference because my wireless is already changing the guitar/amp interface?

It's hard to say, I've been using wireless systems since '88, so its fair to say I can't tell the difference anymore...

Dave

I use a Rocktron Xpression with my RM50B specifically because it doesn't convert the dry signal to analog (if you set it up properly for this.)

drunton said:
B, do you use a wireless? Maybe I don't notice the difference because my wireless is already changing the guitar/amp interface?

Ah, that's a good possibility... I very rarely use a wireless because of its impact on tone/feel, though it may be less of an issue if I didn't buy the cheapest wireless unit on the market. :)

I just noticed that Radial ( http://www.tonebone.com/tb-dragster.htm ) introduced a new "load correction" box that you attach to your strap and connect between the guitar output & wireless transmitter that (theoretically) helps with this issue. With a list of $60, it's cheap enough to be worth trying. Perhaps it would help with the GT8 as well. Hmmm...

--B

Well, the input impedance of the GT8 is 1MegOhm which is about right, so I don't know if it will help with your sound on the GT8. But, I bet most wireless units have a 1k-10k input resistance which does load down the guitar.

For $60, it's a no-brainer - now to just find someplace that has one.

I actually first noticed 'em on e-bay... I was searching for buffers (VHT Valvulator, Axess BS2, etc) and the Radial box popped up in my search results. Still haven't seen them through any online retailers yet, and information on the Radial website is pretty slim, but perhaps some more will pop up on e-bay.

--B

BTW, here's a link to a more detailed product spect sheet:
http://www.tonebone.com/smartsheet-dragster.pdf

These are now selling for $50 new on e-bay and from major online retailers, so I decided to pick one up... should be here early next week. I wish I still had my GT8 so I could try it in conjunction with the Dragster, but at least I'll be able to see if it makes a difference with either the MPX-G2 or my wireless unit. (I actually had my MPX-G2 up for sale, but all this talk about FX has got me anxious to rig it up again!)

--B

I've got an RM100C. I bought a GT-pro and I found that it colored my sound way too much. I liked the effects better than my Gmajor, but it changed my tone too much. I will say, that as a stand alone preamp it sounded awesome, assuming you set it up correctly. for me it was too much of a dissapointment. I'm still playing with my Gmajor, which I'm not really happy with, but what I want costs a few grand so I'll hold off for a while.. .a long while!

cody

lucidness said:
I've got an RM100C. I bought a GT-pro and I found that it colored my sound way too much. I liked the effects better than my Gmajor, but it changed my tone too much. I will say, that as a stand alone preamp it sounded awesome, assuming you set it up correctly. for me it was too much of a dissapointment. I'm still playing with my Gmajor, which I'm not really happy with, but what I want costs a few grand so I'll hold off for a while.. .a long while!

cody

The Rocktron Xpression is cheap enough to be a good temp solution and it keeps the dry analog if you set it up right.