Grail Vs Others

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
I have a Grail. I bough it on a whim, expecting to mod it, but to my surprise, I've been quite enjoying it. I know people rag on the stock modules, but It's not that bad, is it? Does anyone else like the Grail? How does it compare to modded recto type mods?

I liked my stock Grail. Gigmods Recto includes a red channel that is modded to Grail specs, and to my ears they were extremely similar.

I had my Grail modded into a Sacred Groove Diablo. Obviously I wasn't able to A/B them, but I made a recording of the Grail before I sent it out so I could compare afterwards. The difference between them was not as drastic as I was expecting. The Diablo is definitely more versatile, what with the orange/red channel switch. The top end on the Grail seemed a little more compressed and sort of "papery" than that of the Diablo--not necessarily in a bad way, just different. All in all, I'd say that the mod is worth it but not necessarily a must-have. The stock Grail is plenty capable of good early Recto tones.

crankyrayhanky said:
I liked my stock Grail. Gigmods Recto includes a red channel that is modded to Grail specs, and to my ears they were extremely similar.

This is pretty much spot on....the Grail is extremely close to Pete's red mode. I had 3 or 4 recto style modules at one time....I still have my Grail and the only reason I kept the Deaplate over the Gigmods was this similarity....the Deadplate offers something a little different because of the way it's built.

I've always enjoyed using my Grail for leads, it seems to sustain into feedback very easily.

the Grail is the only stocker that is worth keeping a stocker, loved getting that Soundgarden Superunkown type early recto sound with it.

I decided to update my Grail vs. Diablo comparison recording with a clip of the Diablo after its latest revision from Scott (he came up with a tweak in the circuit that makes it feel a little tighter). Here's a clip of both. Listening to it now, I definitely think the Diablo has a lead over the Grail in terms of accuracy and overall quality, but still, the Grail's fun.

http://genitalhercules.com/~mcrowe/misc_mp3/grail.mp3
http://genitalhercules.com/~mcrowe/misc_mp3/diablo.mp3

Mikal69 said:
the Grail is the only stocker that is worth keeping a stocker, loved getting that Soundgarden Superunkown type early recto sound with it.

I agree Grail is worth keeping for stockers. Still have mine and cuts like a knife. Definitely a nice change of pace from my Marshall/Bogner modules.

So I assume the Grail is supposed to be closer to the 2 channel Rectos where the other stock recto mods are probably based on the 3 channels?

Mikal69 said:
It'll sound really familiar to your tremoverb....

That explains why so many people like it 8)
That would be awesome to be even 90% close to that tone without having to worry about something happening to my tremoverb, Grail is now on my wanted list!

Wow...the Grail actually sounds better than teh Diablo in those clips....alot cleaner and not as fuzzy....

alowerdeep said:
Wow...the Grail actually sounds better than teh Diablo in those clips....alot cleaner and not as fuzzy....

DITTO !!

me like the Grail :D :shock: :D

I liked the Grail for the most part better, especially the noodling. It had more cut. The Diablo was heavier sounding & for the rhythm you were playing was probably a good thing. In a mix I don't know, I would think the Grail would sit better.

yep..I wanted a Diablo and didnt have much luck when I had a Grail,but hearing this clip and watching the vid of the Diablo,I may have to revisit the grail....

I'm a lousy salesman for Scott's modules, apparently! Seriously, though, both modules have their strong points. The Grail has a cool top end cut to it, but the Diablo has a low-mid punch that I don't think is necessarily coming through in these clips, probably because I recorded them using a cab sim in Guitar Rig. All depends on what you're after. The Diablo is kind of fuzzier too, though I think that actually makes it cooler. It's great for stoner type riffs.

Really?My exoerience with both grails,one was modded was that it was kind of dull/dark sounding...Im a salvation junkie and all of his modules seem to work well with the Density and presence at about any level,you just have to work to eq....most otehr modules are not like that and I was trying to use the grail with my Mashaldano and my Stonerverb...it just wouldnt get bright enough,even with the mids and treble very high.....just never really messed with the density/presence much when I had it....The Mr. Scary was like that as well.....definately thought the grail had more clarity in the clips....I know it is hard to tell sonic quality unless you are in the room....tones sounded similar,the grail was just much cleaner and tighter,which is what I like...not a fan of the rectoish fuzz....which is what L liked about the Salvation DP...very clean and clear....

Just got a MT100 over the weekend, and it had a Grail in it. Very cool.

I have severe GAS for the Camerock, but the Grail will be in use at the next gig