Kh-3 and a boost

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
I have been spending a lot of time lately with my kh-3 and different boosts.
I must say that I really like what I hear. This module seems to take boost really well.
My favorite right now is my mxr- gt od pedal. Just a really good high gain tone. I have never really been a boost person but in this last year I have been experimenting with boost alot. So far this combination seems to be the best.
I like that it beefs up the module but yet it still says that dry vht kinda flavor.

I don't like running any of my gain modules without a boost, but I agree, it is particularly useful with my modded kh-3. I use a bad monkey, haven't tried any others, though. I haven't had my kh-3 for that long, so I'm still trying to figure out how to get the most out of it... what do you use yours for, and what settings do you use?

JeffHenneman said:
My favorite right now is my mxr- gt od pedal.

I bought one of the GC Classic OD's (GT OD and ZW OD all in one box) and I love it. It became my #1 boost pedal as well.

I is be sexy: I set my boosts up the standard way (level up, gain down) and keep the gain on the module at noon. Sometimes I will push it higher than that but the modules I have at the moment have more than enough gain already.

Depending on what I am playing, I keep the boost on almost all of the time and roll the guitar volume down to clean things up a bit.

eyeball987 said:
I is be sexy: I set my boosts up the standard way (level up, gain down) and keep the gain on the module at noon. Sometimes I will push it higher than that but the modules I have at the moment have more than enough gain already.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, plus I set my pedal's EQ for bass to 3 or 4 and treble to 5.5 or 6 (by the way, I meant settings for the kh-3 module itself, not the pedal, my bad :lol: )

I is be sexy said:
eyeball987 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, plus I set my pedal's EQ for bass to 3 or 4 and treble to 5.5 or 6 (by the way, I meant settings for the kh-3 module itself, not the pedal, my bad :lol: )

I tend to set all of my Marshally modules the same way. Bass 11:00, Mids 3:00, Treble noon, gain noon, and then pres and density at 11:30.

I recently switched from keeping my module levels at 9:00 and master on the amp around noon to modules at noon and adjusting the master from there. I have only played it that way once and it was at low volume so I don't know what, if any, difference I will notice.

eyeball987 said:
I tend to set all of my Marshally modules the same way. Bass 11:00, Mids 3:00, Treble noon, gain noon, and then pres and density at 11:30.

Thanks. I might get a chance to play at a decent volume this weekend, so I'll try out those setting and tweak from there (plus this'll be my first chance to really test those 6550s)

I is be sexy said:
eyeball987 said:

Thanks. I might get a chance to play at a decent volume this weekend, so I'll try out those setting and tweak from there (plus this'll be my first chance to really test those 6550s)

Depending on the music you are playing, you might be able to get away with a little more gain since you are using 6550's.

eyeball987 said:
JeffHenneman said:

I bought one of the GC Classic OD's (GT OD and ZW OD all in one box) and I love it. It became my #1 boost pedal as well.

Depending on what I am playing, I keep the boost on almost all of the time and roll the guitar volume down to clean things up a bit.

I got the same pedal, I put an external switch to change between the gt and zw. I am so impressed with that pedal, I like it better than my maxon

JeffHenneman said:
eyeball987 said:
JeffHenneman said:

I got the same pedal, I put an external switch to change between the gt and zw. I am so impressed with that pedal, I like it better than my maxon

It is a great pedal for me. It has become my #1 boost. I keep it in the stock mode.

JeffHenneman said:

What kind of switch did you use? I'm currently thinking about doing the same mod with mine (I find a like GT OD for my Mess and the ZW for my Randall). I was thinking about using an on/on switch like one that would be used to coil-split, etc on a guitar, but would there be enough clearance within the case of the MXR ZW?

In the GC mailer I just received today, MXR released another OD box that seems to be the GC MXR Classic OD's with the switch between the GT OD and Zakk OD on the front along with a bass frequency knob. Just an FYI.

Downside is that it's not $40 but $99.

Regardless of price, that seems like a cool pedal with some solid options. I think that is a fair price for 2 pedals in one..

I'm ordering a KH-3 today (along with KH-1 & KH-2 loaded into the RM100KH :lol: ). I think I'll start out with similar gain settings and then go from there. Don't have an OD yet but I might check out a couple suggested here.

I use a ts-9 infront of my kh-3. Does not do near as much for me as it did on my triple recto. The kh3 sound great not boosted IMHO.