Grail Module v.s. the 1086

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distortoman

Reaction score
Hey all,
Finally got my hands on the new Lynch signature Grail module, and to say the least, I am very impressed. I have been running the Grail module in my RM50HB head with the gain at 5 and the EQ knobs also all at 5, with the bright switch off. Doing this gives me a tight, clear, mid-rangey (in a good way) metal crunch. This module also has a very good amount of low end. As far as nailing the Rectifer tone, to me, it is dead on with the older two-channel models. Overall, the Grail is my favorite module by far, as it fits my style of music (alternative metal) very well. Soloing tones with the Grail are also very good. Unlike some of the others' findings, I found the lead tone of the Grail to be very musical and thick, much more so than my 1086. I also have the 1086 module, and while the 1086 is pretty good as well, I find the Grail has more gain on tap than the 1086, more midrange available (essential for cutting through in a band mix), and more in the way of low end chunk. I tried the two modules side by side in my RM50 Head, and the Grail was more aggressive sounding, thicker, and in my opinion, more articulate than the 1086. I also had a stock Recto module for awhile as well, and as far as the Grail being compared to the Recto/Rectified/Treadplate, there is no contest; the Grail SLAYS the Recto in every way. The Grail has tighter low end, a better midrange voicing, and, actually does sound exactly like a 2-channel Recto. (The old two channel Rectos are what the Grail is based on) The Recto module, however, sounds to me not really like a Recto, but more of a hybrid of a
Mark series amp mixed in with a little bit of the Recto sound. To sum it up, the Grail is the best module that I have found thus far for tight, thick distorted rhythm and lead tones. It also cleans up well when you turn the volume knob down on your guitar, and I use EMG's (81 Bridge and 85 Neck in a Schecter Hellraiser). I currently use the Blackface module for my clean tone and the Grail for my distorted tones. Suits me quite nicely!!!

Awesome to hear that bro! I always wanted to try one, but i ended up with an egnater e-rect from a fellow forumite, so that stopped the gas right there. I bet it must sound killer with the hellraiser!

I would have to agree with almost everything you have said there.
When i first got the grail and mr scary i thought that the mr scary would be better for leads based on bedroom volumes but as it turns out at gigging volumes the grail thickens up really nicely in the top end with none of the high end buzz that turns me off most modern amps. I run the gain at 12oclock, bass at 2oclock, mids at 1oclock, & treble at 10.30, and it is such a clear articulate tone, VERY aggressive but not alot of gain (i would actually disagree that the grail has more gain than the 1086 though), it's definitely the best randall module (at gigging volumes) that i have used and i have tried all the high gain modules and the grail is in my opinion head and shoulders above the rest. But be warned it doesn't have as much gain as the other modules in my opinion, but the gain it does have is very useable.

I too have the Grail and the Recto ( on loan till I get the other Lynch Mods ) and I agree... the Recto is cool and I can get some nice tones but the grail is way better... better clarity is what I noticed right away. the recto can be muddy whereas the Grail is very defined a benifit of this is also better articulation. The gain is simply more refined and has qualities that make it more diverse... te gain control has a better responce and is far better disigned. Grail gain can be cutting and smooth. What a great Mod. I feel that like myself... even if you are not a fan of MB Rec tones you may really like the Grail... stands on it's own merits and is definetly worth a good listen.

Khing

I'm curious how the Recto and Grail circuits differ. Does anybody have top side pics of those modules (without the tube covers in place)?

I was not impressed with Mr Scary, as I felt it was too midrangey and not clear enough, but rather opaque-sounding. If I like the 1086 and Modern sounds a little better than Mr Scary or Treadplate and way better than a 3 channel MB triple rec, do you think I would like the grail module and if so, why?

LTD+MTS=ELATION,
If you like the sound of the older two-channel dual recs, but with tighter lower end and overall note articulation, you will DEFINITELY like the Grail.
The Grail has plenty of midrange on tap, but not the honky kind like the Mr. Scary has, but a more clear, biting low midrange which equals more clarity in an overall band mix. The Grail has plenty of gain on tap, at least for what I play. (Alt/Metal and Modern Metal like KSE, In Flames, etc.) Bear in mind, though, that I use EMG active pickups also, and this brings out alot more gain and clarity than stock passive pickups. Also, the lead tone of the Grail is quite sweet sounding. It is important to note that the Grail sounds better when you turn the amp up. If you play it at bedroom tones, it is not bad, but nothing special. However, when you turn the amp up to gigging and rehearsing volumes, the notes fatten up quite nicely. So, to sum it up, alot of gain on tap, clear, biting midrange, and tight as hell low end are three very good reasons to check out the Grail. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!

My LTD is equiped with EMG actives: the standard 81/85 combo. I have been very impressed with all the differences it has brought to my tone. I have many guitars, but the LTD is my favorite. Yes, I would describe the Mr Scary as honky. I trust your opinion and would like to hear a grail for myself.