Stupid Question of the Year...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, here goes! This is gonna be in the running for "Stupid Question of the Year" award!

I just cracked open my brand spankin' new RT100h and flipped through the owner manual. I saw that I need a "speaker cable." Well, looking up "speaker cables" online, I immediately noticed they look exactly like the same cables that go from an electric guitar to the amplifier.

Now, here's that stupid question... Are they the same, or do they just look the same as a guitar cord? :oops:

they are not the same! different shielding or something. if you use an instrument cable into a cab at high volumes you could blow up the transformer in your amp! invest in a decent speaker cable they're not expensive! :!:

Wookieslayer said:
they are not the same! different shielding or something. if you use an instrument cable into a cab at high volumes you could blow up the transformer in your amp! invest in a decent speaker cable they're not expensive! :!:

Glad I asked! A buddy of mine told me they were the same. He has a a halfstack so I figured he would've known, but I guess not!

for a 100 watt head, get a minimum pf 16 gauge speaker cable, 14 is even better, spend a little extra and get e 6' instead of a 3', one day you'll need the little extra

ctgblue said:
for a 100 watt head, get a minimum pf 16 gauge speaker cable, 14 is even better, spend a little extra and get e 6' instead of a 3', one day you'll need the little extra

Any particular brand recommendations? For as much money as I spent, I'll go with the 14 gauge...

no need to buy anything too fance for bedroom use
I wouldn't even bother with 14 gauge, 16 is fine, we used 16 with our 1000 watt power amps on stage

just a musicians friedn special

I like this one, because I like 10-15 feet (it comes in handy sometimes)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-16-gauge-speaker-cable

ctgblue said:
no need to buy anything too fance for bedroom use
I wouldn't even bother with 14 gauge, 16 is fine, we used 16 with our 1000 watt power amps on stage

just a musicians friedn special

I like this one, because I like 10-15 feet (it comes in handy sometimes)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/live-wire-16-gauge-speaker-cable

All I could find at the local stores were 16 gauges, so I picked up one by CBI. I should get the cabinet either tomorrow or Wednesday, hopefully. I got the head last week.

OOOhhhh, I'd be going crazy with an amp and nothing to play it through. It was bad enough when I had a cab and didn't have the amp yet.

The new head I am getting will be sharing the speakers in the 212 combo I've got. Stupid me sold the Bugera 212 cab, ******! It was perfect. 140 watt and only 48 lbs. I didn't want another 100lb 4x12 cab

So now I'll be running through the Weber attenuator into the speakers and swapping out leads from the combo and the head.

Have you thought about a 212 cab?
Guitar center has some used ones like the Bugera for under $150 and they will drop ship to the local store or to your door for ~~$20 or so.
If you plan on hauling it around, it might make a lot more sense than a 412 cab.

If you want a 412, used ones are the way to go. I like the Peavey with the Sheffield speakers. Relatively lightweight and priced right AND can handle serious power but still sound good low volume.

ctgblue said:
OOOhhhh, I'd be going crazy with an amp and nothing to play it through. It was bad enough when I had a cab and didn't have the amp yet.

The new head I am getting will be sharing the speakers in the 212 combo I've got. Stupid me sold the Bugera 212 cab, ******! It was perfect. 140 watt and only 48 lbs. I didn't want another 100lb 4x12 cab

So now I'll be running through the Weber attenuator into the speakers and swapping out leads from the combo and the head.

Have you thought about a 212 cab?
Guitar center has some used ones like the Bugera for under $150 and they will drop ship to the local store or to your door for ~~$20 or so.
If you plan on hauling it around, it might make a lot more sense than a 412 cab.

If you want a 412, used ones are the way to go. I like the Peavey with the Sheffield speakers. Relatively lightweight and priced right AND can handle serious power but still sound good low volume.

I should have my cab here today or tomorrow, hopefully. I ordered a G412 from Avatar last week and they told me it'd be here around Tuesday or Wednesday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I went with a combo of 2 Celestion Vintage 30s and 2 Celestion K100s. It should sound awesome!