Mr. Scary compared to a Soldano mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
Guys,

I think it has been well established that the only diff between the SL+ and the Mr. Scary were 2 or 3 components. So that said, how close is the Mr. Scary to a real Soldano or a modded MTS module by one of the modders here? My SL+ has become my AFD module so I don't plan to change that now. 400$ for a module plus shipping though ..... not sure I can justify that one. Yup, unfortunately $ talks.

Disclaimer: and yes, I am aware that a module is way less than a real slo, we've been through that before but that is not what I am asking :wink:

Mr Scary is in the grey area of Marshall/Soldano....I still think it sounds like a thicker SL+ but I can recall preferring SL+ to it....I guess as far as stock mods go, Mr. Scary is supposed to be the one...But I also think the Grail can be tuned to be pretty SLO-ish...

Hope that helps a bit....

Mattfig said:
Mr Scary is in the grey area of Marshall/Soldano....I still think it sounds like a thicker SL+ but I can recall preferring SL+ to it....I guess as far as stock mods go, Mr. Scary is supposed to be the one...But I also think the Grail can be tuned to be pretty SLO-ish...

Hope that helps a bit....

+1...I still use Mr Scary as a stock module...One of the better ones made. Worth the money if you can find one used.

Hey Matt, what are you using to cover the Soldano area these days? I think you said you had a Masholdano but moved it along?

Stock Mr Scary is definitely one of the better stockies, but lack's some of the mid punch, tight bottom end and clarity that modded Scary's and Soldano mods seem to have.

I have not played a pro modded Scary or Soldano,
but both of my modded Scary's are among my favourite modules. Way better than stock!
One I bought modded, and the other I modded to be almost the same, because when I AB'd them, the stock one was left feeling a bit embarrassed :oops: .

I have a JF Scary (Mr. Soldano), stock SL+, and used to have a stock Scary.

IMHO, I love the SL+ and won't mod it. The JF Scary is similar but has more gain, more lows, tighter bottom, and a slight shift in something I can't really put my finger on. I love this one too.

The stock Scary has a softer/looser bottom, and seemed more compressed from what I can remember. I liked it also and could see where it would fit some tones better than the modded Scary. Overall though, the modded Scary wins.

The stock Scary is real close to the JF SL-OD100. EQ wise they are spot on through my rig. However the JF has more clarity (the stock Scary has a little fuzz). The JF can also get a better lower gain tone as well, not really what a Soldano is know for but can be had. And with the Fluid and Focus switches you can tailor the Bass to your liking & get some extra compression for liquid leads.

You can't go wrong with a stock Scary. I really didn't have an issue with the Scary's tone until A/B'd with the SL-OD100. I still don't have a huge issue with the stock Scary, but if I had to choose & flip one, the stock Scary would go before the JF.

Not even close in my opinion...The Mr. scary in darker and kind of thick sounding.....I havent heard a great module that emmulates the Soldano outside of the Salvado deluxe...The Mashaldano has the flavor.but leans more toward a Marshall......

I'm far from an expert in this field, but one of the best attributes of the modded modules is the feature sets and adjustability of the tone. This really becomes an issue when switching guitars with different pickups and using oddball, tonesucking effects chains. IMO

Daryl said:
Mattfig said:
I have a JF SL-OD100 coming soon...I'll report back...
What? No demo video? :D

Oh yes...There will be a demo....Things here have been very hectic but the vids are rolling again and will be coming at you fast this holiday season...Great mods presented by a jackass with too many toys...

I think that may just become my slogan now that I think of it...Sarcasm and laughing at oneself are almost the same thing... :D

Nice! Clips along the same lines as what you did for the RR model would be great. That one had some bitchin tones. I'm currently up in the air between that RR and a Slo type circuit.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Nice! Clips along the same lines as what you did for the RR model would be great. That one had some bitchin tones. I'm currently up in the air between that RR and a Slo type circuit.

Why choose... just get both. I'm sure Rob wouldn't mind. :lol:

I know! I've inquired about both... for some reason though, I'm leaning towards the SLO. It also has a cooler snakeskin faceplate 8) I've been playing a lot with my braham and a boost lately and ****, I just love it's tone. Maybe I just have a particularly good brahma, but to me this thing is excellent. I think the judge is good but it doesn't make me blow my load.. I think maybe the ian 1987 would be more appealing to me but first up, I'll probably get that slo.

Not even close in my opinion..the scary to slo that is....Ive had a few Soldano modules and havent been that impressed either..The Gigmods Slodano was just too noisy,even at lower gain settings and was nearly as thick as a Soldano,but alot of guys on here seem to like them......The Salvado deluxe was pretty sweet.....You can also get some Soldano tomes out of a Mashaldano with an OD pedal....