Randall RS125CX Review (sort of!)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildchildx

Reaction score
Hi guys,

new to the Randall family. Recently got my first Randall product and it is a Randall RS125CX cab with 2x12 Eminence Legend and 1x15 Eminence Legend speakers. I tried to avoid writing a review too soon as i wanted the 'honeymoon' to be over before i do so. So this is my mini review on the cabinet after a couple of weeks of owning it. Before i bought the cab, i couldn't find any decent reviews, so it was a leap of faith, but the price was right, so i took it and i am glad i did! So, hopefully this review will help others as well. Let's move on:

-Construction: I had heard about Randall cabs being very well made but i was pleasently surprised! The cab is exceptionally made, the tolex is properly applied, the wheels make it easy to move around and one gets easily the feeling of a great quality product. What i really liked of course is that it is totally made of plywood and not MDF, which acoustically makes a big difference. An experienced friend of mine commented that the cab reminded him of Mesa cabs but at much less money.

-Looks: This is totally subjective, but i love the looks of this cab. As i said the tolex is properly applied and the grillcloth along with the "randall" logo make for a very good looking cab!

-Sounds: Let's get to the important stuff! At first i was a little worried about the 15" speaker. I feared that it would sound too bassy and boomy or even worse overpower the 12" speakers. Luckily i was wrong. Compared to a standard 2x12, i can say that what the 15" brings to the table is depth and a more 3-d dimensional sound. The sound is just 'more' of everything without being too bassy or anything like that. It just has more depth.

As for the 12" speakers, i think they are great. They are very well balanced speakers and project the frequencies very evenly. The lows are firm, the mids are solid and the treble is present but without being harsh or ice picky. No V30 mid hump here, fortunately! Overall, i am very pleased with the speakers. I don't play metal or detuned stuff, i am more of a classic/hard rock type and i have to say that the mids remind me somewhat of greenbacks. A friend who plays metal though, tried the cab with his amp/guitar and he said it sounded huge and great for these styles as well.

Overall, even though it is my first contact with the Legend series speakers of Eminence, i am quickly becoming a fan.

-Conclusion: All in all, i think this cab is excellent. The construction quality is excellent and the sounds are there. I wanted a cab that would sound 'big' and the 1x15/2x12 combination does just that! One more good thing is that it can be found in very decent prices. So, thumbs up from me, totally recommended! Would be interested to hear the opinions of other owners as well.