MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kh-3 and a boost

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Signature Artist MTS Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JeffHenneman
RM100


Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 195

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Kh-3 and a boost Reply with quote

I have been spending a lot of time lately with my kh-3 and different boosts.
I must say that I really like what I hear. This module seems to take boost really well.
My favorite right now is my mxr- gt od pedal. Just a really good high gain tone. I have never really been a boost person but in this last year I have been experimenting with boost alot. So far this combination seems to be the best.
I like that it beefs up the module but yet it still says that dry vht kinda flavor.
_________________
RM100KH with Angel E, Dragon, Salvation SE Mamba.
RM100M SG Diablo, Terrier, 59rr PLATNIUM EDITION
M4 into mesa 2:90 with self moded Ultra and Plexi +, stock kh-1 and eg5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I is be sexy
RM50


Joined: 28 Jun 2010
Posts: 58
Location: VT, USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like running any of my gain modules without a boost, but I agree, it is particularly useful with my modded kh-3. I use a bad monkey, haven't tried any others, though. I haven't had my kh-3 for that long, so I'm still trying to figure out how to get the most out of it... what do you use yours for, and what settings do you use?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eyeball987
Lynch Box


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 1337
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Kh-3 and a boost Reply with quote

JeffHenneman wrote:
My favorite right now is my mxr- gt od pedal.


I bought one of the GC Classic OD's (GT OD and ZW OD all in one box) and I love it. It became my #1 boost pedal as well.

I is be sexy: I set my boosts up the standard way (level up, gain down) and keep the gain on the module at noon. Sometimes I will push it higher than that but the modules I have at the moment have more than enough gain already.

Depending on what I am playing, I keep the boost on almost all of the time and roll the guitar volume down to clean things up a bit.
_________________
RM100 - JF Brahma, JF Mr. Scary, JF D-Zilla.
LP Trad Pro, LP Trad Plus, Charvel SoCal, Charvel San Dimas.
Marshall 1960A with V30's and ET65's.
Marshall 1960B with Greenbacks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lowmantotempole
RM20


Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get youself a Fulltone Fat Boost or Xotic EP Booster. Both of those are great for boosting ANYTHING!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I is be sexy
RM50


Joined: 28 Jun 2010
Posts: 58
Location: VT, USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Kh-3 and a boost Reply with quote

eyeball987 wrote:
I is be sexy: I set my boosts up the standard way (level up, gain down) and keep the gain on the module at noon. Sometimes I will push it higher than that but the modules I have at the moment have more than enough gain already.


Yeah, that's what I'm doing, plus I set my pedal's EQ for bass to 3 or 4 and treble to 5.5 or 6 (by the way, I meant settings for the kh-3 module itself, not the pedal, my bad Laughing )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eyeball987
Lynch Box


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 1337
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Kh-3 and a boost Reply with quote

I is be sexy wrote:
eyeball987 wrote:
I is be sexy: I set my boosts up the standard way (level up, gain down) and keep the gain on the module at noon. Sometimes I will push it higher than that but the modules I have at the moment have more than enough gain already.


Yeah, that's what I'm doing, plus I set my pedal's EQ for bass to 3 or 4 and treble to 5.5 or 6 (by the way, I meant settings for the kh-3 module itself, not the pedal, my bad Laughing )


I tend to set all of my Marshally modules the same way. Bass 11:00, Mids 3:00, Treble noon, gain noon, and then pres and density at 11:30.

I recently switched from keeping my module levels at 9:00 and master on the amp around noon to modules at noon and adjusting the master from there. I have only played it that way once and it was at low volume so I don't know what, if any, difference I will notice.
_________________
RM100 - JF Brahma, JF Mr. Scary, JF D-Zilla.
LP Trad Pro, LP Trad Plus, Charvel SoCal, Charvel San Dimas.
Marshall 1960A with V30's and ET65's.
Marshall 1960B with Greenbacks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I is be sexy
RM50


Joined: 28 Jun 2010
Posts: 58
Location: VT, USA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kh-3 and a boost Reply with quote

eyeball987 wrote:
I tend to set all of my Marshally modules the same way. Bass 11:00, Mids 3:00, Treble noon, gain noon, and then pres and density at 11:30.


Thanks. I might get a chance to play at a decent volume this weekend, so I'll try out those setting and tweak from there (plus this'll be my first chance to really test those 6550s)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eyeball987
Lynch Box


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 1337
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Kh-3 and a boost Reply with quote

I is be sexy wrote:
eyeball987 wrote:
I tend to set all of my Marshally modules the same way. Bass 11:00, Mids 3:00, Treble noon, gain noon, and then pres and density at 11:30.


