Anyone into Martial Arts?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SALVAGED

Reaction score
I started taking a martial arts class last December... and I've been having a great time with it. I've lost about 20 pounds & have gotten really flexible. The style is Eagle Claw Kung Fu.

Anyone else into martial arts? What style?

I've been wanting to check out a Judo club in my area, but I'm quite out of shape (which I'm working on) and I work on the nights they meet.

Trained with former UFC Middleweight, currently ranked #4 in world at 185 - Nate "The Great" Marquardt at his gym here in Denver where I studied Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai, but haven't been able to go in awhile cause my daughter who I watch between film shoots.

I wrestled in school and took up judo when I was 14. It was great. I ended up boxing some in London and that ended up becoming unlicensed fighting...it's addictive. :twisted:

disk11 said:
I've been wanting to check out a Judo club in my area, but I'm quite out of shape (which I'm working on) and I work on the nights they meet.

Yeah, man! You should try to check it out & see if they have other class times. 8)

kc2eeb said:
I practice Show the Gun.

Hey! Isn't that method spelled "Suoi Li Guen"? :lol:

Disciple said:
Trained with former UFC Middleweight, currently ranked #4 in world at 185 - Nate "The Great" Marquardt at his gym here in Denver where I studied Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai, but haven't been able to go in awhile cause my daughter who I watch between film shoots.

Wow! That's impressive! There are a few MMA guys around here... and it seems like Brazilian Ju Jitsu is a main focus for their training... lots of ground work. Muay Thai is AWESOME. Have you seen "Ong Bak 2" with Tony Jaa? What an INCREDIBLE athlete!!

cold Machine said:
I wrestled in school and took up judo when I was 14. It was great. I ended up boxing some in London and that ended up becoming unlicensed fighting...it's addictive. :twisted:

There's a Judo guy in my Kung-Fu class... seems like it would go hand-in-hand with wrestling. I wrestled in Junior High & High School... and I can see some similiarities.

The Kung-Fu class also teaches classical weapon forms... swords, staffs, knives, chain-whip, 3-section staff... My Sifu wants me to learn a few more Eagle Claw forms before he teaches me a weapon. He said I will need those techniques to control the weapon... and also the more advanced footwork, to land the strikes correctly... maybe in 6 months to a year... I REALLY want to learn the 3-section staff... but I have to learn the regular staff first...

I did some tai chi, hung gar, and tai kwan do as a kid. I've only lost one fight and that's because the guy jumped in to help his friend. He broke my nose from behind and i fell dead to the floor. lol. funny now that I think about it.

I started off with Karate, moved through Judo, Kung Fu (I forget the style) bit of Mui Tai and Mongolian Wrestling before settling on Ninjutsu (with the Bujinkan) that I've been doing for the last... 8 or so years plus recently mixing in some Systema.

Nothing like a proper Martial Art for all round fitness. Plus I get to fight with swords.

GuitarGod87 said:
I did some tai chi, hung gar, and tai kwan do as a kid. I've only lost one fight and that's because the guy jumped in to help his friend. He broke my nose from behind and i fell dead to the floor. lol. funny now that I think about it.

My Sifu also teaches Tai Chi, but I haven't attended that class. He said its very similar to Eagle Claw, but focuses on different energy.

Slashpepper said:
I started off with Karate, moved through Judo, Kung Fu (I forget the style) bit of Mui Tai and Mongolian Wrestling before settling on Ninjutsu (with the Bujinkan) that I've been doing for the last... 8 or so years plus recently mixing in some Systema.

Nothing like a proper Martial Art for all round fitness. Plus I get to fight with swords.

Wow! Ninjutsu is cool! 8)

I ALMOST bought a home training course from Master Richard Van Donk... but I really wanted to train, in-person, with an instructor. I'm sure the DVD's are fine, but I'm more motivated, attending the class. I couldn't find anyone around here who teaches that... but then I discovered the Eagle Claw school. I went & checked it out... and I was hooked. :D

I just started BJJ and Judo this semester, I've got a grappling tournament in November, I guess we'll see how I do in the novice division :)

I is be sexy said:
I just started BJJ and Judo this semester, I've got a grappling tournament in November, I guess we'll see how I do in the novice division :)

AWESOME!! Let us know how you do!

I'm hoping to test for my next belt, at the end of the year... it's a form called "Sui Ying Kuen". I have about 2/3's of it down, but I'm stuck on the series of blocks towards the end... it looks like a flury of hands, and I just haven't made sense of it yet... LOL!!

SALVAGED said:
Wow! Ninjutsu is cool! 8)

I ALMOST bought a home training course from Master Richard Van Donk... but I really wanted to train, in-person, with an instructor. I'm sure the DVD's are fine, but I'm more motivated, attending the class. I couldn't find anyone around here who teaches that... but then I discovered the Eagle Claw school. I went & checked it out... and I was hooked. :D

It's a pity really, Mr Van Donk is a really skilled Martial Artist but you really can't learn the art without touching anyone, you have to be able to manipulate the other person's body structure by feel alone and there's no way you can do that from a DVD! Surely he would know this... Bizarre.

Every time I remember that I'm a black belt Ninja, my inner child jumps for joy, lol.

Slashpepper said:
Every time I remember that I'm a black belt Ninja, my inner child jumps for joy, lol.

LOL!! :lol: :lol: I would too, if I were you! Just curious, what part of the country are you in? I see there's a school located in Colorado Springs... I was in C.S last summer... If I had known about it, I surely would've checked it out.

I'm in a different country altogether I'm afraid, the UK, lol. It's a fascinating art. I chose it over most other ones because it really goes into the physics of what works and why.

Hideously complicated to learn in some ways, but you do really end up seeing people as a set of hinges and pistons to manipulate however you want. I have a degree in Physics so it rather compelled me!

Just be careful who you train with, there are some awful instructors out there that have no idea what they're doing and to a far greater extent in the US than over here. Ninjutsu has earnt quite a bad name for itself unfortunately :-(

Slashpepper said:
I'm in a different country altogether I'm afraid, the UK, lol.
oh, ok... :lol:

Slashpepper said:
It's a fascinating art. I chose it over most other ones because it really goes into the physics of what works and why.
Yeah, it definitely does look fascinating! I'm really intrigued by the physics & philosophy behind Kung-Fu, as well. That's one of the reasons I chose it over the other styles that were available locally. Most others were almost a sport, instead of an art & way of life. Sounds like Ninjusu is like that too. I can see why you chose it. :)

Slashpepper said:
Hideously complicated to learn in some ways, but you do really end up seeing people as a set of hinges and pistons to manipulate however you want. I have a degree in Physics so it rather compelled me!
I'm no where near competent in the art yet... but I'm starting to see things that way too. Very cool. :)

Slashpepper said:
Just be careful who you train with, there are some awful instructors out there that have no idea what they're doing and to a far greater extent in the US than over here. Ninjutsu has earnt quite a bad name for itself unfortunately :-(
Yeah, it seems like everybody is an instructor these days. My Sifu trained to master level, under Grandmaster Leung Shum. I got to meet Grandmaster Shum about 2 months ago... it was an honor to meet a martial arts icon!

Hey guys =)
just wanted to jump in....

Salvaged your thread has really made me think of starting martial arts again :wink:

Started with Karate when I was a kid but didn't really like it, thanks to a bad instructor. Then changed to Wing Chun Kung Fu which was great. I did that for 2-3 years and my cousin is in Wing Tsun Kung Fu for like 10 years which made it really interesting when we met and practiced together. Can't really remember why I dropped Kung Fu (was about 5 years ago) but how ever I started Capoeira and we had different people to train with in a Gym where there were trained like 5 martial art forms (the sifu was a beast, training Kickboxing, Escrima, Karate, knowing a lot of Kung Fu, and Muy Thai).
Due to the different people we incorporated some things from muy thai in our capoeira class and so on which was really fun.
So after doing 5 years of capoeira I dropped that too because of lack of time and lack of money :(

I'll report back to you when I know if I start something again.... have to see what's available round here :)

Katash said:
Salvaged your thread has really made me think of starting martial arts again :wink:

You should totally start again!! 8)

Katash said:
Started with Karate when I was a kid but didn't really like it, thanks to a bad instructor. Then changed to Wing Chun Kung Fu which was great. I did that for 2-3 years and my cousin is in Wing Tsun Kung Fu for like 10 years which made it really interesting when we met and practiced together. Can't really remember why I dropped Kung Fu (was about 5 years ago) but how ever I started Capoeira and we had different people to train with in a Gym where there were trained like 5 martial art forms (the sifu was a beast, training Kickboxing, Escrima, Karate, knowing a lot of Kung Fu, and Muy Thai).
Due to the different people we incorporated some things from muy thai in our capoeira class and so on which was really fun.
So after doing 5 years of capoeira I dropped that too because of lack of time and lack of money :(

Wow! Sounds like you have quite a bit experience with different styles!! What did you think of Wing Chun? That style looks GREAT! Have you seen the "Ip Man" movies with Donnie Yen?

Katash said:
I'll report back to you when I know if I start something again.... have to see what's available round here :)

Yes, please do!

At 9, started with shotokan karate (black belt academy in Houston)
Early teens dabbled in Kung Fu, aikijitsu, and whatever anyone would show me (I'd hang around and bug the older guys, so they taught me to shut me up)
College I started in KajuKenbo for 4 years, fought tournaments
California studied a little Aikido, but mainly started fighting full contact with a team from the Kenpo school (needed to learn to punch better)
Laid off for a while and started agin in my late 30's back in Kajukenbo but couldn't keep it up with my powerlifting training, I could never recover.

It has been invaluable and I highly recommend it to people, but finding a GOOD SCHOOL is hard.
I sat in schools and watched classes at about 20 places I did not want to train at, because they didn't have good basics, so the schools I did study at were quite good. And they often beat me like a drum.
At 6'2" and 225lbs, in pretty good shape, I don't really have to use it, but knowing it's there is awesome.

I started studying martial arts when I was about 22 years old. I studied Aikido for about 5 years, ending up with me going to Japan to study at the Iwama Dojo (which the founder of Aikido built). Took a break from Aikido after my sensei moved to Sweden, then started doing Capoeira for a couple years, then jumped into MMA for another couple years after that. I am actually resuming my Aikido training *today* to finish off my shodan.

Very cool to see that there are other martial artists here :)