Thanks. I might get a chance to play at a decent volume this weekend, so I'll try out those setting and tweak from there (plus this'll be my first chance to really test those 6550s)


Depending on the music you are playing, you might be able to get away with a little more gain since you are using 6550's.
_________________
RM100 - JF Brahma, JF Mr. Scary, JF D-Zilla.
LP Trad Pro, LP Trad Plus, Charvel SoCal, Charvel San Dimas.
Marshall 1960A with V30's and ET65's.
Marshall 1960B with Greenbacks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffHenneman
RM100


Joined: 08 May 2008
Posts: 195

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kh-3 and a boost Reply with quote

eyeball987 wrote:
JeffHenneman wrote:
My favorite right now is my mxr- gt od pedal.


I bought one of the GC Classic OD's (GT OD and ZW OD all in one box) and I love it. It became my #1 boost pedal as well.

I is be sexy: I set my boosts up the standard way (level up, gain down) and keep the gain on the module at noon. Sometimes I will push it higher than that but the modules I have at the moment have more than enough gain already.

Depending on what I am playing, I keep the boost on almost all of the time and roll the guitar volume down to clean things up a bit.


I got the same pedal, I put an external switch to change between the gt and zw. I am so impressed with that pedal, I like it better than my maxon
_________________
RM100KH with Angel E, Dragon, Salvation SE Mamba.
RM100M SG Diablo, Terrier, 59rr PLATNIUM EDITION
M4 into mesa 2:90 with self moded Ultra and Plexi +, stock kh-1 and eg5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eyeball987
Lynch Box


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 1337
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kh-3 and a boost Reply with quote

JeffHenneman wrote:
eyeball987 wrote:
JeffHenneman wrote:
My favorite right now is my mxr- gt od pedal.


I bought one of the GC Classic OD's (GT OD and ZW OD all in one box) and I love it. It became my #1 boost pedal as well.

I is be sexy: I set my boosts up the standard way (level up, gain down) and keep the gain on the module at noon. Sometimes I will push it higher than that but the modules I have at the moment have more than enough gain already.

Depending on what I am playing, I keep the boost on almost all of the time and roll the guitar volume down to clean things up a bit.


I got the same pedal, I put an external switch to change between the gt and zw. I am so impressed with that pedal, I like it better than my maxon


It is a great pedal for me. It has become my #1 boost. I keep it in the stock mode.
_________________
RM100 - JF Brahma, JF Mr. Scary, JF D-Zilla.
LP Trad Pro, LP Trad Plus, Charvel SoCal, Charvel San Dimas.
Marshall 1960A with V30's and ET65's.
Marshall 1960B with Greenbacks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danger5oh
RM20


Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kh-3 and a boost Reply with quote

JeffHenneman wrote:
I got the same pedal, I put an external switch to change between the gt and zw. I am so impressed with that pedal, I like it better than my maxon


What kind of switch did you use? I'm currently thinking about doing the same mod with mine (I find a like GT OD for my Mess and the ZW for my Randall). I was thinking about using an on/on switch like one that would be used to coil-split, etc on a guitar, but would there be enough clearance within the case of the MXR ZW?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eyeball987
Lynch Box


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 1337
Location: Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the GC mailer I just received today, MXR released another OD box that seems to be the GC MXR Classic OD's with the switch between the GT OD and Zakk OD on the front along with a bass frequency knob. Just an FYI.

Downside is that it's not $40 but $99.
_________________
RM100 - JF Brahma, JF Mr. Scary, JF D-Zilla.
LP Trad Pro, LP Trad Plus, Charvel SoCal, Charvel San Dimas.
Marshall 1960A with V30's and ET65's.
Marshall 1960B with Greenbacks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kapo_Polenton
Lynch Box


Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 1393

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of price, that seems like a cool pedal with some solid options. I think that is a fair price for 2 pedals in one..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seanh303
RM100


Joined: 07 Jan 2012
Posts: 155

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ordering a KH-3 today (along with KH-1 & KH-2 loaded into the RM100KH Laughing ). I think I'll start out with similar gain settings and then go from there. Don't have an OD yet but I might check out a couple suggested here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kevrock25
RM100


Joined: 10 Apr 2012
Posts: 196

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a ts-9 infront of my kh-3. Does not do near as much for me as it did on my triple recto. The kh3 sound great not boosted IMHO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Signature Artist MTS Models All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group